iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Splitter return sticking...

Started by Woodsroad, May 13, 2007, 09:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsroad

I'm hydraulically undereducated. The valve on my 30t log splitter is beginning to not kick back to neutral when the cylinder completes it return trip. It starts happening once the machine is warmed up. It just takes a tap on the control lever to get it to pop back to neutral. The splitter has 20 hours on it, so this is a warrented repair, but I'd like to know what the problem is before I call the manuf.
Thanks, folks..

beenthere

On my splitter, there is a mechanical stop that kicks the lever to neutral upon return to home position.
Seems it is less wear and tear on the pump. 
Sounds like yours is running against a relief valve, and maybe needs an adjustment.

What make is the hyd valve spool? 

Sponsor Eggimann's (see left panel) can likely help with their hydraulic experience. Brandon is da man there, and a member here.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mike_van

Woodsroad, that kick out is adjustable, on the side of the valve on most of them - But I'd have to see a pic. of your valve to point it out -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Woodsroad

Great. I will look for an adjustment, and make a pic if I can't find it. A cursory look the other day revealed a relief valve, but I thought that it was just an over-pressure relief that vented externally in the event of too-high pressure. I'll look again. Hopefully today or tomorrow morning.

Woodsroad

OK, I found what I think is the relief valve. I lossened the lock nut and turned the valve out CC...

OK, so now it kicks into neutral again when the cylinder returns all the way.

Problem is now, on return, it begins popping into neutral sometimes! So, is this just a bad relief valve, or is something else going on here?

A pic of the splitter:

And, how I made this pic, since we were jawing about this on another thread...:

Woodsroad

One other detail: The ram now "creeps" forward a little after returning and going into neutral....

Thank You Sponsors!