iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fruit trees

Started by Dan_Shade, December 29, 2006, 10:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

any of you guys have "backyard orchards"?  I want to plant a few trees, apple, cherry, peach, etc.... 

any tips on any good mail order nurserys?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thurlow

I had a commercial peach orchard for many years, 'though I've been out of the business since '86.  The area around McMinnville, TN is well known for its (numerous) nurseries.  I think you'll find the prices much better from them than buying from one of the "name" nurseries (Henry Field, Stark Bros., etc) which put out the slick color catalogs.  I didn't look, but I'm sure Mr. Google will have some names. ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Furby

McMinnville claims to be the nursery capital of the world! ;)

Onthesauk

When it comes to fruit trees, I'm a fan of local nurseries.  It takes so long to produce fruit, you want to make sure it's a variety that will produce in your area and local nurseries tend to have a better idea what will work in your area.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Norm

I've used Millers and Starks for mail order fruit trees. Millers used to be cheaper and better but in the last couple of years their quality has been terrible. Now I find a local nursery and buy container grown instead of bare root. It is more expensive but the quality and durability is better.

One more tip, you'd be amazed at how many apples you get from a couple of trees. I planted a dozen of different varieties and supply the locals with more than they can eat. I'm kind of like the guy with two rows of zucchini. :D

farmerdoug

Dan,

How many trees are you looking at planting?

We put in a test orchard a couple of years ago and I went with Adams County Nursery.  I told that I was putting in an test orchard to see if I really wanted to plant a big one.  They will let you order 1 tree per variety but I ordered 3 trees per variety just incase a couple of them died.  The orchard just started to produce plums and peaches this year.  Not sure if I want the hassle of a bigger orchard but it is a great home orchard with extra fruit to sell.  I think I ordered 100 trees all together.  ACN is on the web.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Dan_Shade

i was thinking 2 apple trees, a peach tree, and a pear tree (if I can find a self polinator). 

I don't have room for much more than that, but might be able to clear out some space eventually.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

farmerdoug

Dan,

For that few of trees I think Starks would be a good place to start. 

Two apples, Better make sure they are different and cross pollinate unless there are other apples close by.

One Peach, You may need two of these also to cross pollinate, but there are varieties that will produce with one.

One Pear, We have one in our yard that has produced for years.  It is a Barlett I beleive.  You better check when ordering that you do not need two.

If you are limited on space try the dwarf trees.  Thay produce faster and are easier to pick.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Dan_Shade

yeah, my folks had dwarf trees, a bunch of them... funny thing, is after we kids moved out, they got rid of them!  too much hassle, I suppose!

i may take out a few trees in front of my house and put in two standard apple trees, but i'm not so sure I want the hassle of a huge fruit tree, how fast do the standards grow?

thecfarm

I would suggest the dwarf trees.My Father probaly had 40 trees of almost every kind of fruit.This was like a retirement thing.Like he needed more to do.He had a ball purning,grafting stakeing them so the fruit wouldn't break the limbs off.I don't think the spraying part he much enjoyed.But has to be done to get usable fruit.Takes a lot of time to get fruit that does not have worms in it in my neck of the woods.My Father would pour over the catalogs for hours.Some had free shipping,but their prices would be higher.Some have 100% replacement,no questions asked,some did not.They sure do look pretty in the spring when they blossom out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

limbrat

Dont forget about your state ag. dept they can probably advise in varieties that can do better in your soil type or micro climate. Ya now wither you live in the bottom or the hills. Or if you wont a fruit that will keep for a couple of weeks after picking or one that might have a better taste but little or no shelf life. :P
ben

farmerdoug

Dan, That all depends on the species you plant.  Some grow fast and others will take three times as long to get to the same size.  It will take several years for the standard trees to get to tall for a step ladder.  But if you go for the dwarf trees you can get more trees in the same area and allow you to have more variety.  Plus they are much easy to prune, spray and pick.  I would never plant a full size apple tree unless I was just going for the looks.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Don_Papenburg

I got trees from Jungs in Wis.  Planted 20 of them .  watered them every week through the summer and fall . came back in the spring and they were gone !!! the deer ate them right to the ground . When I told the lady at Jungs she said are they dead?     Well ah I think so.  then  she said  I would not have to pay for new trees .as they were garanteed to grow one whole year. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

bitternut

Plant dwarfs. As others have said they are much easier to maintain ( think of spraying a tree 6' high compared to a tree 12' high ) and they will often bear fruit the first or second season. Also you will be better off buying from a local nursery as they would more likely have stock that is proven in your area.

kwendt

Just a quick note: I'm up in northern Maine... Zone 4a. Here It is highly recommended that you plant standard fruit trees. The winter and winds kill the less hardy semi dwarf and dwarf trees. Check with your local ag office, or nearby nurseries. Even if the catalog says that semi dwarf will grow fine in zone 3! I won't plant it. Get it on seedling or Antonovka. Growers in zones 6-2... Check out Fedco's Tree catalog... Tons of info.... (No I am not affiliated with them, etc). Another note... Standard sized trees up this north grow slower and stay naturally smaller anyways... And the apples taste way way better than any grocery store variety!!!
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

