iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweet potato pie

Started by coldnorth, November 18, 2007, 04:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldnorth

Ok.
I know there are some Sourtherners on here. 
How about a recipe for sweet potatoe pie? Or is it a secret.

;)

I just dug the rest of my sweet potatoes and need something to do with them.

Thanks
If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself.

Norm

I am plenty far north too coldnorth but still make a pretty mean sweet potato pie. I bake mine until done cool, remove skin and mash up real well. Then get your favorite pumpkin pie recipe and substitute the sweet potato mash for the amount of canned pumpkin mixture.

You can also take the mashed sweet potatoes and freeze. It'll keep for 2-3 months.

I'd still like to hear someone's Grandmother's recipe from the South. :)

limbrat

If you bake the potatoes they run the danger of getting ate before they go in the pie. Gumbo aint right till you put a sweet potatoe in your bowl. www.mslucy.com
ben

TexasTimbers

I could get my moms. She got most of her recipes from my dad's mom. My mom told me how my gramma  came to Texas from New Mexico in a covered wagon before she met my grandpa. As a kid I always thought that meant my gramma was a mexican. I never asked anyone how come she didn't look like one. Anyway, that always made the food taste better to me when I ate at Gramma's house, knowing that her cooking was from like another planet on the far side of the solar system.
I mean when you are 4 or 5 and you know your gramma came to Texas in a covered wagon she might as well been from another planet.

My mind used to conjur up images of gramma single handedly whipping hordes of attacking Indians while cooking up the chili in a big pot in the midst of a blazing inferno beneath the tripod, while the wagon train was camped out in a deep dark valley with sillouhettes of cactus everywhere and a warriors firece, painted face behind every one barely visible by a shy moon.

Never mind she was like 2 years old when she came in on that wagon. :D

Anyhow, Ill try to scare up my moms/gramma's "Mexican" sweet tater pie recipe.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

sawguy21

Sweet potatoes are among my favourite foods but I have never had them in pie. Mom baked them coated with brown sugar, oh man those were good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Roxie

I'll be glad to share my Grandmother's recipe, as she taught it to me, but the directions will be more vague than you might be accustomed to cause Nanny's directions were some of this and a pinch of that. 

Cook and mash about 4 sweet potatoes (to get about 2 cups mashed).  You can cook them by putting them in the oven until soft and then peel them, or you can boil them until soft and peel them.  (I use the oven).  To the mashed sweet potatoes add about 2 cups of sugar.  I use a cup of white sugar and a cup of dark brown sugar.  Then put one stick of melted butter and a half cup of milk in the mix.  Add some pinches of cinnamon and nutmeg and mix everything well.  Put mix in prepared pie shell (I use vanilla wafers mashed with some butter and pressed into the pie plate).  Bake at 350 for somewhere around 35 to 50 minutes.  If you use the toothpick test, it should come out reasonably clean, but a touch of batter coming out will make a more moist pie. 
Say when

Frickman

I'm in the north, but I sure do know what sweet potato pie is. Good stuff!
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

TexasTimbers

Hey Norm, looks like Roxie got you set up. My mom said "Why it's the same as Pumpkin Pie just with sweet puh-tatuhs." ::)
She said the recipe she uses wasn't grammas anyway she got it out of an old Betty Crocker cookbook.

We'll have a happy thanksgiving to all and enjoy your Sweet tater pie if you get any. ;)

asy

OK, this isn't Sweet potato pie, but it's a FANTASTIC recipe for sweet potatoes, so I thought I'd share...

asy's fish cakes...

Roast about 2-3lb (1kg) of Sweet potato. (I usually just do a big tray of them when I'm doing a roast, then use them a couple of days later). They should be really soft, so roast them with foil over the tray so they don't go crispy. You can sprinkle a little hungarian paprika over them before you roast for a nicer flavour.

Once they are fully cool (as I said, you can make these a couple of days later if you wish, just refrigerate the taties in a sealed container so they don't dry out)... Take them and cut them into small (1/4 inch (.5cm)) cubes. It's fine (actually preferable) if a lot of it gets sorta mashy, so that's fine. While you're cutting, remove any blackened or really hard bits and any skin (I skin them before I cook them).

Take one LARGE brown onion, chop it quite finely and fry it until transparent. Take it off the heat and let it cool down. (I put it into a steel bowl and float it in a sink of really cold water to cool it faster). Let this cool while you do the next bit.

Now, use about 4 cans of pink salmon. Yeah, red would be better, but hey, who can afford that!? Open and drain the tins and take them out one at a time. Put the flesh only into the bowl. Remove the skin, any yucky soggy bits and the bones and discard these. While you're putting the flesh into the bowl, sorta break it into fine bits.

Now the onion should be cool enough to add to the mix. It doesn't have to be cold, just not hot enough to burn you when you mix everything together.

