iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Following the Trail of Moose

Started by SwampDonkey, January 28, 2006, 03:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Moose Trails

Moose beds, the first shot had 6 moose beds. The bottom shot was a solitary bed. Saw two other areas with a pair of beds each. These beds were seen on old skidder paths the moose where using for trails.

For some reason the moose are shedding early. ??? Could the mild weather be contributing. Today it was 40 F, the last two days it was down in the teens at night. Long range temperature forecast is mild and above normal.

I thought it would be fitting to get a shot of Moose Mountain, which is across the Saint John River valley in a farming community called.....well you guessed it...Moose Mountain. The mountain is 8 miles away as the crow flies from my position in the field. ;D

Sorry, I did not sight any moose today, except I did flush a flock of four ruffed grouse feeding on fallen seeds on the snow.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Thanks for the pictures, SD  :) I see quite a few moose tracks, too. Some places it looks like they had a big party and then stumbled off into the bush :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Kevin

Are you sure that wasn't the pig roast ?

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D  What's going on at them piggy roasts anyway?  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Gonna have to go to one and find out eh? ;D

SwampDonkey

Here is an antler a moose dropped this winter. The area had alot of moose scrapes on the hardwood and aspen trees. It's in the same general area as the moose beds seen in the previous posted. Notice the coyote tracks around the antler.  You s'pose the moose is still attached to the antler? ;)

Dana

Thats great finding that antler! I sure hope you took it home. I found a deer antler shed once in our hay field. The mice usually get to them first for the calcium. :(
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

SwampDonkey

No I have no use for it. And besides it was frozen in ice. Maybe it will benefit some starving animal. ;)

Jeff

I am a starving animal. Do you remember where it was? ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

Quote from: Dana on February 16, 2006, 02:39:30 PM
The mice usually get to them first for the calcium. :(

Thats a myth,I've seen a pack of Mice take down a healthy Moose just for sport  :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

sprucebunny

Paul, I definately want to see the movie of that :D :D :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sawguy21

Those west coast mice sure are tough.  :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paul_H

I heard those New Hampshire Pyro-mice can be equally viscious  ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!