Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Voting

Started by Ron Wenrich, October 29, 2006, 06:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Poll expires 11-13-06

The fall elections are coming up in a few weeks in the US.  Are you a voter? 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

LeeB

I didn't cast  a vote in this poll cause i didn't see a catagory i feel like fits. I try to vote when ever i can but it seems that i am usualy away from home at voting time. Can't vote this go around because i have just moved from Texas to Arkansas. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pigman

I have voted in all elections since 1966 except the ones while I was on the tropical vacation in 1968 and1969. I am sure I voted for the wrong candidates most of the time,  but I voted . ;D
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Corley5

I try to vote in all of them but do miss a school election and a primary on occasion.  Haven't missed a General Election since I was old enough to vote :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WH_Conley

I figure if you don't vote , you don't have a right to gripe.
Bill

sawguy21

I try to vote in every election. I figure if I don't, I get the government I deserve and have no right to complain.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

I'm looking forward to this election year being OVER. Our gubernatorial election this year has been one of the most negative I can remember, in fact all of the major Michigan contests have been.  I dont want to vote for either candidate do I'll vote to try to empower our president rather then leaving him unable to act the next 2 years as he may need to on things. :-\
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

limbrat

I try to vote in them all. Sadly i have only voted for two canidates, i vote against people most times.
ben

Ed_K

I put all elections, but I have missed a few town votes  :o . Jeff, I think all the gov. races in all states are bad. We watch Ma. & Conn. tv stations and they'er both digging in the mud, kinda makes you feel sick.
Ed K

Mooseherder

Here is an idea for a TV show that would make Politicians vote for the right side of the issues instead of lobbyists or special interests.
The show should be called "America Votes". In the same spirit as American Idol which receives a 50 million viewer audience. Both sides of an issue could be presented and then voted on by phone or computer.  Imagine the pressure the politicians would have on their votes cast and reported on the next show. They may break party lines and work together more.  Maybe even show up for the vote.
The first show could be on whether or not there should be a one year moratoriam on Lobbying.  I believe the response would be tremondous. Maybe NBC could come up with it as they are last in the ratings.
In the Florida Gov. race we have 2 choices.  I don't care for either one. Probly gonna vote for the grey haired guy. :D

breederman

I figure if you don't vote you can't complain,  and living in this state I need to complain. >:(
Together we got this !

PineNut

I vote in all elections and frequently do not vote for the person who wins. I frequently want to throw the bum out but can't find enough people who care enough to do that.

Jeff

Mooseherder that is a very interesting premise.

jbeat

The campaigning in Ohio has become so negative that I wish there were another choice such as "none of the above"
John B

PineNut

Have heard of a proposal for "none of the above". If "none of the above" were to win, there would be a new election with a new slate of candidates. Would sure like to see that. But around here, the incumbent would still win.

metalspinner

Along these "poll" lines, has anyone ever taken part in those poll's the television talking heads are always using?  You know - the "approval ratings " and such.  I have never been involved as well as anyone that I know.  Who are these people that are being polled? :-\
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Michigan Mike

I vote in every ellection I can. I don't think  I have missed  more than 3 or 4. If  I don't vote I can't gripe. Unfortunatly I often find myself voting against  a cantidate rather than for one. I try not to be a single issue voter but have strong feelings about self defense and sometimes end up voting against  a cantidate I would otherwise vote for.

PineNut

The polltakers don't like me. I have a very low opinion of polls and my response is NOYB. I love to see polls proved wrong.

SawDust_Studios

I've try to vote at every election, of course the election booth is only 1 mile from my house :-\   I vote, yet still wonder why I do.

I drove to frederick, md today.  I saw enough signs posted in yards to probably save a small forest.  I'm suprised the tree huggers aren't protesting.  Yet, the second someone puts a nativity scene out or a religious sign, or "name your ACLU complaint here", they gripe.

