The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: log spacing for a porch rafter?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline surfsupinhawaii

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
log spacing for a porch rafter?
« on: April 02, 2007, 10:26:17 PM »
  I sent this message to my Engineer yesterday, but have not heard back from him. I am trying to do the corrections on my plans for my log home and came across this problem. I am wondering if maybe some of you out there know what the spacing would be for an 9.5'' d/fir log at 10' supported at 8' at the porch girder. I am a G. Contractor, but have never really worked with logs. It is a wrap around porch with hips on each corner. I was first wondering about how to attach the log itself to the side of the house. My Engineer on the plans said to put a 2 1/2'' x 6'' ledger, but Just wondered if I should maybe scribe it into the top log somehow, and on the hips where the jack rafter (9.5'' log) meets the hip, what type of connection to make there. I was thinking of maybe some sort of mortise and tenon joint.  I put the email I sent to my engineer on here also, if that helps. Thanks a lot for all the help :)

I sent this to my Engineer.
 I am dealing with the eaves that go around the house that cover the decking. The plans say the rafters are an 8'' D/Fir log with 2''x 6'' T&G  decking roof covering . Two sides of the house have a porch eave that is supported by a 10' long 8'' log. The log is supported at 8' by a  9.5'' girder with a 2' over hang past the girder. On  the other side there is an 8'' log that is 12' long supported at 10' by the same 9.5'' girder. They are all attached to the side of the house with a 2 1/2'' ledger support. My question is what the spacing would be on a log of this span and length. The snow load is 78. The plans say that they are spaced at 32'' o.c. but that seems a bit close to me.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: log spacing for a porch rafter?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 11:09:26 PM »
This might help or not.
http://www.iccsafe.org/cs/standards/is-log/3Draft_3.pdf
I have a more recent draft on the old computer, if it is of help I can email it. It is the draft of the proposed log code. it does have design values for round and sawn surface round beams that could then be used in a beam calc. This is not code but the numbers are recognized.

Myself, I'd try to mortise the top of the hip into the wall. No notching of the hip is allowed in the center third of its span. I've done a small porch by scribing the jacks to the hip and countersinking a lag thru the opposite side of the hip into the jack, that isn't much. I'd like to hear what the engineer comes up with.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline surfsupinhawaii

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: log spacing for a porch rafter?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 07:44:51 PM »
Thanks a lot Don for the suggestions and the help. I really like the idea about the jack rafters to the hip. My Engineer is a really nice guy, but does not have too many ideas for  some of the things I have had to do. I usually get an idea or come here or read books and then draw something up and show him. I will think about what you said and draw something. Thanks a lot, great idea and that's why I came here for a new Idea! :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Rafter Spacing

Started by LeeB on Timber Framing/Log construction

7 Replies
Last post November 12, 2019, 12:06:23 AM
by LeeB
xx
Full log rafter spacing.

Started by Ladysmith on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2016, 09:11:01 AM
by pabst79
xx
Length of rafter using stepped-lapped rafter seat.

Started by Preserved on Timber Framing/Log construction

15 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 06:25:24 PM
by piller
xx
Toe board spacing

Started by Rougespear on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post March 10, 2016, 06:22:30 AM
by sandsawmill14