iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tending your little piece of earth

Started by SwampDonkey, December 11, 2005, 01:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

So what will you do, go back to that first whorl and cut all of the leaders, including the current apical bud, off at the base and leave just one of them to become the dominant apical/terminal bud?

SwampDonkey

Ok, I thought it would be interesting to see how much volume is present in 2007 on my thinned section of the woodlot. I used a plot radius of 10 m and a plot spacing of 100 meters. I will update the table as I gather the data.  Trees 6 feet and taller are measured. ;D

Update: Nov 26,2007                 # plots: 14    Stand #: 3        Area: 10 ha

SPECIES      TALLY  DENSITY(st/ha)   BASAL AREA(m2/ha)   VOLUME(m3/ha)  CORD/AC

Black Spruce  434        987                       1                          4              0.716
White Spruce   38          86                      +                          1              0.179
Red Spruce       0            0                       0                          0                  0
Balsam Fir      287         653                       2                          7             1.253
White Pine        4             9                       +                          +                 +
Red Pine           0             0                       0                          0                 0
Larch              16            36                        +                         +                +
Cedar              5             11                       +                         +                +
Aspen            93           212                       +                          1            0.196
Red Maple      84           191                       +                          1            0.196
Sugar Maple    29           89                       +                          +                +
Black Ash        21           48                       +                          +                +
White Ash       38           86                       +                          +               +
White Birch      2             5                         +                          +               +
Yellow Birch     1             2                         +                          +               +
Red Oak          1             2                         +                          +               +
Ironwood         0             0                         0                          0               0
Elm                 0             0                         0                          0               0
Basswood        0             0                         0                          0               0
Butternut        0             0                         0                          0               0
Cherry            0             0                         0                          0               0
=================================================================
Total             1063        2418                      3                        14            2.54

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Not sure yet Tom. I'll have to assess it a bit. I'll take pictures of the process of selection.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Here is the Norway spruce damage.

Damaged leader

We've just diagnosed the bug as white pine weevil. Yup it hits spruce to, but mostly Norway spruce and White spruce.

tonich

Weevils are usually polyphages. Nevertheless they are commonly spread among young pine/spruce plantations here, they appear as secondary insects. Usually they are attracted by weakened trees, which have some sort of physiology disturbance.
In your particular case, the soil might be not drained enough if it is a flat/low country (it looks to me so), which might be critical for the good physiology sometimes.  Spruce prefers moist sites, but still well drained.

Another good reason for spreading their influence could be a number of stumps, which are ideal places for hibernation.

The worst thing here is that hit is somewhere around the zone of best quality logs. Thus it probably can affect the future log price. On the other hand, I hope you don’t have many trees attacked.  ;)

SwampDonkey

It is flat ground with gentle rises. Soil is sandy clay loam and gravelly on elevated sites and organic with gravel on low sites. There is no heavy clay and the root restricting layer is shallow because the water table fluctuates seasonally. The highest sites seem to favor hardwoods and fir and lower ground favors more cedar, aspen and spruce. Fir on the low ground is necrotic. But, the tree has been growing fast the last 3 years, over 30 inches a year. It's growing on an elevated site. Can't count height growth this year because the weevils killed the top.  In 2006 the tree grew 33 inches. ;)

At eleven years since planting, the volume is about 2.5 cords/acre. It was the same for 5, 10 and 14 plots measured. ;D

SwampDonkey

A small piece of land I own across the opposite side of my brook needed tending where the softwood were growing. Today, I took the brush saw and made the 1 km hike to the back of the lot. I had to walk across a small wetland and later a small beaver dam to reach the softwood.

Here is the site before the job.

The beavers have been busy lately, cutting aspen in behind the fir stand for winter food.

After the first tank. I found a few spruce along the bank of the stream, a couple in the foreground here.

The images are a bit fogged up, because my lens got condensation between steam rolling off me and high humidity of the air. A couple of images in the middle of it after the job was done. It took me about 4 tanks to cut about 1/2 an acre. I was done at 12:00 pm.

One last shot from the beaver dam looking back as I was exiting the site. This is the same vantage as the first picture. Used wide angle lens.

I pruned the buts up 5 or 6 feet with the brush saw as well.

After the first picture I took crossing the dam, I managed to sink up to my knees in muck and water, so that was nice. ::)

SwampDonkey

The hardwoods in the middle two pictures where sugar "rock" maples. The beavers like to cut them to.  :-X >:(

Mooseherder

Looks like a Moose friendly lot. ;D :D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 25, 2007, 12:48:00 PM
Here is the Norway spruce damage.

Damaged leader

We've just diagnosed the bug as white pine weevil. Yup it hits spruce to, but mostly Norway spruce and White spruce.

The spruce has recovered from the damage and little evidence of any damage unless you look thoroughly. The new leader is growing straight as an arrow. :) The tree is now over 6 meters and has doubled in girth.

