iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Commpression Relief Valve

Started by wiswannabe, April 05, 2003, 05:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiswannabe

Do any of you know about a chain saw in the lighter weight models that come with a commpression relief valve? My Dad at 84 years young is unable to start his current chain saw.
Any info will be appreciated.

Jeff

Welcome wiswannabe, I probably know the least about chainsaws here but I just bought a used Husqvarna 55 that has a compression release and it starts pretty easy.

Where will your dad be working? If hes using it to cut firewood up or as a utility saw near the house or out buildings where you would have available power, maybe you should consider an electric chainsaw. Then all he would have to do is plug it in and pull the trigger. We had a couple we used around the mill for years to cut off lumber, we used them up until they were stolen. :-/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Minnesota_boy

My dad had trouble starting my saw too.  He's been dead for a few years so I didn't get to let him try my new saw, but I bought a Husqvarna 136 for a (long) job I had and it pulls so much easier than my other saw and saws nearly as fast despite the much lower diplacement of the engine and weighs half as much.  The only caveat I have is that it starts hard in cold weather.  Below 40 seems to be the start of this problem and it gets progressively worse as the temperature goes down, until below zero F. it will not start at all.  If you live in a cold climate, this will be a factor.  I learned to carry mine to work in the cab of my truck as I needed to start it when it was much below zero and that was the only way I could get it to work.  You should take him to the dealer when you go and have him try one, especially if they have a demo unit and a log handy.  My dad would never have bought one of these as they were too small, but I think the demo would have been an eye-opener for him.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Leo

I have a Husky 350 with an 18" bar and it does have the compression valve. I use it in cool weather and dont have a problem getting it started. Of course, I use premium fuel and 2 cycle oil. I use it almost every weekend cutting firewood and the valve does help the starting process. The weight of the powerhead is a little over 10 lbs, than add the weight for the bar and chain. With the 350 model, try it with a 16" bar.

Ron Scott

The Husky 345, 350, 351, and the new 353 all have compression relief to reduce piston pressure when starting and reduces pulling force.

Several of the XP models also have it. Have your dad go to a good dealer and demo one that suits his specific needs.

~Ron

spreaderman

the 026 ''pro'' has one if you want to go the stihl route, pretty light to

Mark M

I've got a Stihl MS260 Pro (026) and at first I wondered why you would need a compression release on a small saw but I find that it really makes a big difference and I like it.

Mark

wiswannabe

Thanks for all of your information - maybe in a week or two I will pick up Dad and go shopping :)
wiswannabe

wiam

Probly be in trouble for this but here goes.  If someone is not in good enough shape to start a smaller saw(such as an MS260) without a compression release can they safely run this saw.
William

Kevin

Wiam;
You can't stand out in this crowd just for being in trouble.  :D
It would depend on what you might describe as out of shape.
Saws in the 70cc and under (generally speaking) aren't really that difficult to start without the decomp.

Bro. Noble

I use an 044 and 066 to cut logs.  There are times that I have to have my son start them (the first time) for me because of weakness in my shoulder and arthritis in my hands.  If I start getting too tired I stop and rest a while.  

I'm not quite ready for the rest home and am glad my son is patient with me.  When a guy that is used to working isn't allowed to,  it's a sad thing.  

Make sure your Dad is safe, wannabe,  but buy him whatever he needs to do the work he he likes.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Mark M

Hey Noble maybe we can rig up a kick-starter for your chain saw?  ;)

I like to rest when I work too. Since I have an inside job with no heavy lifting I am not in very good shape so I work a little, sit down a lot, think a little, admire my work, and drink Diet Pepsi.

Mark

Tom

DanG!  That's what I've been doing wrong.  No wonder I get so tired.  I've been push starting mine. :-/

Bro. Noble

Mark and Tom,

DanG it guys!  I try to give a little serious advice and see what it gets me ::)

I been kick started and push started both,  what I need is a self starter.

Had a neighbor for a little while that moved here from a big city-------bought a little saw with a selfsharpener and electric starter.  He moved back to the city before he got a chance to use it :D   I was thinking of him last night while hoeing in the garden.  He planted a garden (obviously his first) with about six 30 ft long rows of radishes.  I asked him why he planted so many radishes.  He said he liked radishes.  Probably wondered why I asked such a stupid question. ;D

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

He was "state agent" for radishes with 180 feet of them. :D  I do that with yellow crooked neck squash every time I plant them.  The seeds seem so small and I dearly love the things.  I'll plant 10 or 15 of them and there's just two of us. :-/  You have to pick those rascals every day or they get woody.  I've not yet figured out a way to preserve them.

I had a customer who pickled them in a relish and they weren't too bad but frozen or canned they just aren't the same as fresh. Matter of fact they just aren't any good.

An old pulp wooder here abouts took his cross-cut in to get it sharpened and the Homelite dealer asked him why he wasn't using a chainsaw.  "Your production will go up ten fold and you'll make a lot of money".

"Well give me one", said the pulp wooder.

Two weeks later he was back wanting his old saw back.  "This thing is killing me", he said.  "I've not cut hardly a thing".

The homelite dealer took the saw, not seeing anytning wrong with it, and pulled the cord.  

Va-roo-o--om went the saw.

"What's that noise!!!",  Yelled the pulp wooder as he backed to the door,

wiswannabe

Wiam thanks for your concern - Dad has been on the farm for more than 58 years and has cut firewood for all those, so at 84 he doesn't go to the woods to cut firewood without me.  I believe he has a name for all the red oak trees on his 160 acres. It is just hard to see him asking to have me start his saw. I agree SAFETY FIRST!! That's why Mark has the best working method, Rest alot :D and admire what you have accomplished 8).
Thanks Everybody

tony_marks

hope u are watching what dad is doing. if hes 84 and stillcuttun wood. must be doing something rite. know what u talkin about starting your dads saw. if id offerd to start my dads saw, i mite o toted a whippin out the woods that day. :) hes gone now ,but i still enjoy
 tellin how he worked me into the ground at 75.at that time i could out work bout anybody i knew. i wus glad none of them wus there, to watch him kick my fanny with a splittin maul.

Sawyerfortyish

I'm with Wiam my dads only 76 but no way would I let him use a chainsaw. I know everyone is differant and some older folks will work circles around us younger kids. But you get to an age where your not safe to do what did in your younger days. I remember when dad took grampa's car keys away he thought he was still a safe driver.But  the grass would  rub the passenger side of the car when he drove down the paved road to take me to the store to get an icecream. Wow that was a long time ago. Just watch your dad and keep him safe.

Tom

If one of my boys takes my car keys, I'll whop him on the head and take them back. :-/

Thank You Sponsors!