iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

heh..logs falling from the sky..

Started by zopi, January 17, 2008, 06:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

Fellow I bought my BHCS (Big Honkin' Chain Saw) from hit me up..said he has an oak down he wants gone...i looked at it
and there might be some lumber in  the main trunk...rest for firewood...but he also gave me a 40' black cherry that seems sound..only been down a few months, and it is suspended off the ground. trunk is pretty straight too..looks like a few 12 footers and some short stuff... ;D

i've still got a monster pecan to deal with...

I am so lovin' this.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ebath

Hi Zopi,

I just missed getting a cherry this weekend  >:(, but I did end up with a large maple  ;D.

I have a friend who started a part-time tree service. He's covered me in logs. I need to start some serious milling, or I need to tell him to stop!

I've spent some time riding motorcycles in your area (Smithfield). Great food, beautiful roads and a couple of great stories!

I'm lovin' this too!!

Ed

Ed

DanG

Zopi, you are finding out what it's like to have a mill, and you ain't even got it yet.  It's time to get your feet on the ground and figure out what you're going to do with all that lumber, once you get it sawed up.  Do you have a shed to store it in while it dries?  Is it big enough? :D :D :D :D  Now is the time to start preparing a place to dry your wood.  Keep in mind that you are going to have varying lengths and thicknesses, and you'll need to have separate stacks for each size and species.  Also, due to the law of gravity, your seasoned stuff is always going to be on the bottom, unless you constantly re-stack your lumber, so you need to have at least 2 spaces for each size and type.  Not trying to throw water on your celebration, but reality is creeping in in the form of logs and sawmill. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

IL Bull

Quote from: DanG on January 17, 2008, 08:42:03 PM
Do you have a shed to store it in while it dries?  Is it big enough? :D :D :D :D  Now is the time to start preparing a place to dry your wood.  Keep in mind that you are going to have varying lengths and thicknesses, and you'll need to have separate stacks for each size and species.  Also, due to the law of gravity, your seasoned stuff is always going to be on the bottom, unless you constantly re-stack your lumber, so you need to have at least 2 spaces for each size and type.  Not trying to throw water on your celebration, but reality is creeping in in the form of logs and sawmill. ;)
I can see DanG has been cogicatin' again.  I know my shed filled up fast and now I don't have a place to put my tractor. >:(
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

zopi

Quote from: ebath on January 17, 2008, 07:42:15 PM
Hi Zopi,

I just missed getting a cherry this weekend  >:(, but I did end up with a large maple  ;D.

I have a friend who started a part-time tree service. He's covered me in logs. I need to start some serious milling, or I need to tell him to stop!

I've spent some time riding motorcycles in your area (Smithfield). Great food, beautiful roads and a couple of great stories!

I'm lovin' this too!!

Ed

There is alot of good riding out here..I commute 50 miles one way on an ultra every day...come the weekend I don't even want to LOOK at a bike..unless i am painting it.. ;D

Hence the mill....

Drop me a MSG when you are coming down this way...maybe we can GTG...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Quote from: DanG on January 17, 2008, 08:42:03 PM
Zopi, you are finding out what it's like to have a mill, and you ain't even got it yet.  It's time to get your feet on the ground and figure out what you're going to do with all that lumber, once you get it sawed up.  Do you have a shed to store it in while it dries?  Is it big enough? :D :D :D :D  Now is the time to start preparing a place to dry your wood.  Keep in mind that you are going to have varying lengths and thicknesses, and you'll need to have separate stacks for each size and species.  Also, due to the law of gravity, your seasoned stuff is always going to be on the bottom, unless you constantly re-stack your lumber, so you need to have at least 2 spaces for each size and type.  Not trying to throw water on your celebration, but reality is creeping in in the form of logs and sawmill. ;)

Weenie.  ;D

umm lessee...I've got an empty smokehouse, a carriage house, an old stable, and a barn, although, the barn sucks...it is coming down as soon as i find a salvage co. to bid the barnwood out..nothing spectacular, but some nice siding and decking..

