iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

walnut for best figure

Started by srt, December 11, 2007, 05:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srt

I have a friend who is having a nice walnut taken down in their yard.  All I have to do is say where to buck it and haul it away.  It's about 30" DBH, and forks at about 10 feet off the ground.  I'm thinking cut it from the ground to about a foot past the forks.  What do you folks think? 

I'll be sawing it up on my little lt-30 manual mill.  I've loved the figure I've gotten before from walnut trees right around the crotch.

SwampDonkey

I'll let ya know in 80 years.  ;) Had no experience with crotch wood or sawing walnut, other than butternut. I say go with what ever has worked for you. Maybe someone has some tips to pass on.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

Wow!  That sounds like a beauty!   8)

If I came across a log like that, I would cut as you mentioned then hire a swing mill with the slabber and take big slabs from the middle of the log.  But I know you have your own mill... so whittle it down to your largest throat size and cut across the crotch as if were a pair of pants laying on the mill.

Can't wait to see pics!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!