Add some spices: I use Sumac, sweet paprika, a little hot paprika and "Moroccan spice" (it's a proprietary blend made by a spice company, sorta middle-eastern flavour with a little heat to it). I don't like things too spicey so I don't use very much spice.

That's all the ingredients. Use your hands to mix it all together. It should look a fairly constant mash. There may be little lumps of sweet potato through it, but that's fine, so long as it's not big lumps.

Form it into rissole sized balls using roughly 1/3 to half a cup of mix per ball. Coat these in a mixture of breadcrumbs (or for a sweeter coating Corn Flake Crumbs) and sesame seeds. They don't need any egg or other binders, the sweet potato is enough.

Lastly heat up about 1/2 an inch of oil (olive or vegetable, depending on taste) and fry these in small batches, turning once. Be careful when you turn them as they can fall apart if you're not. Use two egg lifts. Be careful as some of the coating can come off and the tiny crumbs will burn in the oil, this will stick to subsequent batches. I sorta scoop out any that's come off the patties before I do the next batch.

Once they're cooked, turn them out onto absorbent paper to drain off the excess oil.

Don't forget, all the ingredients were already cooked, so you're really only cooking the outside and giving them a crisp shell.

These last just great for a week or so in an airtight container in the fridge and microwave really well.

I have them for lunch or dinner and make a salad, throw one or two of these in and break it up with my fork. Oh gosh are they good.

The BEST salad I make with them is this:

Fresh baby spinach leaves, Chopped cashew and macadamia nuts, Chopped dried apricots, chopped fresh button mushrooms (not canned champignons, they'd be yuck, I'd think). Chopped apple, and anything else you can think of that looks nice. I also throw some chopped nectarine in there if I have it. Absolutely magic with a drizzle of mustard-mayonaise.

Happy Thanksgiving guys, hope someone enjoys this recipe.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

TexasTimbers

Well you managed to make me hungry again at 10:00am asy. :)

tonich

Quote from: Roxie on November 21, 2007, 08:30:02 AM
Cook and mash about 4 sweet potatoes (to get about 2 cups mashed).  You can cook them by putting them in the oven until soft and then peel them, or you can boil them until soft and peel them.  (I use the oven).  To the mashed sweet potatoes add about 2 cups of sugar.  I use a cup of white sugar and a cup of dark brown sugar.  Then put one stick of melted butter and a half cup of milk in the mix.  Add some pinches of cinnamon and nutmeg and mix everything well.  Put mix in prepared pie shell (I use vanilla wafers mashed with some butter and pressed into the pie plate).  Bake at 350 for somewhere around 35 to 50 minutes.  If you use the toothpick test, it should come out reasonably clean, but a touch of batter coming out will make a more moist pie. 

Have to try this one day!
Thanks, Roxie!  :)

Don_Papenburg

Norm, Norm ,Norm   Off to the woodshed with you sayin bad bad words ,@#%##@ pumpkin $*%.     You can't make a good pumpkin pie with that stuff from the can .  You need the flesh of sugarpie pumpkin fresh from the garden.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Norm

You are right Don, I remember the first year we made one from a real pumpkin. The taste is soooo much better.

We had sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving Day at my MIL's place. Yep straight out of a can. Next year I'm bringing the turkey and the fixins. :D

sawguy21

I have never had canned sweet potatoes and don't think I want to. ::)

Patty

Yea, I could not bring myself to try them either.  ::) Mom means well, she just doesn't get passionate about her meals like some of us do.  :D  She is one of those who eats to live, instead of lives to eat. Poor lady.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

sawguy21

You must have figured you had died and gone to heaven when you met Norm. :D :D :D

Norm

Don't get me wrong my MIL is one of the nicest ladies you'll ever meet but like Patty says she just plain doesn't like to cook that much.

Patty's sister came over to me and asked if I had a recipe for sweet potatoes. I said yep scrub them and put them in the oven just like baked potatoes. She looked at the can of them then back at me with a perplexed look. :D

Don_Papenburg

That is funny ,   My wife likes to bake and cook . When the people at work tell her they bought such and such at the store she tells them that she didn't know that you could buy somthing like that at the store.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Weekend_Sawyer

Mom used to make sweet potato pone. she would prepare it the same way but insteat of crust she would oil the pan and shake some flour in it then pour in the pie mix. It was great.

I got mom to write down alot of her recipe's but we missed that one.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

scgargoyle

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on November 23, 2007, 10:00:31 PM
Norm, Norm ,Norm   Off to the woodshed with you sayin bad bad words ,@#%##@ pumpkin $*%.     You can't make a good pumpkin pie with that stuff from the can .  You need the flesh of sugarpie pumpkin fresh from the garden.
Amen to that, brother! We watch Food Network a lot, and various people have been saying that you can't tell the difference between canned and fresh pumpkin. I've been makin' punkin pies for about 40 years, and I always start with fresh pumpkin- and I CAN tell the difference! You can keep yer DanG ole canned stuff- same goes for sweet taters.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Thank You Sponsors!