iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill under 10k. What would you buy?

Started by walexander, January 19, 2007, 08:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walexander

I am looking for a sawmill and an Woodmizer LT-40 just became available in my area for 8k. I looked around to see if this was a good deal and I saw that there were companies selling similar sized mills for 8k-10k new. This woodmizer is looking a bit rusty, but the hours are fairly low (1500). Do you all have any suggestions on a quality mill for under 10k?

Here is what I need:

I have about 80 acres of hardwoods available with some bigger oaks and hickories. Thus I would need a 30" or so cutting capacity.
I have a bigger front end loader to move and position logs.
I will need a trailor package.
I will be cutting timbers for timberframing application (8x8, 8x12) that sort of thing.
I wont be running the mill 5 days a week or anything.

I just need a good mill that is not too fancy, but there seems to be 50 companies out there with 1000 products. Give me your 2 cents and I'd appreciate it.

DanG

Give that Woodmizer a real good look-over, and be prepared to buy it if you don't see any major problems.  Nobody is selling a new mill that comes anywhere close to it, for that kind of money.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ChopperDave

I've seen that mill you are talking about on ebay.  I also am looking for a mill.  I've must have reviewed 20 different companies and makes of mills.  I think I will be purchasing a T.A.Schmid mill from upper state New York.  For about $7500.00 I can purchase a mill with these specifications.  36" diameter with a 20 foot lenght, I think the actual cut length is 16 feet.  With a 20HP Honda.  Upon reviewing there specifications I believe for under $10k you can purchase the mill you require.  I'm including freight in my $7500.00.  PM me if you want to discuss this further. 

http://www.taschmid.com/
2005 timberKing 1220 20hp Kohler

stumpy

At the risk of starting a war(that happens whenever you say one mill is better than another).  I would say a WM in good condition is better than many new mills.  I started with a Norwood.  It was a very good quality, well built mill and it cut straight lumber.  When I decided to do a longer term high volum of sawing, I moved up to a WM LT30. It is a much heavier built mill and even being manual, it has features that make the job much easier. Hydraulics would make it even better.

IMHO!!!!!!
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

tcsmpsi

You will get plenty of WM kudos, so for me to chime in there would be redundant.

When I was looking for particular mill, one in the 10 grand range (more than I wanted to spend) that I almost went over budget for, was one that Baker offers. 

Their 18HD is a permanent trailer model, with 30" diameter and 20.5' length capability.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Vern

Give Cooks mills a look , their no heaver built fram out there.........
get a nice setup for under 10...............
vman

Norwiscutter

what is a new lucas or peterson run? A swing mill might be worth thinking about as well.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum walexander.I looked at a few myself and dreamed about a few others.I bet I looked for 20 years before I bought one.I would not be to concerned about rust,within reason.Just like a older car,it will have some rust on it.It set outside it's whole life probaly.If you do go look at it,make sure it can saw good lumber.I myself would not have a clue where to look for any problems.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

That LT40 is a lot of mill for under 10K. I run a LT40 manual everyday and it will produce plenty of quality lumber in a day. Seeing that you have a loader you can get away without hydraulics easier. I turn most of my logs with a peavey, but if they are a real back breaker the winch turner does the same thing as the hydraulic one, only slower. The part I envy the most on the hyd. units is the two plane clamp. I don't know what the other mills you are looking at look like, but not working on the ground is a big plus.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pineywoods

I'd say that mizer is the way to go, even if it needs some work. I bought a used LT40 manual several year ago. It's worth more now than what I paid for it. Another thing to consider is upgrades. Try adding hydraulics to any of the manual saws. It's a snap on the mizer. I did my own for a material cost of just over $600, thats log turner, log holder, and 1 toe roller. Parts and support from woodmizer are quite reasonable, and most parts can be obtained locally if you are so inclined.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Rail-O-Matic

There is a guy in Alaska called Gene Pool who makes a band mill for just under $ 4000.00 US, he has made over 130 of them to date, they are very good, and they will compete with any of the branded names around, well worth a look at, if you are interesed PM me and I will send you some pictures of mine.
Logg-saw bandmill, Stihl 088, Stihl MS880, Stihl MS660, Stihl 017, 018,  Husky 385XP, Husky 395, Husky 350, Echo WES 350ES, Echo CS 27T, Jonsered 2150 Turbo, Jonsered 111S, good old saw still going after more than 20 years hard service.

walexander

His name is Gene Pool? Man thats funny. Id like to check his stuff out. I'll PM you.

