iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Pine Tree

Started by RMay, April 26, 2003, 09:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMay

You all may not know this but the largest lobloly pine tree in the U. S. recently fell over in a storm . It was on Potlatch land in Cleveland county, AR. Pictures are on the web site below . The tree was 140 ft. tall and was 60 in. D. B. H. and 60 ft. from the ground  to the first branch. http://www.afrc.uamont.edu/cookie.htm////
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Bud Man

Whats their intentions to do with it ? What age was it est. to be ?   Sure would like a cookie slice of it !
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

CHARLIE

Sad to see a tree that has stood for so long through wind and fire to finally fall down. I wonder why it finally toppled. Surely it had been through high winds before. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Loblolly has a shorter and fatter tap root than other SYP's and when growing in a very moist ground or confronted with hardpan may not develop much depth. The lateral root structure is then depended upon to hold the tree up and this structure is susceptible to root rot which destroys the footing of the tree.  Even if healthy, the lateral root system may not be enough to hold up a mature tree in a high wind if the ground has become soft from rain. Among other reasons, this is a viable one. :P

RMay

I do not no what the age of the tree is it was a e-mail that was sent out at work . There is more info on the web site on my first post .  8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Thank You Sponsors!