iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hand hewing Timbers

Started by Zeke, November 09, 2005, 10:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeke

Any advice on learning to hand hew timbers? How aboat a decent priced broad axe?

I'm wanting to spend the winter hewing timbers. So, maybe I can start building my garage this summer.

Zeke

krusty

Well I have myself a Gransfors broadaxe and really like it. I tend to hew with the log at hip height. How much detail are you looking for? Sobon's books has an intro and some tidbits.

HARLEYRIDER

be sure you know how to sharpen your adze to work for your height/style of adzing
Greenwoods Timberworks

ARKANSAWYER

Most of the time I try to buck off the first 8 ft and saw that into lumber as it has the most taper.   If I want to remove large chuncks of wood I hew from the butt of the log.  When I get ready to dress I hew form the little end.   Pop chalk lines down the sides then score with a chainsaw so you will not lose the lines and have to re-pop.   I adze and use a broad axe while standing on the log.   Last ones I made I sawed over size on the Wanda then hewed them down for looks.   The people were amazed at how true and square one can chop out a timber.  ;)
ARKANSAWYER

Fla._Deadheader

Here's the number. Auction ends TODAY

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!