iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Average Sawyer Age ?

Started by SCSawyer, August 29, 2007, 09:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stihlsawer

41 and bought my M-14 this summer. I have a lot to learn from all of you and local folks. In the process of deciding whether to build my frame from treated 2X10 doubled up reinforced with steel plating or use steel trusses or something. Also, trying to decide if I want it to be stationary or mount an axle to it. Been chainsaw milling for about 5-6 years.
Trever Jones
Stihl 076 Super, 034, MS 260 PRO, MS 192T
Dolmar 116si
GB 44" lumber mill, Mini mill, Beam machine

HPPDRoss

I'm 28 and running a 100 year old handset mill. Found out real quick if you treat it mean, it kicks back.

VT-Woodchuck

68 and it depends on the day as to how old I feel. A friend, who is a month older, is in bad shape due to alcohol and smoking so after talking with him, I feel very young. I bought an LT 15 about six years ago, after a dying buddy told me to do what I always wanted to do. Came home, called Wood Mizer and started sawing - love it! 8) 8) 8)

sawman

I am 53 and dad is 81 and he saws quite a bit more than I do, luxury of being retired I guess
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

barbender

I'm 38, I've been hobby sawing for about 8 years, I stepped up to a bigger hydraulic WM 3 years back and I'm looking forward to finishing our home so I will have more time for custom sawing. I realize every time I open up a log I have more to learn, but that's what makes it satisfying to me. It seems like there is always a problem that needs solved when you are sawing- matching the blade to the wood, making adjustments on the mill, general mechanical repairs, it seems like there is always something. In fact, I sold my old shop built mill and bought the WM because I thought I wouldn't have to tinker all the time ::) But I love it, I can work a 12 hour day at my day job, and still saw a log at night, just to wind down ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Compensation

I went ahead and voted for ya. But I don't know if I could ever call myself a sawyer. I just own a mill and make dust. There's a lot to learn with this hobby. 8)
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Thank You Sponsors!