Did I mention I don't like Polls either!!!! >:( 

Or those automated phone calls that leave a message.   You wanna impress me, call me personally :D
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

beenthere

I always vote. It is something I am glad that I am able to do, and wouldn't miss it for anything. Many peoples around the world cannot vote......

I don't like polls either, and I particularly don't like the "everyone get out to vote" campaigns. If people don't want to vote, that makes my one vote that much more important. These campaigns to haul people to the polls, bribe them to vote, etc. are a sham (but one party seems to think they are a real help to them).

I also don't like when I hear that absentee ballots are distributed to the nursing homes, and the nursing aides are helping the 'elderly' fill out the ballots. Really wrong, IMO.

Locally, we now have to be registered to vote. I support that.
However, learning how to count votes seems to become more difficult every year.  ::)

Regards negative ads for candidates, I don't think they change anyones mind that is already made up. However, I do think it riles up some non-voting people enough that they go vote. I am against any attempt to control campaing financing if the money isn't "outside" money. That money gets spent by those willing to give it, and the money helps the economy as it goes for paper, people, and "jobs" for many. And I could rattle on and on....... but won't :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jon12345

With all the ads they are running now it seems like instead of choosing the best candidate, you need to vote for the lesser of 2 evils  ::)
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

beenthere

I don't believe the ads that are against my candidate selection. :)  I particularly like to hear what the candidates are intending to do when (if) elected.
I was 'specially impressed with a one party that came up with a "contract for America" once.  I'd like to see more commitment from the candidates. When saying negative things about the other, I lose some respect for them, but still know they must play the game.  Those who have tried the "only be positive" game, unfortunately often lose the election.  Maybe they need to show some 'fight' to get elected.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tcsmpsi

Well, I don't wear my britches cinched up somewhere between my buttocks and my knees, but I still feel quite content to complain about those who do, to those who do, mostly.

In America, everyone is supposed to have the right to complain, or not.  Of course, complaining is generally  a negative energy, which is a personal energy drain, accomplishing nothing.

I do not comprehend a possibility of  a lesser of two evils.  An evil is an evil, and I never knew them to be given levels of adjustment.

Most of the time, there are always candidates for an office that are not of the 'lesser of two evil' ilk.  They are generally not groomed by the corporate sponsorship, therefore not getting the money/exposure of the 'evils'.  Shoot, some of them might even wear overalls and actually be as human as to have to use toilet paper (or reasonable substitute).

One of those actual freedoms, is the freedom to vote for whomever I wish.  As likely as not, it is not for one of the two major parties' candidates.  It doesn't matter to me what party they are with, or if they have no party.  I try and do as much research (away from mainstream media/campaign hullabaloo) as can on an individual.

I vote for whomever I believe.  Doesn't matter to me what anyone votes.  Most of my personal research finds most of the folks actually voted into office are no more or less than maleable chowderheads, led around by others' whims and notions.

Seldom do those I vote for  ever get voted into office.   The ones that do, are generally local elections.  
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Ron Wenrich

My state doesn't allow me to vote in primaries.  Only Republicans and Democrats are important enough to vote in primaries.  I've been registered as an Independent for 30 years.

As for campaign financing, do yourself a favor and pick a candidate and see where the money comes from.  You'll be amazed at how much cash comes from places like your phone company, your health care company, and a bunch of other companies that take that money from consumers.  Then they get to use it agaist you.

Mooseherder

Well looks like one more week of ramped up attack ads before the elections.
The local news story of the night for Palm Beach county was about another disgraced county commissioner who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Seems he made 10 million dollars off some land deals with South Florida Water management district, Palm Beach Aggregates and another developer. He gets to turn himself in on Friday. ;)
I've met and talked with this guy a couple times. He was pretty full of himself.  BTW, he also owns an insurance business. :P

Furby

They did a segment on last night's news about how Wal-Mart, Target, GAP, and so on, make contributions to different parties or both parties. Some folks don't like the fact that the store they shop at, may support a different party then they do. ::)

sawdust

I vote early and often!
My first election I voted for the Rhino Party! They lost. :-\

I always vote when I am available to do so. I don't know that there is much point to vote federally we are so sparsely populated out here that the election is decided before we cast.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

DanG

I usually vote, but sometimes I don't really care about the races, or don't feel well enough informed to make a decision.

