iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hazel Nuts

Started by bugmeist, June 05, 2006, 10:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugmeist

I've got lots of Hazel brush around the edges of our cleared land.  Some years, like this year, they are heavy with nuts. 

Questions:

1. What is the easiest way to harvest and process (dry) them for consumption?

2. Do the worms, which seem to be in every nut,  pose any problems or do they just represent more protein once the nuts are dried?
100 acres, Lucas 618, Universal Tractor w/loader, chainsaws, cant hooks and not enough time to play!
Fear is temporary...regret is forever.   www.bugshirt.com

CHARLIE

Bugmeist, I don't know a thing about hazelnuts but your post made me somewhat inquizative. If you do a search on Google, there is a lot of information.  Here are some links that while not specific to your area, still have a lot of good information.  I figure if you read stuff about hazelnuts, no matter where they are being grown, you'll learn a lot about them.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/DD7280.html

http://www.songonline.ca/nuts/hazelnuts.htm

http://www.inra.fr/Internet/Produits/HYPPZ/RAVAGEUR/6phyave.htm

http://www.actahort.org/books/686/686_54.htm

http://www.ipmcenters.org/cropprofiles/docs/orhazelnuts.html
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

thurlow

I know (a little) about hazelnuts; I know that under the right circumstances they can make your mother yell "NUTS???????????"   When I was about 6 or 7, my granddad came over to help my dad castrate some calves (I didn't find this part out 'til several years later).  They sent me off down in the pasture to play (this was a much simpler time and we were expected to entertain ourselves) and I found some ripe hazelnuts and filled my pockets full;  didn't know what they were or if they were good to eat.  When Daddy later picked me up, I showed them to him and he explained what they were.  We went in for dinner..........that's lunch to you city slickers........and I went in to the kitchen and asked my mother,  "Can you guess what kind of nuts I've got in my pockets?"  My mother knew what was being done to the calves and my granddad had a great reputation as a prankster.  She assumed my granddad had put me up to this and so the "NUTS??????????????"  My dad and granddad were in the other room hearing this and laughing 'til they cried.  I can still..........after 55 years.........hear the incredulity in my mother's voice.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

bugmeist

Charlie,

Thanks for the Links...lots of info there to mull over.

100 acres, Lucas 618, Universal Tractor w/loader, chainsaws, cant hooks and not enough time to play!
Fear is temporary...regret is forever.   www.bugshirt.com

SwampDonkey

I sometimes pick them and just cull to ones with holes. They are quite prickly to pick, those hairs are similar to raspberry hairs and stick into your digits. ;D I would shell them and roast them like peanuts on a  cookie sheet with a little oil. Doesn't take long I think.

This spring I took some pictures of their red flowers. The redness turns green in a couple weeks. I know the pollen was sure heavy from them this year. Clouds of the stuff.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

There's been tons of the beaked hazel nuts this year in my area. Shame they get cut in our thinnings. But, rejoice in the fact that they will be just as tall next year this time. The nuts sure grow fast though, but I suppose it won't be 'til mid august before they are really ripe. ;D Can't wait for frost here any more cause the last few years the killing frost hasn't bit until mid October, by then the chipmunks have them all hid and the squirrels steal from the chipmunks. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

There was alot more Hazel Nuts and bushes in places I hadn't seen before this year.
When we were kids. The nut harvest went into a Burlap Bag which got lightly pounded on the concrete to loosen the husk. Made for easier peeling. We may have even left them in the bag a few days to dry the husks.

Patty

That's a cute story Thurlow.  :)    Memories from the farm are sure interesting. I know this is way off topic, but Thurlow's story made me remember when we would dehorn the calves. I will never forget looking down into the holes left in the calf's head with shear amazement. :o :o     

Wow, where is PETA when you need them  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!