DanG

:D :D :D  Sounds like he otter be running a fertility clinic, don't it? ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ChopperDave

Have you looked at this web site.  Lots of used Sawmills for sale here.

http://www.sawmill-exchange.com/
2005 timberKing 1220 20hp Kohler

MartyParsons

What year is the LT40 and what engine is on it? Any other options like Debarker or Lod Deck Package. Blade Maintenance package BMP extra blades etc. Parts are available for all Makes and models right back to the 1st mill ever built. Wood-Mizer also has a Orange book price guide and we can give you the current value price. You might want to ask the owner for his customer # and serial # to make sure it is not a hot  :o machine.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

GlennG

I`d look at a Cooks Saw mill. cooksaw.com For under 10k they offer a heavy, well built mill. I`m saving my pennies , soon I`ll be able to order  a Cook`s MP-32 ..I can`t wait. I like the WM LT-40 manual mill too but I feel the Cooks offers a great value with the MP-32

Tom

I'd build a pit saw, put it behind walls and charge $5 a head to watch me use it for 10 minutes.  :D

History exibit!! ;D

Captain

Tom wants to build a pit saw so the Baker Boys can't come tow it off on him.... :D

Captain

Tom

Not unless they climbed the frame.  If they grabbed hold of it on the ground, I'd put them to work.  :D :D

Minnesota_boy

You know, I think I would be willing to pay the $5 to watch Tom work a pit saw for 10 minutes.  :D 8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Captain

Is that where the term "this (insert your noun here) is the pits" came from??

Jeff

Captain, I bet it is. It is indeed where the mechanical term"pitman arm" comes from.

"any place of pain and turmoil"
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom_in_Mo.

we'll find a way to tow. :D Did you all know that Tom has guards that crawl at night?
we seen one at clark's fish house that had 20 rattlers and a button. :-\

DWM II

I've got a rusty old '91 model lt40 hd thats been a great machine. I think the only thing I have replaced on it are some hyd seals, for the toe boards and blade tensioner, a new chain for the blade guide arm and some bearings on the feed system. I'd recommend used W/M for the price . But in all fairness I havent run any other mills.

Oh yeah, it cuts very true lumber.
Stewardship Counts!

walexander

I passed on the LT-40. After talking to the owner and reading awhile on the forum I decided I was in over my head on buying a used one. I just don't know enough about sawmills to go kick the tires of one that is getting on 15 yrs old. I've been looking at a bunch ov new ones and every time I narrow it down I find out about another one. Here's what I've got.

Cooks - Located 250 miles away and looks like a strong mill. Don't much like Kohler engines though.

TASchmid - Nice looking mill, highly recommended, about 1000 miles away I guess. Strange how they offer an additional frame under thier standard frame. Hard to say it is worth it or not unless you were looking right at em.

Southern Bandsaw - A Yanmar diesel and 36" cut, 24' track are awesome...have to call for price...may not be too awesome.

Mister Sawmill - Good looker, good price. 24 horse honda. Anybody ever use one?

Baker 18 HD - Reputable mill company, honda engine.

Logmaster - Looks like a really strong frame. Pretty far away.

About all of these are within $1000 of eachother in some shape or form. 8k-9k is where most of these things live. Now I've got to slug through the numbers and hopefully get some reccomendations from you all. Ya'll have been a ton of help so far and this is an extremely useful forum because the peole who use it have plenty of personal experience.

Thank You Sponsors!