I have an idea for a debate format that might be interesting.  I'd like to see a moderator ask the same question to each candidate in advance, then play their recorded responses.  Neither would know what the other had said until both had been shown publicly.  I would like to be the one asking the questions. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

OneWithWood

I vote because I care.  I vote for or against the candidate, not the party. 

Here is a change I would like to see:

I think members of the House of Representatives should be drafted for two years of service.  Maybe then it would actually be a representative house that would tackle issues and not play partisan politics.  The Senate would have to wake up and do likewise if they would ever want anything to come out of committee.  After a person has served their two year term they would return to thier old job, which would be held for them, and not be allowed to be a lobbyist for at least five years.  Actually if there was no chance of hanging around DC for another term the lobbying would be greatly reduced.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Roxie

There once was a "none of the above" option....his name was Ross Perot.   ::)
Say when

crtreedude

I fled the country... no, just kidding!

I used to vote, but I haven't yet figured out how to do it here AND I have yet to see a candidate that motivates me enough to work through the issues. I can definitely do an absentee ballot here, but it does take time.

Also, I really can't vote I think until federal since I don't have a state anymore I believe.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom

PineNut

I am in full agreement with OneWithWood. Send them up for one term (maybe two but no more) and them send them home to live with the mess they create. And not outrageous retirements either. Just retirement compensation for the time they were in office.

Bill

I usually vote at all elections - I try to make a point of being home.

I too have issues with the "system" and have $.02 to add.

I agree with term limits and small retirement stipends. I'm even thinking they shouldn't get paid for serving their country more than say an enlisted man - three hots and a cot oughta be good enough for them too.

I also want some accountability at the employee level also. No more of this " I'm from the govt and I'm here to help" without some repercussions iffen they do something stupid and claim its for my own good. 

I'd like to see citizen referendums. We get so many signatures on a petition and it goes to the public at the next election. Some sig's for a local election and alot of sig's for a nat'l election. Things the professional politicians won't handle or totally muck up because of the contributions they get would be dealt with promptly by us "common" ( sense ) folk .

I hear tell the founding fathers didn't want political parties - thought it would lead to bickering that would distract us from the issues - boy did they get that right. When was the last time you remember something settled based solely on the merits and not who was in power - taking care of their "sponsors".

OK - thanks for the pulpit .  Apologies to those offended .

PineNut

And all these add on items they add to bills. Local town nearby got some money for some special park project they didn't even know about. A politician buying votes with our money.  Just another reason for term limits.

VA-Sawyer

I would like to see three rules passed into law...

1. If you hold a public position, either elected or appointed, you may not campaign for any public position, including the one you currently hold. You are being paid by the taxpayers to do a job. So, do it and don't waste our money by spending your efforts on other things. If you resign your position, you are still bound by this law until the end of your expected term. Anyone not currently excluded by this law may seek any public position as many times as they wish.
This means there will be no more imcumberts running for office! It will also cause public 'officials' to spend at least 50% of their time living in the real world.

2. Anyone holding any public office, found guilty of taking a bribe, of any kind, for any reason, there will be a mandatory 20 year hard labor prison sentenance with no allowance for good behavior. Bribes taken prior to actually obtaining the public office, are still bribes and are covered by this rule.

3. Members of the US House of Reps will be paid a salary equal to the national average income. Members of the Senate get a 5% bonus over that. If they can't afford to live on that, how do they expect the rest of us to live ?

jon12345

Politicians are all crooked, just like all forestry types are flannel wearin tobacco chewin rednecks out to destroy all of natures beauty  :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Norwiscutter

I am not as positive as the rest of you but I still vote. I remember 2 years ago I was in the gym with a friend of mine who is at the opposite end of the political spectrom as myself and we were debateing the reasons for why we were voting for our guy and as always the discussion was getting heated. So, this friend thinks that an additional opinion will add to the discussion and asks this lady that was also in the gym who she was voting for and why.  She said that she was voting for Bush because she thought he was better looking than Kerry.  Ya, she was serious too.  Didn't know anything about any issue outside of that.

