iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where have all the kids gone?

Started by Frickman, July 07, 2007, 07:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

The forwarder is broke down right now, nothing major, but it has necessitated a number of trips to different parts stores and repair shops around my area the last few days. Beautiful days too. Temps in the low and mid 80's, sunny, and just plain gorgeous. In all those trips to and through half a dozen or so towns I didn't see one kid out playing. Not one. Every yard, playground, ball field and sidewalk were empty. I know there are kids living in these different areas, as I see the school buses get them nine months a year. What happens to them in the summer? Do they all go to the beach, the mountains, or just hide inside? When I was growing up I was always outside working or playing any time of the year. I was just wondering if maybe some of you folks have spotted them.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

thecfarm

They're not up this way either.My wife and I comment on the same thing.We do see a few,but nothing like when I was growing up.I did not want to be inside at a younger age and still don't now.Too many things inside to keep them busy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thurlow

I think they're all inside in front of the TV/latest electronic game (I don't know the names of the DanG things) munching on snacks.  Obesity is "epidemic".
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

wesdor

I think thurlow is right. 
Play Station, Wii, Internet, and the result is too often obesity.

Not all kids are that way, but too many.  Unfortunately I believe parents are the real reason.  My folks would have never let us sit inside and we sure didn't let our kids do that either. 

sawguy21

I had the pleasure of umpiring community league fastball this spring and got plumb worn out dealing with all that energy. :D Those kids, especially the younger girls, were a hoot. I'm really glad those programs are available to drag them away from the video games and the tv.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

I  never see a kid outside here either. But, the numbers of kids going to school is a lot lower than in my day. There simply are less new families and some folks wait until their thirties before having a new family. Before it was late teens and early twenties. We were always out of the house as kids and dad was always asking mom, 'where are those spoiled rotten kids', ;D  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scgargoyle

It's a combination of computer games, and the more dangerous (real or imagined) society we live in. When I was 8 or so I rode my bike all over town, and all the kids walked to school. Nobody thought anything of it. In my neighborhood now, the high school kids are driven all of a couple blocks to the bus stop, where they sit in the car until the bus arrives. Nobody would dream of letting an 8 y/o, or even a teenager ride their bike into town, at least around here. Sad.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Danny_S

The kids cant go outside because they need parents to watch them and their parents are inside on the computer looking at the Forestry Forum   :D
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

sawdust

My wife is a grade one teacher. From her rantings I gather there are two subspecies of children: the ones with interested parents who encourage them and interact with them, and vidiots.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

rebocardo

> or just hide inside?

Mostly the Mall, video game, and computer.

Part of the problem is you can not leave your kids outside alone, never mind come home after dark like I use to.

On weekends in my neighborhood one of the adult males (with kids) will watch the kids while the parents do something else. You just can't let kids play outside without an adult, it is too dangerous.

Wierdos and sex perverts will kidnap them from school bus stops in front of other kids, never mind on a semi-deserted street or front yard.

Many kids stay inside instead of walking to the playground. Kids under the age of 16 very rarely go to playgrounds by themselves anymore.

low_48

Maybe they are all looking for the honey bees?

exssnelt

I have 3 little ones and they would play on the computer all day if we let them. Most of their friends are over weight for that reason. My kids are only allowed 1 hour of video game time a day. We live in the city, but I gave up my backyard for a play-set that I built. It has 2 slides, 3 swings, 3 towers, a rock wall, monkey bars, and a sandbox (yes, I am proud of it). It's over 40 feet long and 15 feet wide. I even plumbed for a water cannon and water slides. Needless to say it gets a lot of use. In fact our yard is the neighborhood hangout, sometimes there are 15 or so kids playing on it. At least I know where they are.
If something is worth doing, its worth doing it right!

Radar67

Okay, you're new to the forum, so welcome. You should know that we like lots of pictures.  ;)

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

pigman

Now we know where all the kids are; in exssnet's back yard. ;)

Saturday I went by several houses and there were from six to ten kids playing around each of them. Of course the houses didn't have computers  or TVs or cars or electricity.  :)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

metalspinner

My wife and I are in a constant discussion about the kids playing outside unsupervised.  We live in a fairly rural area way back off the road.  She is a worry wart and always thinks the worst will happen.  I on the other hand am pretty laid back with allowing them to go out and explore things in the yard by themselves.

