iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a bridge

Started by pineywoods, October 22, 2007, 12:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

My son has a hunting preserve in central Mississippi. There's a spring fed creek across the property. Two culverts (one 36 inch, one 24 inch) and 5 truck loads of fill made a road across the creek. After the first summer thunderstorm it looked like this

We have plenty of trees and a woodmizer, why not build a bridge

here's the first step. There's 6 pilings on each side, 6X6 pt pine set in 7 ft deep holes and concreted in. The main supports are bolted to the pilings with 3/4 inch threaded rod

This pile of broken concrete then used to line the banks of the creek

Stringers are 6X12 pt pine 16 ft long, cut on my woodmizer

Decking is a full 2 inch pine
Yeah these gals swing a mean hammer ;D

The finished project

I sorta cheated and left the engineering to my engineer son, but I think he cheated and used Don P's calculator. We figure it's good for 30,000 pounds, heaviest thing we'll run over it is a 6000 pound mini-dozer

More to come....next is a cover, making a genuine covered bridge
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

TexasTimbers

That's cool. Makes me want to divert the creek onto my property so I can build one of those too. :)

Good job it looks great.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

submarinesailor

Looks great.  Wish mine was going to be that easy.  If I'm lucky, it will need to be about 65 feet long, 75 if I'm not, and that's with no pilings in the river - not allowed by the Corp of Engineers.

GF

That looks great, thanks for the pic's.

mike_van

Nice job Pineywoods - Did you put anything on the wood for rot?
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Qweaver

That's looking very good.  I have to do almost the same thing.  Thanks for the ideas.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

pineywoods

Quote from: mike_van on October 22, 2007, 06:07:24 PM
Nice job Pineywoods - Did you put anything on the wood for rot?

I found a place that had a pressure vessel big enough to hold all the wood. They pulled a vacuum on it for 2 days, then filled it with preservative and pressurized for 2 more days. If that's not enough, working on plans to build a shed over the whole thing.. DanG mississippi thunderstorms can dump a lot of water in a short period of time ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

thecfarm

That looks good.Real good.Looking forward to the covered pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

Ummm, glad he found the calc useful, but I've never put up the bridge formula that I can recall  ;). Roughly from memory it halves the allowable load from the static gravity load beam calcs I've posted due to the dynamic loading of a moving vehicle. Don't slam on the brakes with a load  :).

pineywoods

Quote from: Qweaver on October 22, 2007, 06:22:16 PM
That's looking very good.  I have to do almost the same thing.  Thanks for the ideas.
Quinton
Quinton, one piece of advice on the support pilings. sink them as deep in the ground as you can. I made a 4 ft extension to go on a pto powered post hole auger. Should be able to drill down 8 ft. Just do it 2 ft at a time pulling the auger out and clean it. Otherwise the auger will jamm in the hole and it ain't no fun getting it out no_no ;D

PineNut

I had an auger pull itself down in the ground. Fortunately it came out fairly easy. Turn it one way and it goes down. Turn it the other way and it comes out. A large wrench on the PTO shaft turned it in reverse and it came right out. Of course it was a number of turns but much better than digging. But still better is not letting it dig down in the first place.

woodman

with all that work put into it , why don't you put a cover on it . Up here in snow country we make coverd bridges for a place to go if we get a rain or snow storm.
        o and thay look good to. ;D ;)
Jim Cripanuk

Don P

Woodman's covered bridge idea got my wheels turning. If you were to incorporate a well dimensioned kingpost truss into the sidewalls it effectively cuts the span in half. A queenpost truss would cut the beam spans into thirds. Same as dropping piers into the riverbed.  I think its fine for the loads you're describing, just more grist for the bridgebuilding mill  :).

Radar67

Quote from: pineywoods on October 22, 2007, 08:45:08 PM
I made a 4 ft extension to go on a pto powered post hole auger. Should be able to drill down 8 ft. Just do it 2 ft at a time pulling the auger out and clean it. Otherwise the auger will jamm in the hole and it ain't no fun getting it out no_no ;D

Pineywoods, can you detail how you built the extension for the auger? Pictures maybe? Did y'all ever get the cover built for the bridge?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

pineywoods

[quote author=Radar67 link=topic=27763.msg490903#msg490903 date=122629309

Pineywoods, can you detail how you built the extension for the auger? Pictures maybe? Did y'all ever get the cover built for the bridge?
[/quote]

I actually made 8 of them and used them to drill a water well. Only needed 1 to drill the holes for the bridge piers...

a 4 ft piece of 2 inch pipe   

one end looks like this

Thats a short piece of 1 1/2 inch pipe welded in the end

and the other like this

That loop welded on the top end is used to stick a piece of rod thru to keep the whole works from falling back in the hole when you pull the pin (bolt) out.

Radar67

What grade bolt did you use for pins?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

pineywoods

WH_Conley

After looking at those pics I had to take a little bit to get my nerve back. Reminds me of low overhead auger cast. If you are gonna get foundaions that way you are gonna work for it. It will work, very well, I just don't want to come and visit :D.
Bill

Woodchuck53

Submarinesailor, just a thought on your bridge. We had a stream to cover on a freinds lease. We poured concrete bulkheads 60' apart and set 2 48" I-beams that he found at a demolishing company yard. We drugged them across and set them 7' apart. I believe the flange was 10"x 1" thick. We then ran a light beam centered in the middle because some of his older tractors have tricycle front ends. Decked it with 3" treated material and load tested with a full load of concrete. About 80,000 lbs. in our area. Dug a pond for the dirt and built both approches, 8' tall and dress-sloped as needed also 1800' of road bed. Not sure of the total cost but a swell home place behind the pond looking down towards the bridge. All in 7 days. the bottem of the beam is about 6' off the water. Take care. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

woodmills1

tested it with a load of concrete??
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Woodchuck53

Nah, had plenty of large stuff over it. No deflection to speak of so they ran the slab loads for the house over it also. No problems. I stood by and watched though.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Thank You Sponsors!