Our founding fathers originally wanted to have it so that only landowners would be able to vote.  I wonder why.

Therefore I would be happy if there were a test that people had to take before they could vote.

Who was the first president?

Who is the current President?

Who is runnning against the current president?

Who bombed pearl harbor?

What city is the nations capitol?

Who did we the U.S. fight against for independence durning the revolutionary war?Etc. etc.

No multiple choice. Have to get them all correct.  If you can't answer questions like these you have no business determining the direction this country is headed
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

beenthere

Quote from: Norwiscutter on November 03, 2006, 09:28:30 AM
.............I was in the gym with a friend of mine ............we were debateing .............an additional opinion will add to the discussion and asks this lady that was also in the gym who she was voting for and why.  She said that she was voting for Bush because she thought he was better looking than Kerry.  ...................
Our founding fathers originally wanted to have it so that only landowners would be able to vote.  I wonder why.

If the polling booth was also in the gym, then discussing the candidates is forbidden, as I understand now. And if someone asked my opinion on who and why I voted for someone, I'd answer with something silly like she did, as I'd consider it none of anyone else's business (learned that early from my folks who told me that when I asked who they were voting for). 
And I agree with you, that a test to vote for the National election is one I would like to see (won't happen tho). Also would like to see that test be in English for obvious reasons.  Also would like to see college students vote absentee ballot from their 'home' residence, and not have the college town influence they have in local elections now. I won't see those things either, but just what I'd like.  :)

On news last night about the ACORN group, that was getting people registered (happened to be Missouri but they are spread out) up to 15 times for one person using various phony addresses, names, social security numbers, etc. A monumental job tracking down who was really who.  I think some of us are a bit naive.........
And I still will vote....once.
south central Wisconsin

Norwiscutter

I own the gym and consequently know the lady very well...  when I said she wasn't kidding, that is exactly what I meant. I am talking about the kind of person that doesn't have the mental capacity or concern to establish the type of candidate that they should vote for. Yet they vote anyway, perhaps for the same reason that some people go to church on sunday- to make themselves feel better.

thurlow

I voted yestirdy............last day for early voting;  had to choose the lesser of two evils in every case.

Quote from: Norwiscutter on November 03, 2006, 09:28:30 AM
Who was the first president?

Off topic, but an interesting tidbit about General Washington; he was 1st in war, 1st in peace, 1st in the hearts of his countrymen,  but he married a ...................................
widow. ;)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Mooseherder

I think the second show of "America Votes" should ask the question.
Should America spend more than it takes in?

Jeff

We only have 69 votes, We have 3500 members and we have had over 1500 people here just today, a slow day.  Huh?

Mooseherder

Good point, maybe they wouldn't vote. :D

thurlow

I tried to vote often, eh? but the DanG thing wouldn't let me, eh.

barbender

Oh yeah you betcha I make it out and vote, ya know. But ya know, I don't care for the choices on the ballot too much.
Too many irons in the fire

Mooseherder

About the time our original 13 states adopted their new constitution, in 1787,
Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of
Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some
2,000 years prior:

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a
permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up  
until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous  
gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always  
votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public  
treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose  
fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."

"The average age of the worlds greatest civilizations from the  
beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations
always progressed through the following sequence

1. From bondage to spiritual faith;
2. From spiritual faith to great courage;
3. From courage to liberty;
4. From liberty to abundance;
5. From abundance to complacency;
6. From complacency to apathy;
7. From apathy to dependence;
8. From dependence back into bondage "

Professor Joseph Olson of Hamline University School of Law, St. Paul,
Minnesota, points out some interesting facts concerning the 2000
Presidential election

Population of counties won by: Gore: 127 million; Bush: 143 million;

Square miles of land won by: Gore: 580,000; Bush: 2,427,000

States won by: Gore: 19; Bush: 29

Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Gore: 13.2;  
Bush 2.1

Professor Olson adds: "In aggregate, the map of the territory Bush  
won was mostly the land owned by the tax-paying citizens of this great country.