and i just put up a small hoop house for my garden tools...

the first three are available to store lumber...six feet deep if necessary...

the only stuff I have to put up and get under cover is the wood for wifey's millwork...floors and trim..no problem, i got room for that. and the odd few good pieces of hardwood...

the balance will be used pretty quickly...those buildings need re siding...board and batten, ( another justification for the mill)
there are some smallish pines kicking around that will be rough post and beam for a saw shed which i have been plagi...errrr...
designing tonight...gonna wind up 36' by 24' if i can work it out that way...no space for more.

Wifage wants a shed over top of her woodsplitter...doesn't like splitting in the rain i guess..kinda narrow of her really...but that will come later, as i must cut out some little trees and get a dozer in to clear out a little woodlot for the firewood...since we heat solely with wood, we need a bit (slabs...) and it takes up quite a bit if room..I'm trying to streamline that a bit...

in fact, the woodpiles currently reside on the spot i have earmarked for my kiln...which i already have, in kit form..of course it's locked up in some fairly nice pine butt logs i scrounged a couple of months ago..

nahh, my big problem right now is log storage...i gotta get busy..

I have a stack of short clear stuff we intend to learn on.....stickers and bunks mostly..but there is The Log...which wifey picked out and hath proclaimed.."It Will Be First, Off with it's Slabs!" so if we don't screw it up too bad, it will get saved and made into something special..(my hint to make her something cool)(I'm thinking Humidor. :D)

once i get through those, I have a big stack of 2x and 1x to get through, and once i am through that, hopefully I will
feel experienced enough on the mill to tackle the three monsters that She Who Must Be Obeyed has earmarked for her schtuff...

that is the stuff that has to be inside..got room easy...If I do run out of room, i have a friend who has a large unused and drafty barn, which I am sure, she will donate storage space in exchange for stall boards..(she also has 40 acres of timber, and there is some big cherry back there. )

and once I get through with that mess, I will scrounge or buy appropriate logs to begin sawing out the timbers for my new workshop...i've got some big nice commercial woodworking tools that need homes and power....

So there is alot I need to do with unseasoned, or at least minimally seasoned rough lumber, and the stuff that must be seasoned can wait.

and busy as I am with work and other stuff it will take awhile to saw all this stuff anyway....

happy now? ;D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DanG

Tickled to death!  But I'm wonderin' why you'd let that barn go to a salvage dealer when you got a nice little resaw coming. ???  If that barn is typical of the old ones around here, there is more value in it than all them logs you got laying around.  Of course, you've seen the barn and I have not, so you're a better judge of that.

Just trying to caution you on what is ahead.  I have over 10,000 sq. ft. of storage under cover, and my lawn mower and tractors have to live outside. :D ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

zopi

Quote from: DanG on January 17, 2008, 10:49:34 PM
Tickled to death!  But I'm wonderin' why you'd let that barn go to a salvage dealer when you got a nice little resaw coming. ???  If that barn is typical of the old ones around here, there is more value in it than all them logs you got laying around.  Of course, you've seen the barn and I have not, so you're a better judge of that.

Just trying to caution you on what is ahead.  I have over 10,000 sq. ft. of storage under cover, and my lawn mower and tractors have to live outside. :D ;)

but yer not suckin' fer a 2x4, eh?

The barn has no timber in it...except for some 1x and 2x siding and decking, and not alot of it...the lower part of the barn is badly deteriorated, and it is simply beyond me to salvage it...plus i have no use for barnwood, aside from the occasional picture frame..it's even a lousy design for a barn...glad i'm not trying to milk cows in there...now if it were one of the big old dairy barns like one down the road...sucker has 10" chestnut stringers I'm told...<sigh>

anyway, if no one wants it for salvage, i will save the choice wood in it and offer the rest to the local VFD...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!