iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut chips

Started by Homer, August 09, 2006, 05:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

I've put walnut planer chips around some soft maple and white birch trees as mulch. Wife(Gigi) is concerned about insects and I about walnut toxic to trees? Does look nice and could be a good use? Any information please. Homer

Sunfield Hardwood

Hi Homer, a few years ago I had some very nice mountain ash trees in my back yard, they were about 4" in dia. and were just getting big enough to have the red berries on them in the fall .  :) then I mulched them with some sawdust from sawmill that only had a very small percentage of walnut in it , within a couple of weeks they all started dying . I removed the sawdust but it was to late, they all died :(. just my experience, Good Luck. Bill
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

DanG

Hmmm.  Juglone is a natural herbicide, but I don't know if it is strong enough to kill trees unless they are really small.  It would be a neat experiment to mulch a few expendable trees with Walnut, and some others with something else.  I'd do it, but I ain't got no Walnut.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

Bill, was your sawdust thick enough to prevent water from seeping through?

iain

Walnut is one of those trees that kill competition, shift the mulch now

iain

brdmkr

Ditto comments above.  Walnut puts out a natural herbicide to reduce competition from other plants.  I am not sure if the compounds are in the wood or leaves, but I wouldn't take the chance.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

rebocardo

I use white oak shavings to kill the weeds and pretty much everything else. When it rains and the water turns brown in puddles, you know something is afixin to die  :D

Sunfield Hardwood

I put the sawdust around the base of trees about 3' diameter and 3" deep. these were nice healthy trees and showed no sign of stress or bugs or any problems.
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

Furby

It's possible that the trees died due to lack of water.
I've seen it happen on smaller trees.
Least that's what I belive killed them.

DanG

3 inches is too thick to mulch such small trees unless you planted them shallow enough to make up for it.  Besides that, Walnut would be a poor choice for mulch.  I'm thinkin' that it's the double whammy that got them.  When you plant containerized trees, put them at the same level they were in the pot.  It's probably better to use some sort of collar so you can use a string trimmer up close, rather than mulching.  These trees grow in the wild, so try to duplicate their natural habitat.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don_Papenburg

I know that walnut and apples do not mix very well.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

amberwood

unless you happen to be eating them inside some sort of baked goods.....

Must be time to go home.
DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Thank You Sponsors!