Gore's territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in
government-owned tenements and living off government welfare . . ."

Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the  
"complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with  
some 40 percent of the nation's population already having reached the
"governmental dependency" phase.

thurlow

Very interesting, Mooseherder;  have never seen that before, but it follows my (oft repeated) mantra that we (USA) have topped out as a society and are on the slippery back slope leading to revolution..........although I have no idea what form that revolution will take.  It won't be in my lifetime, and I hope it would be the citizens somehow reclaiming control of our government, which I think we no longer have.   When the Supreme Court cites "prevailing world opinion" as a reason for its rulings, rather than the Constitution, what chance do we have......................

Norwiscutter

Mooseherder, I got that E-mail too and after looking it up, it is in fact one of those urban legends that we all hear about. Not that i disagree or agree with the content, but that alot of the cited facts are not accurate. I don't have time now but can look it up for you latter today if noone else gets to it first.

pigman

Norwiscutter, I am shocked :o  Are you trying to tell us that everything on the Internet is not completely accurate. ;)
Bob the sceptical one

Raphael

I'm on the internet and I'm not completely accurate.  ::)
Just close enough for government work.  :D

Only major election I've missed was '96 when we broke down in Scranton PA.  Which was just as well as the slate of candidates didn't really represent where I was heading, I moved from NY to CT in early '97.

I pretty much vote for individuals, not parties.  Unfortunately I don't have a good choice for representative, we've got one of those "hotly contested" races going on and I'm so sick of the negative feces both sides have been flinging around I'm tempted to leave that line blank, but I'll probably go for the mediocre candidate.  We do have an interesting Senate race, and I still don't know how I'm voting on that one.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Norwiscutter

JimBuis

Since the Mrs. and I have moved very frequently and have been living in Japan for  about 10 of the last 15 years, it has been very difficult for us to vote in anything but the major elections.  However, that will change shortly.

I do consider voting to be my civic duty.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Bro. Noble

I've always taken pride in voting and voting for the candidate rather than a party.  We have a very close race in Mo.  that can affect our national politics.  The campaign has been so negative that I detest both candidates.   I had about decided to just stay home tomorrow.  I discussed it with my wife and we decided we shoul just go ahead and hold our noses and vote.  This time for the party :(
milking and logging and sawing and milking

pigman

Bro_Noble, I agree.  I vote we have a party when this mud slinging election is over. ;D Only two more days. 8)

Bob

Jeff

Well, I just got back from voting. Its the first time I ever had to wait in line to vote here in our township. Something sure has people stirred up enough to get out and exercise their freedom to choose

Max sawdust

Quote from: Jeff B on November 07, 2006, 10:34:16 AM
Something sure has people stirred up enough to get out and exercise their freedom to choose

Ya,
I am curious to see what the outcome is..
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

treenail

Just came in from the polls and doing the deed. Haven't missed voting any year since 1971. Was wondering though, as I was driving home, with all those campaign signs littering the New Hampshire highways, how many trees got cut into pulp to produce them? Probably could have done a lot for global warming , if there were fewer politicians looking for the pot of gold.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

Corley5

I cast my ballot at 6PM and was #337.  The election officials said they'd been busy all day and 337 was over 50% turnout and there was still two hours left 8).  I figured at least ten voters came in after me 8)  I also did something I've never done before.  I voted a "Straight Ticket" ;) ;D :)

Ron Wenrich

How can you vote a "straight" ticket?  Are you telling me that all your politicians are straight?  We usually have at least one that's crooked, and most times more.   :D

