iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are the pathogens attacking Canadian Hemlock

Started by Blue Sky, November 13, 2007, 06:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Sky

I live in Western Mass. and I know about Wooly Adelgid, but something else is infecting hemlock and killing them.  Is it the 'looper moth'?

Deadwood

Our biggest pest with Eastern Hemlock has been from the Porcupine. This probably is not your issue, but you can hunt Porcupine 365 days a year here, and I do not hesitate to take advantage of that Bounty at all. When I am snowshoeing I always carry a pistol with me, and look for the tell-tale signs of Hemlock tips scattered all over the snow. If you look long and hard enough, you will see a Porcupine up in the tree. They can easily kill several hemlocks in a winter and I do my part to help the Hemlocks out.

SwampDonkey

The looper is also into other softwoods and closely related to budworm.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Blue Sky

Last night, when I got home around 6 p.m., I noticed all these moths flying around.  It is 35 degrees out and these guys are flying around like it is 50 degrees out.  These are Looper Moths, right.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!