iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what do you think lumber prices will do over the next 4 months

Started by brdmkr, December 06, 2005, 11:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I am planning on building a shop and have started getting lumber quotes.  I could go ahead and purchase the lumber now and store it without much effort, but I won't actually build for at least 3 - 4 months.  So, how about some speculation?  What do you think lumber prices will do over the next few months?   Should I buy now and store or wait until I am ready?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

ronwood

I have to agree with Tom on that one. Did that recently on my roof that I built for the sawmill. Skidded in some tree that were down and start cutting.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Frank_Pender

Well, I just came in from the midst of the Coast Range and we are getting
$785 of Douglas Fir and the same for Alder for good Alder sawlogs, down to 7" tops.
That is good if you and on the log selling end; not so good if you are on the lumber buying end. :-\
Frank Pender

etat

Around here bought lumber prices are always cheaper in the winter time because often there's not as much construction going on. It always goes back up in the spring.  I don't know how all of the storm damage will effect that this year but if I was buying lumber and had a place to store it I'd buy it in the winter time. At one time I had almost a whole house full of lumber stored in my shop.  I saved a ton of money too by not waiting until spring when it went up again.   
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

broker farmer

I would tend to agree with cktate.  I deal with the lumber market traded on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange.  Lumber trades in increments of 110,000 brd ft.  Right now the January 06  contract is trading at $329.00 per thousand brd ft.  March 06 is trading at $342.00.  Interestingly, May lumber is lower at $337.00.
Many of the market indicators I watch tell me that there is a possibility that lumber prices could weaken some more in the near term.  It's possible that the March contract could move down into the $323.00 range.  My point is that the near term contract (January06)  could also weaken which would point towards possible lower retail prices.  I would buy my lumber between now and the middle of January.  It looks higher after that.  The lumber market traded in Chicago is EXTREMELY volatile!  (I may be right with my "speculation" or I may miss it by a mile.  Reader be aware.  Many of the lumber yards are also working off of extremely high priced inventory right now and may be unwilling to pass along much savings because of it.  Shop around.

rbjones03

Overall I think the prices for construction lumber and sheet material ( OSB, plywood and T-111 siding)  will be higher. The rebuilding of the gulf coast should be in full swing and even if the supply of raw materials is abundant from the downed timber from the storms, the manufacturers are still going to charge as much as the market will bear. I have quite a few friend in the construction business and they are all buying their materials on spec. right now. Even if the jobs are 4 - 6 months out.

Then again I could be wrong  smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch 
Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

brdmkr

Well, it sounds like the consensus is to buy within the next month.  I would cut my own, but that stamp is needed on this one!  I will be cutting my own siding.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

ronwood

The old stamp gets you again. Tough to get your own lumber graded.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

SwampDonkey

There are at least two prices here on lumber, one the construction contractor pays and the second is what the home owner pays. Prices here don't seem to work the way you guys describe it. Once she goes up, it never comes down.  Sawlog price is lower than it was 5 years ago but the lumber is higher at the lumber yard. ;D  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kirk_Allen

Arky's got a stamp.  SSMU - Small Saw MIlls United! 

Nothing to stop you from using your own stamp provide you know what your doing! 

srjones

QuoteSo, how about some speculation?

I can speculate that when I need sell logs, the price will be down, and when I need to buy lumber, the price will be up.   :D

Just seems to work out like that...

Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

Tony

I've got a 30 x 40 sawshed to build and a sideshed on the shop.
I think I'll saw my on lumber, now where is that chainsaw. ;D 8) ;D

Tony
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Thank You Sponsors!