Corley5

Should have said I voted for the less crooked ??? ;) :)

OneWithWood

Well the people have spoken

It's a brand new day in America 8)

This is truly one of the things that makes this such a great country.  As a population if one road appears to be going in a less than disirable direction we can take another road and see where that leads.  In some countries that is not on option.

and the pendulum swings . . .
One With Wood

sawguy21

Sounds like a lot of you were pretty grouchy at the polls  :D We are waiting to see if there will be a shift in foreign policy although I suspect it will not be major. According to a Canadian columnist, some of the Dems are to the right of Atilla the Hun and some Reps are pretty liberal. Just wish customs would quit treating me like a furrin terrorist. >:(

Modat22

I always vote, I feel that if you don't vote you don't have the right to complain on how it turns out.

But then again, I love politics. It has everything a good thriller/drama/comedy/b-rated sci-fi movie has plus other things.
remember man that thy are dust.

bitternut

I voted early and often. Did not do any good for most of the people that I voted for. They lost. I am so PO at the repubs in my county I voted for Hillary just to get even with them. They pushed and granted a pilot for our local greedy power plant and now our local taxes are going to go through the roof. I think I might even be still mad enough at them to vote for her when she runs for president.

DanG

Quote from: Mooseherder on November 04, 2006, 12:01:12 AM

1. From bondage to spiritual faith;
2. From spiritual faith to great courage;
3. From courage to liberty;
4. From liberty to abundance;
5. From abundance to complacency;

That email may or may not be an "Urban Legend", but I know that professor didn't originate the list quoted above.  My 9th grade Civics teacher read that to us nearly 50 years ago.  I believe it to be true.  My hope is that we are smarter and better informed than those failed democracies of yore.

Yep, it's a new day.  It will be interesting to see how things play out now.  The News pundits on TV are now saying that things aren't all that bad for Bush, as he is more Centrist than most of the Republicans in Congress, so some of his domestic agenda stands a better chance of passage.  An interesting year and a half lies before us, indeed, followed by another 6 months of mudslinging. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Norwiscutter

I think you have it the backwords-6 months of nothing happening followed by 1 1/2 years of mudslinging. I really dislike the two party system our government has evolved into.  Leaves little room for any alternative opinion outside of that of the Red and the Blue. People are foolish to think that many of those we elect represent anyone other than themselves. They mostly are all rich folks who are tired of hanging around the country club and figure they will do us a favor by running for office. I can't believe that anyone expects anything to change when really all you have is a different aristocrat in office than you did a few months earlier.  People speak in such generalizations nowadays that they really have no opinion on anything anyways. "I don't like the way our country is headed" is one I hear alot. What exactly does this mean? I haven't heard one single worthwhile arguement for a candidate yet this year.  Furthermore, I really think that us common people get more worked up than any of the politicians do over this that or the other while they have lunch together or go for a ride on each others yacht. Yet I know people that think today is a great day and the world is better now and I know others who think it is the end of the world. It is nice to know that people have regressed to the point where in order to show up to vote in Arizona they need to add a lottery to the mix. Did this pass or not? Boy i bet our founding fathers would be proud to know that it takes a lottery payout to get people to show up and vote. :(  That right there is the kinda person I want determining the direction of our country, the guy who shows up looking to win the lottery.  Sorry for the rant, it all just makes my head hurt. 

sawguy21

I am a little puzzled by the American system. Somebody, it might have been bitternut,  mentioned earlier he could not vote in the primaries because he was not registered with either of the parties. Why do you need to do that, is that telling everyone who you are going to vote for in advance  ???
Our system, which follows the British one, allows any party who can field candidates and put up the deposit. The one with the most seats picks the head kahuna to run the circus (House of Commons) and make laws. He or she picks loyal followers to fill the Senate which is supposed to keep a rein on the seething masses but is virtually powerless. It is just an old boy's club.
The end result is left wing loonies, right wing loonies, and every colour in between. Heck, we even had the Rhinoceros Party. Like all who have posted here, I vote in every election yet at times have to wonder what we have accomplished. Just means another four years of scandals and mudslinging with a few bright spots. At least we do get to vote and complain. ::)