I think the indoor distractions are one part of the discussion.  But the world we live in has people paranoid about letting their children run around like we did.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Furby

Actually Stew, exssnelt has been a registered memeber about two weeks longer then you have. ;)

Haytrader

::)
Well, welcome to all the relatively new guys.

exssnelt,

What was that address? I was thinking about a trip to yer neck of the woods and a water park sounds fun.
:D :D
Haytrader

sawguy21

Predators have always been around but it seems we hear a lot more about it with modern news coverage. I don't have young 'uns but am close to friend's kids and am very concerned about them. Yet I don't feel it is fair to be overly protective and micro-manage their lives. How are they ever going to learn to think for themselves and manage risk? They need to be aware of the world around them and make informed decisions.

exssnelt

OK, OK, I know about photos. I was at work at the time, and did not have my pics. This photo was actually taken from the neighbor's yard (I could not get the whole thing from mine). Some things have changed since this was taken, but you get the idea.
If something is worth doing, its worth doing it right!

sawguy21

8) That will keep the kids busy.

Bibbyman

I see (or don' see) the same thing.  You can drive up and down our road a hundred times and not see a kid.  One afternoon we got behind the bus and there must have been 50 to a mile!  One place where there is a cluster of 8plexes has enough kids to fill one bus.

Alex and Brooke get a lot of outside time.  The play in their playhouse or on the sawdust pile.  Yesterday, besides playing outside,  Brooke helped Mary by stacking blocking sticks she was cutting and Alex helped me clean out from under the sawmill.

It was a nice evening and we hadn't got the mail yet so I asked Alex if she wanted to ride her bike up to the mailbox and get it. (Our mailbox is up in front of my folk's house about a half mile up our private drive.)  I didn't think she'd do it but she did and Brooke went too.  They hit the blackberry patch on the way up and back.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

TexasTimbers

Well mine are past the "kids" stage so I can't say nothing bout that, but this is a good observation Frickman. I haven't paid it much mind.

My youngest is 15, oldest 22 I think (might still be 21). They all work during the summer and the two oldest worked part time during school but we have put a kabosh on that because they both have grades so high one got a full ride at Baylor and the other is going into a dental program that does not allow the students to work.

When they were kiddo age ours were outside playing or with me working or at least pretendting to work. We didn't allow them to get addicted to the video Scrapola during the daytime.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

rebocardo

> She is a worry wart and always thinks the worst will happen.

Two dogs, one small, one large with them would take care of most worries.

> But the world we live in has people paranoid about
> letting their children run around like we did.

Not without reason. There are something like 50 registered sex offenders within 1-2 miles of my house. Many of them committed crimes ranging from fondling to out right rape of under 16 and under 12 year old kids. Many included sodomy, along with their other acts, on both girls and boys when kidnapping them.

I found one haunting my street (the Libertian bumper sticker gave his car away as not belonging to the hood, when I drove past. Not to mention, not too many people read the newspaper in their cars at 8:00 AM on my -dead end- street, so I called the cops after I saw him (I kept on driving and hide where I couldn't be seen) do the saw thing at the playground up the street.

See this one:

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/shared-gen/ap/National/Youths_Kidnapping.html

"ENID, Okla. Detectives arrested a 12-year-old girl and her 10-year-old sister for allegedly abducting their neighbor's 1-year-old son and demanding $200,000 for his return."  ...

"If you want to see your son again then you won't call police and report him missing and you will leave $200,000 on the sofa tonight and we will return your son back safe," the note read, according to police."

Ron Wenrich

I've often made the comment that I wonder why they bother to put in sidewalks anymore.  I don't see people, young or old, using them.

Sure, you don't see kids outside anymore.  Back in my day, our mother would throw us outside so we wouldn't be under foot.  Today, they use the TV or video game to do the same thing.  Parenting has really changed, just the activity type.

You used to have different activities that kids could do.  When a group of kids were together, they were playing games.  Nowadays, if you see a group of kids together, they're considered a gang.  They have to be up to no good.  Its no wonder you don't see them outside. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

metalspinner

That's interesting, Rebocardo.

Because just yesterday my wife called home with info just as you described about registered sex offenders.  Within a five mile radius, we have 8. >:( The closest baout 1/2 mile down the road.  And those are just the registered ones. :(

We do have two 50lb dogs that are out with the boys.  They alert us to anything in the yard, but when push comes to shove they will start wagging their tales rather than "take care of business."
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!