iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this possible to fix?

Started by rusted, December 04, 2005, 03:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusted

This is a Craftsman Model # 358.355051-2.0/14" AV

This a a re-badged Poulan saw.  I don't know the model number of the Poulan and forgot to ask.

I tried to source a piston kit and cylinder from Poulan, and called their parts number.  I gave her my Craftsman part number and she was able to find the saw but said they no long carried the piston kit and cylinder.

The Craftsman parts site also says they do not carry the cylinder and piston kit.

Could I just replace the ring on this thing and use it again?

If not, how could I source a new piston and cylinder? 

Or, could I just bore out this cylinder and use an oversize piston, and how would I go about finding a bigger piston for this?

I have a Husky 350, and this saw is probably one of the most dangerous tools I own, but I'd like to use it as a 'rescue' saw.  Also, my FIL gave it to me and I burned it up, so I want to fix it for sure.   :D

rusted

I think this is a Poulan model 2000.

Rocky_J

Anything is possible. Dumping more than 30 minutes or $20 into that saw wouldn't make a lot of financial sense though.

If you owned an '87 Yugo with a blown motor, how much time and money would you invest to rebuild it? Even after all your time and money, you'd still just have a rebuilt Yugo. For the cost of fixing it, you could buy a used replacement or make a big down payment on a new one.

sawguy21

What Rocky said. Even if you just replace the ring, it will seize up again as soon as it gets hot.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rusted

Quote from: Rocky_J on December 04, 2005, 04:20:10 PM
Anything is possible. Dumping more than 30 minutes or $20 into that saw wouldn't make a lot of financial sense though.

If you owned an '87 Yugo with a blown motor, how much time and money would you invest to rebuild it? Even after all your time and money, you'd still just have a rebuilt Yugo. For the cost of fixing it, you could buy a used replacement or make a big down payment on a new one.

I hear ya :D

Notice I said my FIL gave it to me.  Otherwise it would be in the trash already. 

rusted

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 04, 2005, 04:26:19 PM
What Rocky said. Even if you just replace the ring, it will seize up again as soon as it gets hot.

It will?  Well I guess that decides it.

Why would that happen though?

timberjack240

just save yur self the time and go buy a husky  ;D  8)

solodan

Quote from: timberjack240 on December 04, 2005, 05:45:58 PM
just save yur self the time and go buy a husky ;D 8)

yeah, and then you can put the craftsmen stickers on it and your FIL will never know. also you won't have to worry about anybody ripping it off if you just leave it in the back of your truck. ;D

Mr Mom

i like my craftman chainsaw had it for 5 or 6 years now. never had problem with it. cut trees down and lots and lots of firewood.
When i got it people said that it would not last one year.
i just mix the fuel with a little more oil.

woodbowl

Rusted, .......... I think you aught to give it a shot! Hone that cylinder a little, clean up the ring grooves and piston skirt, and put in some new rings. Start using a hot plug and mix your 2-cycle oil heavy or even better, use a 2-cycle stabilizer. (not sure if there is such a thing) Lucas products makes an oil stabilizer for 4-cycle engines. It fills the ring grooves, thus increasing compression and performance. For the price of a set of rings, it would be an interesting test with the possibility of getting some more life out of your saw. If it smokes but has acceptable power, so be it. Plugs will fowl a little sooner. Be sure to post us some pics with the results.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

solodan

Quote from: Mr Mom on December 05, 2005, 09:11:27 AM
i like my craftman chainsaw had it for 5 or 6 years now. never had problem

Actually, I was just joking with my comment. I have one too that I can't seem to kill. I have other saws so I don't really use it much, but it does run good.
When I first got the saw it didn't run good at all, but then I ripped those limiter caps off the adjustments and it ran great when I ran it at a higher rpm.
I also drilled holes in the cover to give it more air. I didn't think it would last but it's been about 5 years.

junkyard

Hone the jug . Take the piston to a machine shop were thewy can spray weld and turn it back to the right size. Take the jug with you they may be able to sray weld that also. It is not cheap but if you realy want it to run again.
               Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Chris J

That piston is a goner, probably the jug too.  Buy a runner at a local flea market, or maybe eBayware. chances are your FIL won't know the difference.  To be fair, I've read some good things about the Pulan 2000/Craftsman 2.0.