estiers

The requirements to vote in primaries differ between states.  For example, I grew up in Michigan and I could vote in either the democratic primary or the republican primary, but not both, irregardless of my registration.  I now live in Kansas, where in order to vote in the primary you have to be affiliated with a party.  Because the primary is for the people to decide who the best candidate to represent that party is, I suppose the state assumes that the people who should do that are the one pledging their allegiance to that particular party.  Clear as mud, I am sure.

Oh, yeah, I did vote yesterday for the first time here in KS.  The line was non existant and I voted on the electronic machine.  I had no problems.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Bro. Noble

Quote from: OneWithWood on November 08, 2006, 09:46:11 AM

It's a brand new day in America 8)

You are right ,Robert and I can see things going down hill already >:( >:(

You remember my old black dog that used to nip at democrats,  and pee on ultra right wing radicals?  Well after he died,  an old brown dog took up residence here.  NOw this brown dog doesn't do a DanG thing but lay around the yard and beg for food.  He's always limping up to me when I get out of the pickup,  looking pitiful and begging for food.  I always wondered how he could always hurt his paw when all he ever does is lay around and eat.  I never could find any thorns or cuts or anything wrong with it.  Now this morning just as I came in from milking,  and learning that them other guys have got the power now,  here comes that old brown dog carrying his right front paw and whining for a handout and I'm sure he had a devilish grin on his face.  I went to put some wood in the furnace before going into the garage.  The old dog hightailed it to the door where I keep the dogfood (on all four legs without a limp).  After I fuled the furnace,  I headed toward the dog.  When he saw me coming he started carring his right REAR paw and whining for something to eat.  The DanG fraud of a freeloading dog has now got the nerve to come out of the dloset :(  I been feeding a DanG Democrat dog :o :o >:(  Yep it's a new day in America and I'm figgering my old dog ain't gonna be the only change ::)

Ron Wenrich

I was the one that mentioned the primaries.  Ours is a closed system like the one discribed in Kansas. 

The worst part is the way the 2 party system has kept all others from running.  In our state, there is some sort of formula that states how many signatures of registered voters a candidate must field before their name is on the ballot.  For governor this year, it had to be 62,500.

However, that doesn't apply to the Republicans or the Democrats.  They can field a candidate with something like 2,000 signatures.  They make the rules and its been upheld by our state Supreme Court. 

This year, we had a big dump the incumbent drive in the state.  We got rid of the Senate and House majority leaders as well as the House minority leader.  25% of all incumbents were shown the door.  They also got rid of the incumbent US Senator and several House members.

Maybe these guys will help level the playing field.   

sawguy21

Bro, that is priceless, that mutt would make a career politician.  :D :D :D :D

Gary_C

I voted last evening at about 7:30 PM in our brand new town hall where I believe 6 town board members were getting fat on donuts and playing 500. One handed out ballots and watched  to make sure the machine accepted it. I was number 221. I'd bet that new town hall cost at least $100,000 so the county paid just over $452 for that fancy new building for each vote cast that far. Not counting donuts.  ;D

The sad part of these elections is they are not at all about electing people to serve and run the governments business. They are all about the parties and who has the POWER. I always feel those stickers they hand out that say "I Voted" should be ammended to say "I Voted for the Loser." That way they would always be accurate.  ;D

I agree this country needed a change in direction on some issues. Now that the Dem's have the power we can expect to go in the direction of their plan. Oh, that's right. they did not have one. They were just running on the basis of opposition to the present administration.

