iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood 2000 ? What's it worth

Started by IamSherwood, April 15, 2008, 11:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamSherwood

Just came across a 2001 Norwood 2000 with enough track to cut 16 ftrs. I haven't seen it yet, but apperantly it's in good working order. Doesn't have trailer package, or
any bells and whistles. Is set up with Honda 9hp, and has cut about 60,000 board feet
of white pine.

Does anyone have an idea what this might be worth, or what a new one is
selling for.

Thanks
If you're lucky enough to live on blue water, you're lucky enough by me.-Scott Kirby

roger 4400

Hi Iamsherwood.
     Price in Canada are for Norwood Lumbermate 2000 with a 13 hp Honda,(nothing smaller) $5,790 with a standard base 13ft long, extra base to go to 17 ft is $475. Good luck .                                  Roger
I,m looking myself for a mill so I do not know if they are good but I guess that they are almost the same of a wood mizer. I'm lookinf for a WM lt15 10 hp electric. Nice shooping .
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

IamSherwood

Yes, I see on the Norwood website that 13hp is the smallest engine offered now.
I guess the 9 hp was available in 2001.

Am I looking for trouble or disappointment with a 9hp?
I'll be sawing mostly pine and hemlock, and strictly as a hobby.
If you're lucky enough to live on blue water, you're lucky enough by me.-Scott Kirby

ADAMINMO

It wont be a speed demon to cut with but should satisfy you need doing it for a hobby.There are a few manufacturers that still use a 9hp engine on their small "hobby" mills.That is what we still use on the Wood buddy and I think that woodmizer and Hudson also use on their "hobby" mills. I think it will work out good for ya.
Welcome Aboard!!

ahlkey

I recently purchased a LumberMate 2000 this year with the 23 HP Briggs & Stratton engine.  A 2001 model with only 60,000 bf  should be in great shape.  The new 13 HP Honda goes for $4890 USA dollars so a used LumberMate with a 9 HP model even at 17ft should not cost you more than $3,000 in my mind.  The smaller HP will take longer to get the job done but if you are doing mostly pine and not hardwoods you will be fine.  Assuming you can pick up it up locally it will also save you freight costs as well from the factory.  The only other feature that you may want to add in the future is the Toe Board which is a big help with larger logs that have a large taper and where you also want to reposition the log lengthwise.  It is a good Sawmill for the money but keep in mind it is all manual.

sawwood

Not sure what its worth but i help run a Norwood Mark 4 the older model. It has the 20hp Honda and does a good job. Just a little slow as its all manual but we have cut a lot of lumber with it. So far we haven't had any trouble with it, even when we ran into the rail with the track loader. It pushed the mill off some of the blocks but didn't bend it and after remounting it we where back sawing. I think i have some photos in my album of the mill.

Lester
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

IamSherwood

Well, I did it.
Checked it out,tested it, and bought it.

I guess now I,m a sawyer, eh?

Thanks all for the input I've gotten here.
The rig doesn't have any bells on it, but I plan on adding that, so I will have some
questions in the future.

Right now, the mill is not at home yet cause it's too muddy to get it out of it's present
home. Hopefully in a week or two I'll be make'n dust.

So exciting!!!

beenthere

Sherwood
Great on your buy,.

How about some fillin in on your bio..?? 

And some pics in your gallery...we like pics.. :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

IamSherwood

Sorry, but no pics till I get it home.

Had the camera with, but guess what.

Dead battery-yes my daughter borrowed it.

I'll work on the bio as soon as I can figure out all the stuff.

Skip

I've had mine for 4+ years great saw best for the money. You got a deal since you didn't have to assemble it .Make sure you check out their wesbsite ( Norwoods)  for the owners forum. Bunch of guys who really know their way around the 2000's  :)

Haytrader

Well now Iam,

Now you tell us what it is worth.
Hope you got a good deal.
Haytrader

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

IamSherwood

Quote from: Haytrader on April 16, 2008, 10:25:38 PM
Well now Iam,

Now you tell us what it is worth.
Hope you got a good deal.

And the deal went as thus:

2001 Norwood 2000 ,17' cut length, used for 60mbf(2-3 months work? at hobby speed),dozen blades,
2 cant hooks,sharpener,30 minutes from home, no tax(13% on new stuff)=$3800

A buck or two this way or the other, doesn't matter, if you're doing what you really want
to do.

LeeB

Congrats on the mill. Let us know when you try to cut one of the dogs off. then you'll be a sure 'nuff sawyer. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Way to go!!  I can imagine all the exercise that you are going to get.  That mill will do wonders for your health (and your appetite :D).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ironwood

Man I wouldn't even have blinked!!! Youza. I'de buy two for that price. NICE!!!!. I really like the LM2000, one of the guys I hire has one he brings to my place. I love that thing! I have a top of the line Timber Harvester on my property and could use it for free, but would rather pay the guy with the LM2000 for what I need done (more controled less automated).

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Haytrader

Well, I'll be.  You done good
That may be the best $$ you ever spent.
Haytrader

sawmilllawyer

Way to go Iam, now pics, pics, we gotta have pics. Proofs in the pics, if ya know what I mean. Congrats and yes I am jealous too.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

TexasTimbers

Nice catch Iam! What sharpener is it? You're way ahead of the game having your own sharpener. You'll need a setter too but you can pick those up pretty cheap.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

treenail

Sounds like you've made a pretty decent deal of things. I have a LM2000 that I purchased new in 2001, with the twenty horse Honda on it. It has done everything that I have ever asked it to do. Once it is up and sawing your own logs, you will love it. Good luck.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

IamSherwood

Quote from: TexasTimbers on April 18, 2008, 10:27:53 AM
Nice catch Iam! What sharpener is it? You're way ahead of the game having your own sharpener. You'll need a setter too but you can pick those up pretty cheap.

It is a Norwood sharpener.

As I said, I don't have the goodies home yet, cause the grounds to wet to get it out
of it's present home.

I spent part of today clearing some brush to make it's new home.
As soon as half loads are off, I'll get 4 loads of type 2 delivered and spread and then
set the mill up.(and take pictures.)

And then make sawdust.

Yes, I will need a setter.
Being I,m new to this, I guess I better do a little research on that.

hashhu

You got a good deal on it. Get in touch with Norwood and get your mill registered with them. If you ever need parts for it, they have it on record. I got a 2008 LM2000 with 23 B&S, 21 ft bed., cut around 7 k's of oak & cedar.

IamSherwood

I just got the phone call, and the driveway is now dry enough that I can get my new
baby out, and home.

Soooooo exciting!!!!

If all works out well she'll be back here in my crib late tomorrow.

I just hope I don't get all flustered, and pass out as I did when my wife had
her first C-section.  :) :D.
We'll see how it goes, but at least I know that if I knock a tooth out, falling after
I faint, I have a mill, and I can whittle up a wooden replacement. :)

Dave Shepard

What are you going to saw up first? ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

IamSherwood

sticker material, lots of stickers :)

Thank You Sponsors!