iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best band mill

Started by Farm Hand, January 14, 2007, 10:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farm Hand

Hello everyone, I have been reading all the post on this site and think it is great. What I am asking is just opinion but would like as much information as possible. I am looking to spend no more than $6000.00 on a band mill. What is the best mill for the money? I will be using it for my personal use on the farm, barns, sheds and home. I have 22 acres of mixed hardwoods. I'm looking at the Woodmizer now. Thanks for your help.
A bad day on the farm is better than a great day at work

WH_Conley

That's kinda like asking "what is the best truck" :D

Welcome to the forum.
Bill

WNC

Hey Farm Hand, writing about your inquiry on a mill. I have a norwood lumbermate 2000. I am very satisfied with the mill. I cut lumber from my trees and do not cut commercially. Your cost is a little over $5000.00 for a high quality piece of equipment. You will have a couple of weeks assembly time. I use Woodmizer blades since they have a re-sharpen service for about $6.50 per blade. You will get some opinions on other machines since all these companies to the left are sponsors of this site. A few of them have paid ambassadors to post favorable opinions on this site. The farm next to me has a timberking that is a good machine, and I have had some custom sawing done in the past with a woodmizer. That was also a well built machine. WNC   Asheville N.C.

WH_Conley

I don't know about the "Paid ambassadors". A couple of the mill manufacturers have employees that are members and they do less bragging on their mills than the owners do.

Bill

JimBuis

Greetings Farm Hand,
Allow me to introduce myself.  I am not an employee of any sawmill company. Dang, I don't even own one myself yet unless you want to count my Husky powered chainsawmill.  I am a middle/high school Industrial Arts teacher.  I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about sawmills and have been through a fair amount of literature from three of our sponsors.

The basic answer to the "best band mill" question is it depends.  For the kind of money you are talking about, you won't get anything but a basic mill.  If you have a tractor with front end loader around, a good manual mill may be okay for you.  Given a tractor with FEL, whether you buy a Baker, Wood-Mizer, TimberKing, or Norwood, it won't make a whole lot of difference.

In my opinion, you get a heavier duty frame with heavier hardware from Baker, Wood-Mizer, or TimberKing, but you pay for that.  On the other hand, Norwood seems to be able to provide a few more options for the same money by making their mill a bit lighter weight.  Having said that, as long as the mill can support the log well enough to cut it into lumber, that is all that is necessary.

To me this stuff is sort of like buying handtools.  I'd sure like to have a full set of Snapon handtools.  However, I don't really need them when I can buy a set of Craftsman that are pretty good quality and save a whole lot of money.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a Wood-Mizer LT-40 Super Hydraulic with that 51 horsepower CAT diesel engine and every available option, etc., etc., but at this point it would be more practical for me to buy a good solid mill and learn how to make lumber before I worry about high production.

Okay, since you asked, if it was me, for the money you are talking about, I'd buy the Norwood with all the options you can afford.

IMHO,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Dana

Welcome to the Forum Farm Hand.

After years of telling how good my Woodmizer is, I am still waiting on that first check. :D

I think you are on the right track looking at a Woodmizer. If you want more options for your money, consider going used. There are alot of good used machines out there that will serve you well. If you go used and have any questions on a purchase, I'm sure you will get good advise from all of us.

Also, do a search, on buying a mill, on the the Forum search engine. The subject has come up often.  A lot of good advise already given.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

woodmills1

back in 95 I was all set to buy a manual mill in the 6 to 10 thousand range.  Was just me, a chain saw, and a dump truck, and O yes a possible source of delivered logs.  Long story short, I bit the bullit and spent 15 grand on a used woodmizer HD-40.  Can't say enough good things about the mill and the company, nearly half a million feet later.

My point, however is, If you are going to work by yourself, especially without support equipment, then hydraulic is the only way to go.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DanG

Hi Farm Hand.  Welcome!

The Woodmizer LT-15 is a  good little mill, as is the Norwood.  Timberking, and Baker also make some fine smaller mills that would fit into your budget.  There are a number of others on the market that are not sponsors here, too.  All of them will make good lumber.  You need to kick a lot of tires if you want to pick the one that is just right for you.

I don't know how soon you plan to move on this, but the Sawlex show is coming up in May.  It will be in Columbia SC, and there will be many, many sawmills there to look over, and you can watch them in action, side by side.  That's one of the better ways to shop, imho.  If you see a feature on one mill that catches your eye, you can just walk over to another brand and see how they handle that particular part.

Another good way is to contact some of the forum members that live in your area, and go look at their mills.  Most of us are happy to have visitors from the forum, and you can make some good friends this way, too. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

TexasTimbers

Welcome to the club Farm Hand. My opinion is to do whatever it takes to AVOID a manual mill. If that is simply not possible, get as much horsepower as you can afford. I have a Norwood and I am probably the only guy you will not hear raving about it. I think I have one of those 1 in a 1000 lemons. In fairness to the company I don't think you should even consider my experience because there are thousands of satisfied LM2000 owners. Mine has the Briggs 23 HP Vanguard and that engine is a wonderful thing to have!

Quote from: WNC on January 14, 2007, 11:14:15 PM.....You will have a couple of weeks assembly time. .....

