iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Close call!

Started by Furby, November 24, 2005, 12:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Got up and found this today.  :o

The tree never even gave 60 mph winds a second glance several times over the last few weeks, but a little lake effect storm and she comes down.  ::)

I had moved the mill on Monday to where it is in the pic so I could take it over to my Grandma's yesterday. Thought about parking it where the tree is now, but left it where it is.
Plans changed and I didn't move the mill yesterday.
Kinda glad I didn't park it over farther, but after thinking about it, a new mill would have been better! :D

There happens to be a couple of small logs there, so I may finally get to mill some White Pine. ;D 8)

Tom

You pulled the fat out of the fire, Furby.   Somedays luck smiles on a fellow.

I've had an entire building come down on top of my mill with the tree that caused the problem lying on top of everything.  We carefull  cut the tree up and removed it and found that the rafters had fallen in such a manner as to protect the mill.   Three more inches and my old LT40 would have been toast.  No telling how many thousands of pounds were hanging precariously over it. :D

I laugh now.  :-\

Glad you got a picture of that.  Ten years from now it will make quite a story.  If I were you, I would be thinking up embellishments already.  :P :D

Murf

DanG, he's got the trees so well trained they head for the mill all by themselves.  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Ernie

It''s obvious---- God loves saw millers 8) 8) 8)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Husband

That was a close one :o, whats the white stuff around it :D, is it the sawdust from the white pine ???

Fla._Deadheader

Me thinks Furby did the "Vonage" commercial and got lucky.  :o :o  Then the white stuff covered his tracks.  ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

hawby

Hey Furby that was real close huh? What a night of wind and white stuff!!!! I got up at 1:30 and it was blowin' in all directions around the house.

I had a close one yesterday. Was backing a load of old boards up to a ravine to dump them. Well, the slope was just enough, there was more weight than my 1500 GMC could handle, and the snow was just slick enough that I back it right on over into the ravine. My back tires of the GMC were right at the edge of the ravine when it finally stopped sliding.

I got the neighbor to pull me out with his BIG tractor. No damage to anything...'cept my pride  :-[

Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

chet

Furb,
What's dat sittin' on top yur mill?  ???  A fold up extension?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Furby

Quote from: Chet on November 24, 2005, 08:58:43 PM
What's dat sittin' on top yur mill? ??? A fold up extension?
Dat's a pallet that needs to go over to my Grandma's to stack wood on.
It's too long to sit on the rear of the mill, and too long for the front, and I'm not making two trips.
I had the mill already to go except for the straps on the pallet and ramps, didn't want the straps to freeze in place so I was waiting with them until I was ready to go.

Still, I wouldn't have minded if it got smashed because it's not a business and not high $ so it's covered under my homeowners policy.
Would like a newer mill though, oh well. ;D

Sounds like ya had fun Hawby, maybe not as much as if the tires had slipped a couple more inches eh? :D
Pride can be fixed cheaper then the truck! ;)

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

Furby

Boy did you get lucky on deciding to move the mill.
I think the winds started around 4 a.m. this morning.  That is when stump jumper headed to Tennessee with his brother well they actually left about 4:30 a.m. we were packing the truck and it was snowing and blowing and cold.  

Delcy - Morley, MI
'07 F350 Dually, Diesel, Flatbed
3 Lovely Children Jonathon, Monica, and (Jeff)
2 Brittany Spaniels:  Buddy and Pumpkin Pie

sawguy21

Quote from: hawby on November 24, 2005, 08:05:27 PM

I got the neighbor to pull me out with his BIG tractor. No damage to anything...'cept my pride  :-[

And yer laundry ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

iain

Furby how long you bin millin
you should know how the self loading works by now

and we almost got wtite stuff, got our first frost last week
the birch and cherry still got good leaf on them

iain

Thank You Sponsors!