SwampDonkey

This is what the spruce looks like today.

tonich

This thread is one of my favorites!
Keep on posting!  ;D

SwampDonkey

Can't say too much at this stage, but from what I've seen in 2-4 years growth since the thinning (this will be year 3 and 5), depending on section treated, it's probably better than fertilizer alone since the trees have more room to put on volume.  I updated some measurements in the pill bottles the last couple days. The moose spent the whole winter in the woodlot, but they don't hold up this winter in any one area, not much snow. 8)

SwampDonkey

I brushed out one of my side lines this morning and I came across a small patch of taller fir and spruce that I thought I had better touch up with the 550. The beavers have been removing the balm-of-gilead out of it this spring it seems. Anyway a good deed done on that patch and carried on into neighboring plantation to finish out the tank. I need to do my north line some time, but looks to be wet weather a few days coming. Then I will also brush my trail on the way back to the car. I have about 12 acres I'm going to be spacing sometimes, but maybe not until next year.

It's on the same line as the previous thinning and about 400 feet to the east on the other side of the beaver pond. Those buggers are really flooding a lot land down stream. Darn things.  There was a nice stand of white cedar coming back on the neighbor's lot real good until they destroyed about 10 acres of it with flooding. That's what clear cutting invites, beavers. >:(

BrandonTN

Hey SwampDonkey, fall is here....good weather to be out in your woodlot. Is the commercial thinning of the fir and aspen next?
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

SwampDonkey

Another 20 years Brandon, the oldest thinnings are 5 years old now.  Some of the fir buts are over 8 inches across, but that is not the average since there were two harvest entries years before and some fir is ahead of others. I'd say though, that most are at 4 inches. I keep records on certain trees in a little bottle I tie on a wire. That's if the bear leave them bottles alone. :D :D

As to being there in the fall, it will be late fall as I'm still thinning on crown land, probably into late November if I don't get snowed out. ;D

SwampDonkey

Here are some photos of 6 year old thinning on my woodlot.

This shows tamarack I planted in 2002, beside black spruce planted in 1996.

This is a section of natural that has sizes ranging from 3"-6" in view. The dominant trees are around 32 feet. You can see the lower limbs dying now and soon will prune up.

Another area of natural here with some older fir 4" to 10", with the biggest around 50 feet tall. There is a dead yellow birch there that I think was killed by herbicide. Been dead for some years.

This area is in plantation, but between planted rows is balsam fir 3"-7" mostly, some 8"-10"  scattered in it, bigger sizes are sparse up to 16". I believe these in the photo are 7" and around 32 feet. One behind me and at the end of the stick.

Here is a largetooth aspen which only appear in small groups and not very common on the lot. It's 10" and 53 feet tall.

Here is a butternut near the main road I planted (the nut) in 2004 I think.

This balsam fir is 20" and 68 feet tall. It has reached it's potential and beyond and the ants and wood buzzards are at it now. Surprising the crown is still all green and the pitch blisters still look decent on the bark. But once they are attacked this way they are usually gone in 3 or 4 years. Some of the trouble was harvest damage to some trees. This tree may not actually be real old.

On the neighboring lot there is 10 acres where they are in the same shape and destined for worm food.

WDH

Looking good there, SD.

(I mean the woods  :)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

This year I also cleaned another 14.5 acres of plantation with a "clearing" saw. The trees planted in the first photo of this thread where part of the area. I had a few balsam poplar and white cedar that needed to be spaced and cut from those spruce. One area on a gravelly bank was invaded by a lot of white cedar, it was solid green. Some areas where kind of marginal because of drainage, but had lots of tree count for crop trees. That pretty much completed the first phase of thinning.

tonich

I may have to take a chance and visit that plantation myself!
Have to start planning the visit.  ;)

SwampDonkey

As a matter of recreation, I have taken by pole pruners into the woods and cleaned up some limbs on the larger balsam fir. I am only pruning the nice (potential) log trees. And also just the 8" or bigger and 30+ feet tall with limbs beginning to die. No need to waste effort on trash trees, I'm not looking to create a park. I am careful to undercut the limbs and not have the limb rip bark off as it's cut. I have been pruning up 8 to 10 feet depending on height of the trees. It's still quite warm here by noon, so I am just playing at it until noon. When it gets colder it's more enjoyable and won't have wet clothes from sweat.  ;D

Draco

"This balsam fir is 20" and 68 feet tall."

I understand how you get the 20".  I have always wondered how folks get the other number.  The only way that I could get that close would be by using a range finder and the Pythagorean theorem.  What's the easy way?

SwampDonkey

tan 45 degrees = 1, similar triangles, horizontal distance, add height from ground to eye. Flat land. ;D  8)

Sprucegum

Hi Draco - do a search on "Biltmore stick" and "clinometer" and you will learn all kinds of neat stuff  ;)  8)  8)

Al_Smith

You can use a framing square and a level to figure heigth also .It's just basic trig .

I find the project interesting and commendable .

This area of Ohio and in fact the entire state was once dense eastern hard woods from Lake Erie to the Ohio
river .All you need is a hole in the woods where sunlight can reach the ground and shortly after the removal of a big tree there will be new growth of saplings .It really amazing how fast they reseed themselves .

My father now deceased planted a bunch of firs in 1980 from seedlings .They are now over 60 feet tall and right at 24" at the base .

Thank You Sponsors!