Why two weeks ??? How many hours per day did you work? Did you use hand tools only? I assembled mine in about 8 hours. I used an impact wrench building the frame but even with hand tools it would have only added another 4 - 6 hours I would think.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

TexasTimbers

Jim I never heard of Norcom sawmills and so I googled it and found nothing either. Not in the market was just curious.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Vern

Farm hand
     Give Cooks a look, they have a  heavy fram and well built.
Geat support team. After looking a while they came to the front
for me. I spent a little more then what you want to spend but they
have packages in your range.Seems if anyone is doing up grades
on their rollers they up grade to Cooks rollers,so that says alot for
them.I just bought mine so far so good only time will tell.Right now
what I see is strong design and really well built.............. :)
vman

tcsmpsi

Welcome to the tank, Farm Hand.   :D

Several months ago, I came with hat in hand to the forum with the same basic question (as have many others).

The very best bandmill?  One that's working.   ;D

I was looking at the same basic expenditure as you are.  Mine is a 'non-sponsored' mill, though the decision was as much logistics as anything else as well as their agreement to build me basically just what I wanted.  I researched diligently all the sponsor mills, as well as several others.  I ain't seen a bad one in the bunch, and could easily have taken any of them to heart.

It was just my good fortune to find a manufacturer 100 mi away who just happened to fit my needs, with a rig I could back up to with the pickup, couple the hitch, plug in the lights and go saw trees into lumber up to 18.5' long for 6 grand.

If any of the other manufacturers were similarly close, I still might be trying to make a decision.   ;D

I have a 13 hp Kohler that has not been anything less than sufficient and efficient.  The little mill has already 'paid for itself' in the lumber I have stacked and used. 

There were things will all the mills that I liked, and didn't like (including the one I have).

Yep.  The very best bandmill.  One that is working.   ;)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Bibbyman

I'll take that title of "paid ambassador".    ;)

Our first Wood-Mizer paid for itself and then bought two trucks, a tractor, a Terex, two edgers and two more mills and buildings.  It's now providing the income for a household of five.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Farm Hand

Thanks everyone, This is the reply I was looking for. I know that there is no right answer but I do like hearing the pros and cons from each of you. Im the kind of person who will look, shop, research and try before I buy. I just want to make sure im getting the best product for me that my money can buy. Money for me is hard to come bye and easy to spend, lol. What saw is that will spin and cut in both directions?
Thanks

Norwiscutter

My favorite bandmill is one that is paid off. ;)
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

footer

Quote from: Farm Hand on January 15, 2007, 12:08:27 PM
What saw is that will spin and cut in both directions?
Thanks
You might be thinking of a swing blade. Lucas and Peterson at the left side of the page there make them. Peterson now has a mini swing mill that might be in your price range, but they only cut pretty small stuff.  If you are thinking of a bandsaw that will cut both ways, they are well out of your and probably almost everyone here's price range.

Weekend_Sawyer

I have never made a cent sawing and currently do not plan to... Well, everyone dreams of getting rich while running their own sawmill, don't they? I bought my mill for personal use and have no regrets! My Norwood does everything they said it would. I was sawing alone last weekend and had a great time. Often times a couple of friends will stop by and pitch in with the sawing some times they take a couple of boards or slabs home sometimes they just hang out.

Remember, you are going to need a way to haul logs, move logs, roll and nudge logs. Not to mention places to stack boards. And that means more equipment!!!

I love it!
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ronwood

Farm Hand,

Any of the mills that the sponsors on the left side of the page and others will do a good job. Things like running sharp blades and maintaining the mill will help a lot. Make sure that you don't try to push the mill past its capabilities.  Need to maintain good engine rpms to keep the blade from dipping and diving. Even on my  LT40 I can cut bad boards if the feed rate is to high or the blade is dull.

Good luck in your selection.
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Farm Hand

I have a New Holland Tc 40 with FEL so I can move about anything I need to cut. I looked at the Timber King. That looks like a well built saw at a good price. The frame is strong enough!
I am going to start narrowing it down to 3 by next week and hopefully be cutting by March.
Is motor size that big of a deal?
Thanks

leweee

Quote from: Farm Hand on January 15, 2007, 01:18:57 PM
Is motor size that big of a deal?

Yes....especially with a manual mill where you are the feed rate setter. ;D

PS the best band mill is always someone else's. :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

farmerdoug

The more HP the quicker it cuts.

Now while you are looking at mills keep in mind used mills.  Check out the Sawmill Exchange for ideas and prices.  Check with the Woodmizer dealers on used mills.  Also ask for info on people wanting to sell their mills outright.  I bought my LT40SH42 used from a guy that upgraded his mill but did not like the tradein offer from WoodMizer.  Marty Parsons is a dealer in PA that gave me the heads up on this mill.  Good luck on your choice as there is alot of good mills to choose from out there.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Weekend_Sawyer

HP Counts, buy the most engine the vendor has. My 20HP honda is good, 25 would be better but you know how that goes.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Tim L

I have a Turner bandmill that Im happy with. You can find them in your price range . Mine cost more because I went  with the 24 hp Honda and electric head lift ,trailer kit etc.. Having said that I don't think you would go wrong with any of the mills the other folks mentioned. Best of luck to you !
Do the best you can and don't look back

thecfarm

I would suggest a 20 hp motor at least.I have a 20 hp honda on my manual mill.Don't want to bog down a motor on a hot summer day.I would suggest a track to cut 20 foot logs too.Can't remember the price now,but if you're going to spend $6000 what's another $400-500 more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MartyParsons

Farm Hand,
We sell Wood-Mizer, sell many LT15 with the 15 hp Kohler engine and customers are happy with them. Check out the manufactures listed as sponsors to this site. If I can help you send me a e-mail. Wood-Mizer has great customer service, Re Sharp, Tech support, Double Hard Blades and been in business 25 years. :) We do not see many used LT15's they sell as soon as the customer wants to move up usually in the family or a neighbor wants it. Resale is also somthing you may want to consider. We just did a show last week and I had many people asking if we had any used units.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!