The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Faster UP for older woodmizers  (Read 9561 times)

Online pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
Faster UP for older woodmizers
« on: August 23, 2007, 07:34:22 PM »
I have an older model manual woodmizer LT40. I saw mostly 4/4 barn boards. I don't off-bear, just saw the whole cant by dropping lower on each pass, leaving the previously sawn boards on top. this requires a lot of up-down travel of the saw head. Doesn't take much off that to start wishing for UP that goes as fast as down. Here's a cheap simple fix that requires no modification to the mill.

Here's the parts---

A stretch type garage door spring, 4 ft of 3/16 steel cable, and a bracket made of 1ft piece of 2 inch pipe and 2X2 angle. 2 pulleysare bolted to the angle iron. I used what I had in the shop, clothes line pulleys would work fine.

The whole works fits in the top of therear tower like this..

One end of the cable attaches to the head by threading through a hole here..

The cable goes over the pulleys and attaches to the upper end of the garage door spring. Bottom of the spring attaches to the head hold-down loop like this

Works like a champ...cost zilch if you have a decent junk pile...

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline musikwerke

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Faster UP for older woodmizers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:28:04 PM »
Ingenious design and out of the way too.
I couldn't live without my junk pile.
John

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 08:40:42 PM »
Looks great!  Besides going up faster,  I bet it takes a lot of strain off of the up/down chain and drive system.

Just wished you'd thought to add your post to the "Usefull Sawmill Mods".  :'(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Online pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
There's an added benefit that I didn't mention. It cuts the current drain of the lift motor about in half, saving some precious amps for another project I have in the works.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 08:47:33 PM »
One thing I'd probably do is slip a piece of PVC or the like over the spring.  I'd hate to get some pink body part stuck in it as it retracted.  yikes_smiley

Say,  maybe the spring could be dropped down inside one of the frame tubes?  Ya'think?
Sawing since '94

Online pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 09:26:42 PM »
. from Bibby Say,  maybe the spring could be dropped down inside one of the frame tubes?  Ya'think?
Be easy enough to do that, I'd have to clean the old dirt dauber nests out of the tube :o

Already found one unusal side effect... at certain hights, the spring resonates with the vibrations  of the motor and it twangs like a plucked getar string ;D Bet I have the only musical mizer  ;D

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 09:45:51 PM »
Maybe that's why WM uses air springs to counter the weight of the head on the LT15?
Sawing since '94

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
Drop a safety cable down the center of the garage door spring, just so it contains the pieces can fly everywhere when (if) the spring reaches the fatigue level and fails.
A neighbor narrowly missed a face make-over when one of his springs failed, and it only took a chunk out of his ear.
Hiding it in the tube is good too.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline brdmkr

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to slow down...
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 11:07:27 PM »
I don't even have a band mill, but I still enjoy reading about how folks fix problems or make things better.  That was a great idea there pineywoods 8)  Thanks for sharing.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood-Mizer Service and sales PA, VA, MD, WV others
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 06:26:06 PM »
Like Bibby said, Wood-Mizer uses a Gas charged shock as an assist for the LT10, LT15 and the LT70D. The electric LT70 does not need the assist. The LT70 assist is in the Mast or tube like you guys are talking about.
I like the spring idea.
Marty
A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 07:46:28 PM »
I get frustrated with the slow up/down on our manual LT40 as well. I discovered that you can just reverse and slide the blade under the board and then drop down for the next cut. Sometimes you do have to hold the board so it doesn't slide off, but it works really well. If I am sawing a lot of 4/4, especially short and narrow stuff, I like to saw several boards and then tail them, as I have to carry them outside, it really saves a lot of time. When I have someone tailing for me, they better hurry up get back inside and get the next board, because I don't stop sawing except to turn the log. Unless they need help with a heavy slab.

I know I have some drag issues to work out with the gasser, as it is way slower than the electric, but when I get them addressed I am going to look into this setup. Thanks pineywoods.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 07:50:42 PM »
I've found that sawmilling is like wanting a faster car.  If I win the lottery, I'll have a nitro powered sawmill!

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline brdmkr

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to slow down...
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 08:31:04 PM »
I've found that sawmilling is like wanting a faster car.  If I win the lottery, I'll have a nitro powered sawmill!

I know what you mean, but lately I have been paying close attention to where my time bottlenecks are.  I saw by myself, and material handling (logs, slabs, lumber, sawdust) is by far my big time sink.  Sometimes I think I could triple my output if I could cut my handling time in half.

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Offline DWM II

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 09:33:24 PM »
Thanks Pineywoods, thats a mod I can definatley (sp) use.
Stewardship Counts!

Online pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Faster UP for older woodmizers -update
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 12:10:49 PM »
An improvement update. After using the spring assist, I came up with an improvement. When the head was higher than about 18 inches, the extra lift wasn't much. Added a pulley and another spring. Both springs attach to the bottom of the pulley bracket. More lift and it's consistent over the full range of head travel.

Offline Ocklawahaboy

• Learning as I go
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 02:59:55 PM »
On my particular mill, the down is faster than I would like. It seems the minimum drop I can do is about an inch.  Does this modification make the down action more controllable?

Online pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 03:38:09 PM »
On my particular mill, the down is faster than I would like. It seems the minimum drop I can do is about an inch.  Does this modification make the down action more controllable?

Nope, won't help much, BUT, Like everything else involving a sawmill, there is a learning curve. Trying to stop the head where you want it when dropping down is an iffy situation at best. There's too many variables. IE water tank and fuel tank empty or full? When was the last time the rails were lubed? What most of us do is try to stop somewhere close but a bit lower than the desired point. Then jog back upward in short bursts..The accuset /simple setworks option adds electronic speed control to the head up/down motor so it can stop exactly where needed.
However there's a little more to it. Likely, here's what's going on. The up/down drum switch has an extra set of contacts that are closed when the control handle is in the neutral position. They short across the motor, causing it to act like an electrical brake. If that contact is not functioning, what you will see is the head may coast down 2 or 3 inches after you release the handle. Normally the head should stop downward travel within 1/4 to 1/2 inch after releasing the handle.  Fix is easy enough, pull the cover off the control box and adjust or clean the contacts so they close completely with the handle in the neutral position. Only one set of contacts involved. All the others should be open

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 05:13:16 PM »
Thanks for posting your 2-spring mod, Piney!

Can't really tell, but is the second spring inside the main "garage door spring"?

With the sawhead all the way down, how far up would you stretch the spring before connecting the cable clamp?
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Online pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 06:44:33 PM »
[quote author=Chuck White link=topic=27272.msg938995#msg938995 date=1358287996

Can't really tell, but is the second spring inside the main "garage door spring"?

With the sawhead all the way down, how far up would you stretch the spring before connecting the cable clamp?
[/quote]

Nah, nothing so sophisticated, the 2 springs are side by side, just alike, matter of fact, they both came off the same garage door ;) That's where the pulley came from also.

I cheated on the hookup. Raise the head all the way UP, the pull some pressure on the springs. They will stretch some more when you lower the head. Might be advisable to string a piece of small cable through the center of the springs, leave it loose and fasten each end securely. Serves no functional purpose, but will retain the pieces if one of the springs breaks.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 07:11:20 PM »
Thanks Piney, I really appreciate your post!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
woodmizers in for it now !!!!

Started by loggah on Sawmills and Milling

22 Replies
Last post August 05, 2018, 08:46:12 PM
by Kllisk
xx
rebuilding woodmizers

Started by steveo_1 on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post January 06, 2005, 09:26:27 AM
by KILROY