iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another red pine question.

Started by Dave Shepard, August 15, 2007, 08:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I have some red pine that are big enough to saw into some decent 8x8s. I would like to use them to build a small TF shed. Is this a good species for this? And, how long do I have to cut the joinery and get the shed raised? I know they won't last long with the bark on, so I intend to saw within a week of felling. Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

isawlogs

There aint no problem in using red pine for a timber frame , actualy its stronger stand white pine .
As for how long you have ... as of now you have till next spring .... the heat wave has gone by so the wood wont staine ( but do sticker it )  and the bugs wont go into barkless wood . 
  Board and batten from the outter edge ???  How big of of a TB are you planning  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dave Shepard

I am building a 12"x16" Sobon garden shed. Am I going to have trouble with the beams twisting or bowing, or will they be OK if they are stickered and stacked well? I have to see how many knots there are going to be in these timbers. My grandfather planted the trees in 1946. We cut all of the large trees off of the outside in the 90's, and now there are more that are large enough for timbers. They don't have many branches down low as they have not seen the sun in so long. There are some in the middle that are 60 years old and only six inches in diameter. Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

isawlogs

I cant see how they would not make good timber frame peices , if the log is a nice log to begin with , the beam will be nice .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

moosehunter

6x6 red pine will twist. I can attest to this.
I have been told by and old timer that 8x8 and larger will not twist.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

derhntr

I know that 4x6, 4x4, and 2x6 will all twist :( but all the 1 by's stayed true go figure

Brian
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Thank You Sponsors!