One thing to remember. Even if the Dem's win control of the senate, they are totally dependent on the two independents in the senate, Joe Lieberman  and one other guy. It has happened before that a senator has switched allegiances for some personal issue. I believe the last was Jeffords of Vermont who switched parties to get his Northeast Dairy Compact passed.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Max sawdust

I am happy to see that our democracy still works.  The majority of people felt change was needed so we got change.   8)

Here lies the problem.  Change to what? ???  The way it looks on the TV (First time it was turned on in a year.)  The same old Democratic players (Kennedy, Clinton and the like) are standing on stage smiling because "they" won. 

It is my opinion the majority of the American public did not "suddenly" start liking the Democratic leadership, but instead wanted their concerns to be heard by the Republican administration.

I have come to the conclusion "GRID LOCK" is the best thing.  Keep both parties equal so neither can get anything done :D :D

Ah games for the Aristocratic leadership.

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

OneWithWood

Bro, everything is down hill from your place  :D

I think you have your dog mis-identified.  He seems to be taking after so many members of the GOP that were getting fat at the trough no matter what they did.   ;)

I am sure that you will straighten him out though  :)
One With Wood

Bro. Noble

I'm afraid you are wrong,  Robert,-----that's a DanG Democrat dog :( :(

I've kinda figgered out our DanG welfare cat and put two and two together.

This DanG cat just lays around waiting for the wife to feed her.  I told my wife to quit wasting money on that cat and start taking better care of me------let the cat catch mice.  We had three deadbeat cats,  always mooching scraps and laying around in the way.  They were always pregnant or leading a bunch of little deadbeat cats around for us to take care of.  Each bunch was colored different and there never was a daddy cat in evidence >:(  Well when I made the wife stop feeding them all but this one welfare cat left.  I don't know if they went to hunting mice or moved to the neighbors to mooch,  but I was glad to see them go.  Well,  I wondered how come this one cat stayed around------well since the elections I have discovered what's going on.  I caught that DanG Democrat dog giving some of the food I gave him to that DanG welfare cat :o :o >:( >:(  Nope,  Robert,  you're wrong-----that's a DanG Democrat dog :( :(

DanG

Ya might just want to leave this one lay, OWW.  I think Bro. Noble feels rather strongly that the mutt is a Democrat, since he took my DanG name in vain 6 times to emphasize his position on the matter. :o :o

Bill

FWIW

Without knowing much about how the system works ( or doesn't ) I'd add this. A friend and I were talking about the inefficiency of it all when he reminded me that most of these politicians ( either rich or soon to be rich ) didn't particularly have any special skills when they were elected 'cepting one

- they could get more votes than the other person . . .

That said I stand by my request to give "us" the authority/power to put a question/law on the ballot. Would help alot to cut out those back room deals if we could erase them at the ballot box ( maybe even give us 6 or 12 months to veto a law before it'd go into effect so as to stop the special interest stuff on both sides ) - at least IMHO.

As to the registering with a party to vote in the primary - well mom and dad used to say you register with the other party and then vote for their worst candidate in the primary but your best candidate in the general election - kinda like having two votes  ;)   ;)   ;)

OneWithWood

Dan, I agree.  Sure would not want to be responsible for Bro Noble blowing a gasket or some such  :D

He will calm down in a couple of years or so . . .  ;D

Enjoy your pets, Perry.  :)
One With Wood

Bill Johnson

I try to vote in every election. I figure if I don't, I get the government I deserve and have no right to complain.  I'm with Sawguy, if I don't vote I can't complain.  I'll even vote at advance polls just to make sure I don't forget to vote. :D
Bill

leweee

Nobles pets reminded me of this one.

What is the differance between a dog out in the rain & a farmer out in the rain?

The dog quits whining when you let him in. ::)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Bro. Noble

Well,  I'm not going to say another DanG word about my stoopid dog since I saw him humping the neighbor's dog :-[ :-[

Faron

Noble, just be careful around that dog.  Some dark rainy night those cows are going to get out.  When you go out to restore order to the farm, that dog is way more likely to bite you than he is to bite the cows. >:(
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Bro. Noble

:D :D :D :D

Faron,  That DanG dog ain't about to get out when it's dark and rainy :D :D