WV Sawmiller

Dan,

Check the recommended zones and pollinator requirements and if they grow in your area an Orient (sometimes called Korean) pear is a great choice. They are very good for canning or eating fresh. Very large odd shaped fruit. We used to buy from Hastings but I agree for the small number you are ordering a local nursery may be a good bet. Starke is well known. I have bought a few trees from Tractor Supply Centers over last year and all died so I won't use them any more. Other products I get there are good quality and decent price but I had bad luck with their trees. Around here I have to build a small fence around any tree I plant or the deer will get it. Good luck. Happy New Year.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

repmma

Quote from: kwendt on January 01, 2015, 04:09:34 AM
Just a quick note: I'm up in northern Maine... Zone 4a. Here It is highly recommended that you plant standard fruit trees. The winter and winds kill the less hardy semi dwarf and dwarf trees. Check with your local ag office, or nearby nurseries. Even if the catalog says that semi dwarf will grow fine in zone 3! I won't plant it. Get it on seedling or Antonovka. Growers in zones 6-2... Check out Fedco's Tree catalog... Tons of info.... (No I am not affiliated with them, etc). Another note... Standard sized trees up this north grow slower and stay naturally smaller anyways... And the apples taste way way better than any grocery store variety!!!

I second Fedco and the standards for better overall survivability.  But in your area and for ease I can understand dwarfs.

Fedco has a large variety, I haven't looked over many other sources but if you want hard to find heritage varieties  (Wolf River, Black Oxford, Ribston Pippin, Northern Spy etc) they offer alot!  I for one didn't want to get macs, you can find them anywheres.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

Sawyer697

I got one Apple tree from Stark, I have it for 10 years, and never had a flower, so I went to Gurney and got some, and they all produced for years. Then Gurney prices went thu the roof, and Jung came along, Got good rooted trees, from them and they are getting ready to produce! Another company that has been doing good on prices is Berlin Seeds. They have good prices and many have gone to them here.
Nothing like having 60 quarts of apple sauce on the shelve, plus peach's and pears! They go good this weather! :new_year:
Local nursery here gets bare root trees and plants them in pots, the same as you do.
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

thecfarm

kwendt,interested in Northern climate fruit trees? St. Lawrence Nurseries,Potsdam,NY has some. Nice to see this thread again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kwendt

Pears and other fruits like kiwis or paw paws are neat too. Currently, I'm investigating adding more berries to my farm... Saskatoons (Juneberrys), elderberries, winter berries, lingonberries, honey berries and aronia (chokecherries). The cider orchard will be planted spring 2016, and more heirloom apples added this spring.

While Fedco's catalog is awesome (I save mine for the information), I've recently found some small organic producers within 50 miles of my farm. I plan to visit them in the spring and source some trees/bushes from them directly. I like to see what other local farmers, homesteaders and friends are doing--- and I learn a lot more, cause I get to ask questions, etc.

Finding local growers to you might be another way to go. Gosh, some of the best orchard site advice I got this year came from the owner of Kahtahdin Log Homes--- not even a grower! But he and his wife have a personal mini orchard out back of the house....

Hey! Any Aroostook County Mainers on here? Want to trade bushes, plants, scion wood, or exchange seeds and local farm lore over coffee? I'm game!
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

thecfarm

chokecherries!!!! ::)  All I would have to do around here is stop mowing the fields for a couple years. Or stop trimming around the rocks. Wife makes chokecherry jam to sell. We have to go on someone elses land to find them. My Father and me fought them things for years. The wild elderberry can be kinda odd. Wife makes that for jam too. They may grow in a certain spot for 2-3 years and then die out. They are more like a bush really,I feel.

kwendt

@thecfarm .... Thanks! St Lawence.... They are the outfit with the high sugar super sweet Silver Maples, right? This is the last year for them. They are closing up shop and retiring in 2015. I do plan to order from them! Regarding chokecherries.... It's the black ones that are medicinal...reds are better for wildlife. The black McKenzies make great windbreaks too... Something I need up on the ridge. Maybe I should come visit you in the spring and bring my felcos!

StimW

Do Blueberries count? I have about 10 bushes and can get up to 15 gallons in a good year!

New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Red Good

Check Grandpa's Orchard online , tons of info and they are in Michigan . Very easy to deal with and tons of info . I have over the last couple of years planted about 10 apple an some peach and pears and cherries . Very happy so far . Page wire 6 feet tall will keep the deer out . Good luck Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

kwendt

@StimW , love blueberries! On everything! I'll be right over, dragging my corn flakes and milk (5am here)... Lol

I'm hopping over to Grandpas orchard place on the web... I hadn't heard of that one..... Thanks everyone!

Thank You Sponsors!