iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help

Started by sandy, April 18, 2003, 03:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

I have not uses a chain saw in years, but I bought a new Husvarna 55 just for farm use. I am mostly using it for cutting small trees and brush. The problem that I am having is the chain jumps off quite frequently. Do you think that the problem is chain tension? Most of the time when it jumps off is when I have cut through material. :-/

Kevin

The very first thing you want to do is check  that the chain matches the sprocket on the drive sprocket as well as the bar.
All three must be the same pitch.

sandy

I am not sure if this is the pitch but the only number that I could see on the chain was 25. The bar had several numbers 3/8 72DL ----- 20/50 050/13. I bought the saw from a Husvarna dealer do you think that the equipment was not properly matched? This dealer is not in my town but I'll get with him tomorrow. Thanks.

Kevin

Anything is possible, the 55 comes in .325 and 3/8 pitch.
25 is .025" raker height.
If you raise the chain off the bar you should see a number on the drive link of the chain.
The 20 indicates the length of the bar but a 20" bar should use 78 drivers while an 18" bar uses 72 drivers.
You would have to pop the clutch off to see the pitch on the drive  sprocket .

The chain tensioner may also be causing your problem if it isn't sinking with the hole in the bar.

ADfields

You should take the saw to a Husvarna dealer and have them look it over!!   I would bet it's just that you are setting the chain to slack and when you cut through small limbs it's pulled out of the track on top and jumps off the front.   But as I'm betting you have no chaps and other safety stuff you should not play around with this and take it to someone that can get you fixed up. ;)   I run Stihl saws and I know any Stihl dealer would help out even if it came from a different dealer and I'm sure Husvarna dealers would also, they don't want you injured just like I don't.   I just think it would be way better if someone gets you pointed down the right path the first time than to have us sitting hear guessing what the trouble could be with out ever seeing the saw.
Good luck.
Andy

Larry

Sandy,
Cutting brush and small trees is hard on both the saw and the operator.  The saw has to be at right angle to the brush to cut it.  If your swinging the saw to fast and at the wrong angle even a limb as small as your little finger can derail the chain so check out your technique.

Chaps and steel toe boots are needed even more for cutting brush than big trees.  Couple of year ago I cut my boot down to the steel in the toe.  Used a little Anchorseal to seal up the boot cut but I don't think Anchorseal would have worked if I cut my toe off. ;D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tillaway

Check and make sure everything is matched like Kevin stated.  

Keeping a chain on is kind of tough sometimes when you are cutting brush.  Believe it or not it happens all the time to our thinning crew.  At least a couple times.  What happens is that the nylon buttons on the inside of the chain cover and motor side wear.  Also the bar plates will get chewed up and need to be replaced. Also make sure the chain catcher is still servicable, its the little hook that is down near where the chips come out.  It does catch the chain but it will get cut off if you throw enough chains.  Also check for damaged drive links on the chain.

A shorter bar helps and a little more chain tension could solve all your problems too.  New nylon buttons and bar plates usually cure excessive chain throwing.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Mark M

It's been a long time since I cut brush with a chain saw but I seem to remember having better luck when I got the saw up to speed before contacting the brush. Might give it a try.

Mark

OneWithWood

Maybe a chainsaw is not the tool you need.  Cutting brush is often easier with a good size brushcutter - a weed eater with a blade attachment instead of a wire.
Whatever you use please take all the well intentioned advice and wear the proper protective gear.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sandy

Thanks to all that replied. I took the saw back to the shop where I purchased it and explained to the desk person the problem that I was having and I'll go back some time this week and pick it up. I'll keep you posted on their findings. Thanks for all the safety comments because I don't own any of the safty equip. the you mentioned but from your comments I will pick some up from the shop where purchesed. It is nice to have a place where different topics can be discussed and always get answers. I have posted questions about stumps, axes and now saws and each time I got very helpful information Thanks.

Thank You Sponsors!