iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

yellow poplar suitability for fence

Started by srt, July 08, 2006, 10:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srt

I have about 6 good sized yellow poplar donor logs that will be sawed soon.  I can use them as secondary wood in cabinets and furniture for the next 10 years, but what I really need is a 4' high dog tight fence.  Here's the problem.  I've worked on old houses that were a couple hundred years old that had good yellow poplar that was exposed to the elements.  I've also used bought yellow poplar and had it rot in a years time if I didn't seal all endgrain with west systems epoxy.  We once replaced poplar spindles that were on a 100 year old house in Cape May NJ with new yellow poplar spindles only to have the new stuff rot in a years time.  That was the builder's call by the way.  The next time he sprung for the AYC we recommended for the first job.  So, for several years now I haven't used any poplar outside - period. 

But now I have these logs, and need a few hundred feet of dog tight fence for my place.  If the fence lasts 10 years, I'll be happy.  Any suggestions concerning treating the wood and/or fence construction that will help keep this stuff from rotting?  Or, as I might suspect, is this a crap shoot at best?  The logs are bueatiful about 34" dbh on the butt log.  

pigman

In this area, KY, most yellow poplar fence planks are preasure treated if they are to last very long.  I have heard of a few people that use poplar and keep it painted to make it last several years.
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

woodbeard

Yellow poplar has changed a lot over the past 100 years, at least from what I have been able to figure.
I too, have seen a lot of it in 100+ year old structures that weathered very well. But if you dig into this wood a little, you will notice that the color is a deep, rich, olive green, and when exposed to sunlight, it turns a dark russet color. Most poplar we see today is literally pale in comparison.
I've talked with a few old timers about it, and they make a distinction between poplar, and "yella" poplar, the latter being the older one. The newer stuff as they say "ain't no count" in terms of durability and insect resistance. I'm guessing it has mostly to do with changes in the soil over the years.
I had the pleasure of buying and sawing a few nice big logs from one of these yella poplars a while back. It was noticably different from the other poplar in the yard. The heartwood was dark green, with only about an inch or so sapwood. Very pretty stuff.

Skip

I saw and sell alot of poplar 1x6 fence boards around here, most is 8 ft long, some paint it some dont. Also use it for barn stalls.

Skip

The main thing i forgot to mention is to keep it out of contact with the ground or it WILL rot fast.

Thank You Sponsors!