iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Cherry Trees

Started by woodsteach, April 30, 2006, 08:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsteach

I would like to start growing some Cherry trees, for wood not the fruits.  I talked to my state forester and he had no Idea how to get started.  He said to start walnuts and oaks by picking up the seeds(nuts) and broadcasting them over disked ground.  I'd like to inclued cherrys with this. 

Do you think that if I find some cherrys close that the birds didn't get to that just harvesting the seeds and braodcasting them would work?

I'm 35 and realize that I might not get much wood from these trees but my daughters should get some benefit, if I get started this year.

Thanks

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

SwampDonkey

Pick some when the fruit is ripe, remove the flesh, allow to dry and store them in the fridge until fall, then outplant them in your seed bed. Don't collect them and leave them in the heat, or they'll probably die/mold (seed embyro). Birds are pretty good seed planters and they get ejected with a little packet of fertilizer. I've fed young cedar waxwings some pin cherries and they passed right through as fast as they could eat'm. :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodsteach

Thanks SD, I'll give that a try this year if I get to the cherries before the birds. 

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Timburr

Rather than broadcast them over disked ground, they would stand a better chance in a nursery seedbed, as SwampDonkey suggests.  You have better control over them and they would be at less mercy from the hungry mouths of rodents, etc.

Our cherry has an 18 month dormancy period, unless bird voided. Then it will germinate the following spring. I don't know if your cherry is similar.

You should have got them started last year :D ;D :D

Tim

Sense is not common

DanG

From the look of the fencerows around here, you could just build a temporary fence where you want a row of cherry trees, then take it down when the season is over. ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

All the old abandoned orchards, pastures and line fences here have black cherry. But, our cherry is mostly garbage except short sections.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodsteach

Thanks for all the replies.  DanG I like the idea of a fence line 8), would that be the best way to get them to grow straight? 

What would the best spacing be to get good sawlogs?

Woodsteach

SwampDonkey

If a fellow had a small young planting of sugar maples or oaks all spaced good, they'de do well in it I would think. Keep the crowns of the other hardwood from touching the cherry as it grows, they're not as tolerant to shade. Growing them out in the open will get you a good bunch of apple tree/shade trees. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!