iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If it ain’t one thing it’s another. Now Mary wants a tie rack.

Started by Bibbyman, April 02, 2008, 09:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

We've made a couple of productivity improvements this past week to our sawmill operation.   

Mary had been wanting something better to help offbear off the mill onto the edger and stack.  So I came up with this slanted table with roller on the end.  It's been working out well.

Son Gabe and I also removed the obstacle that kept us from rolling cants and ties longer than 10' out the south end of the shed and down the ramps.   We set a new post out at the eve and X braced into the old post.  Then I cut a section out of the old post.  Now we can roll 12' cants out the end and down the ramps to the Terex.

But you know women.  You no sooner get your "honey do" list caught up,  and they just find more things.  Now she wants a rack built that we can drop the cants into and builds a bundle rather than used the Terex.  As it is now,  we only accumulate one layer on the forks before having to empty it.

Anyways,  does anyone have a tie rack design they'd like to share?   
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dave Shepard

You had me worried there for a minute Bibbyman, I don't think I could adapt to wearing a tie in the sawmill. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Fla._Deadheader

What I did, was, put two cull ties running the same direction as the rollers you use now, from the rollers, on out . Drive 2 heavy stakes at the end of each one. When you shove the ties off, they will slide on the ties, and bump up against the stakes. A second layer can be done nearly the same. May not slide as well on the other ties, but, with practice, it worked well for my 16 year old offbearer. He handled ties, slabs, sorted and stacked the lumber and off beared the edger, if we ran it the same time as the mill.

This was with the Corley Circle mill.

It won't take long to "shine-slick" up the 2 ties you use as ramps-skids.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

CLL

I was waiting for Bibby to have a suit to go  with the tie. That way he could rename the mill
Classic Lumber and raise his prices.  8)
Too much work-not enough pay.

TeenSwinger

Baker, I believe, sells a tie deck. They got the idea from Noah Rhodes if remember correctly.  It is a pretty neat set up he has.  The rack is about 16 ft long so it will hold about 20 7X9 ties. Once the deck is full you can pick up 5 ties, then run the chain till the rest of the ties hit the stop. Then set the ties that are on your forks down on top of the other one.  Back up, the stop holds the ties in place. Then you can pick up those 10 ties, run the chain, set those ties on top of the other ones, back up, pick up those 15 ties, run the chain, set the ones on the fork down,  back up pick up the stack, strap, and go.  8) 8)   

Jacob 
Peterson ATS 827  Nyle L200  Ebac 800  Bridgewood M-562

schmism

whats a bunk of ties weigh?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_1040595_1040595

set that at the end of your existing roller table.  roll them over slide them onto it make a row of 6 or whatever then lower it 8" slide the next row ontop, down 8" and so on.

place 2 stops on either side to catch the bunk at the lowest setting so you can drop the lift down a few more inches to create a space between the bottom and the lift for the terex forks.

the above is a 3K lb version and kinda pricey, but they make others that are cheaper and hold less weight.
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

WH_Conley

Bill

Thank You Sponsors!