Aw ra best!  Chris J.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

rusted

Quote from: woodbowl on December 05, 2005, 09:57:36 AM
Rusted, .......... I think you aught to give it a shot! Hone that cylinder a little, clean up the ring grooves and piston skirt, and put in some new rings. Start using a hot plug and mix your 2-cycle oil heavy or even better, use a 2-cycle stabilizer. (not sure if there is such a thing) Lucas products makes an oil stabilizer for 4-cycle engines. It fills the ring grooves, thus increasing compression and performance. For the price of a set of rings, it would be an interesting test with the possibility of getting some more life out of your saw. If it smokes but has acceptable power, so be it. Plugs will fowl a little sooner. Be sure to post us some pics with the results.

Now I like the way you think.  I'm sure I can get a ring for anything. 

If I'm out a $15 gasket kit, so what.  I like to work on it.

My concerns with safety have to do with no chain brake, the kill switch being a little 'non ergonomic', and one other major flaw.

The throttle trigger sticks in the WOT position.  :D  I can fix that though.

I just gotta try it...

twostroke_blood

Quote from: junkyard on December 05, 2005, 01:42:57 PM
Hone the jug . Take the piston to a machine shop were thewy can spray weld and turn it back to the right size. Take the jug with you they may be able to sray weld that also. It is not cheap but if you realy want it to run again.
               Junkyard

Why don't more people think this way?  We live in such a throw away society.  With all the parts available on ebay, I can run my Super XL's virtually forever.

Minnesota_boy

Great idea, keep fixing up the old stuff.  Why, I could probably find parts somewhere to fix up the old Pioneer NU-17 that my dad once used.  That way I could go through life using an underpowered 30 Lb. saw instead of a newer Stihl or Husky.  Why, I could get plenty of exercise just carrying it around, wouldn't have to get any work done to be exhausted at the end of the day.  8) 8) :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

twostroke_blood

I only have one 30Lb saw, and it ain't "under powered." Actually, I have 4 of them  :D. 8 saws all together. My cars are new, my sawmill is new, this computer, and my other computer are new.  I just like vintage saws and tractors, what can I say   ;D? If I depended on chainsaws to make my living, I'm sure I would have the newest, best one on the market. For now anyway, it's just a hobby. I will say this though, I didn't get in a position to buy all that other new stuff by throwing stuff away while it still had usefulness. " Watch your nickels and the dollars will fall into place.''

Tom

I have always liked to hear those old Homelites run.  They sound like a one lung John deer tractor under load.

twostroke_blood

Yes, they sure do Tom.  Many of these old saws have sentimental value to them as well.  My grandfather, and my dad are gone, but I still run their saw. when, and if it dies too,  I'd like to know that there is a way of fixing them up.

Al_Smith

Nothing is impossible to repair but perhaps impracticle.Not to step on anybodys toes but boring over sized would not work for sevaral reasons.First it's a chrome lined cylinder secondly,unlike auto engines,saw engines unless real old don't have overbore pistons available[with exception of course].
My suggestion would be to get a clunker,e-bay maybe and mix and match.

scottr

If that is a Craftsman/Poulan 2000 then the cylinder is aluminum and the piston is chrome plated according to Acresinternet and when I look at my 2000 I'd have to say the cylinder is not plated but the piston is plated . Just be patient and you'll find a used piston , ring , and cylinder .   Scott

hydro2

Quote from: Tom on December 10, 2005, 03:58:45 PM
I have always liked to hear those old Homelites run.  They sound like a one lung John deer tractor under load.

Actually they were two lungers.  :)
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

Thank You Sponsors!