iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

whatzit 10282007

Started by johncinquo, October 28, 2007, 05:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

I found the weird blanket in one of the storage rooms of our lodge building.  It is up to me to clean everything out and either sell or get rid of it.  This thing is about 2' wide and 20' long.  It is heavy material, and sewn criss cross to hold the "marbles" inside in place.  The marbles are ceramic I think.  Anybody know what this is?  The marbles are about 1" across.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Tom

I never saw anything like that.   It doesn't look like something that I would throw out.  That's why my wife gets so frustrated with me.  I keep seeing a use for everything.  Well, a use for somebody.  I might figure that I could use those marbles for shooters or a game of chase one day if nothing else.  I've got lots of stuff like that that (double word sentence)my descendants will have to figure out what to do with it.  :D

Grawulf

John.........could be the worlds first non-electric electric blanket??? Maybe you heated it up in the woodstove oven and it kept you warm all night kindalike those soapstone bricks that they used to put down by your feet wrapped in a towel.    ???

getoverit

Those kind of things are used to hold down sheets or signs for stage performances.... something like a weight in the bottom of a curtain. They are easily rolled or folded into the shape you want, and they provide enough weight to hold the curtain from flopping in the breeze.... the breeze of air conditioning if you are inside. They can also be wrapped around the bottom of a christmas tree to hold it from tipping over.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

pasbuild

GOOD answer Kent 8) I don't know if its right or not but it's a Dang good answer.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Jeff

I do believe it is a commercial quilt baton used for making quilts in the days before fiber fill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I don't think it is a marble bag. :-\

pigman

It is a Mason initiation blanket. ;)  The candidate is wrapped in the blanket and beat with clubs until the marbles fall out. If the candidate survives, he is a member of the Masons. 8)
In other words, I have no idea what it is for. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sawguy21

So if he loses his marbles he is a member. ???
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Texas Ranger

Ain't gonna go there, nope, not gonna.  Jeff would have me in the wood shed.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

submarinesailor

Quote from: Texas Ranger on October 29, 2007, 10:52:04 AM
Ain't gonna go there, nope, not gonna.  Jeff would have me in the wood shed.

Again!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

johncinquo

Quote from: getoverit on October 28, 2007, 06:39:18 PM
Those kind of things are used to hold down sheets or signs for stage performances.... something like a weight in the bottom of a curtain. They are easily rolled or folded into the shape you want, and they provide enough weight to hold the curtain from flopping in the breeze.... the breeze of air conditioning if you are inside. They can also be wrapped around the bottom of a christmas tree to hold it from tipping over.

Quite possibley.  Our building was used as a stage for traveling shows.  Minstrels, vaudville acts, traveling movies, comedy and stage acts.  Maybe its left over from some stage materials.  If it is, its been in that closet a LONGGGGGGG time. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

johncinquo

Quote from: Jeff on October 28, 2007, 07:16:52 PM
I do believe it is a commercial quilt baton used for making quilts in the days before fiber fill.

If you didnt want kids to get out of bed, it would work great.  That piece I have probably weighs 45-50 lbs. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

johncinquo

Quote from: pigman on October 28, 2007, 08:15:06 PM
It is a Mason initiation blanket. ;)  The candidate is wrapped in the blanket and beat with clubs until the marbles fall out. If the candidate survives, he is a member of the Masons. 8)
In other words, I have no idea what it is for. ::)

No, we quit beatin em into submission years ago.   :D  Once the get past the goat, they're pretty much home free.  Hey, the new motto is "Share the Secret" nobody said we had to make it sound pretty. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Thank You Sponsors!