iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red elm

Started by Grawulf, June 14, 2008, 09:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grawulf

It seems that red elm will stand forever in the woods after it has died. Has anyone used it for exterior applications........like decking or siding? I've got quite a bit of it - beautiful when quarter sawn. Almost looks like redwood.  Thanks!     Devan

Dodgy Loner

I've never used it, but I suspect it would make better siding than decking (that's not to say that it wouldn't make good decking).  Quartersawing is a good idea, as elm has interlocking grain which causes it to warp excessively when flatsawn.  My workbench is made from winged elm, which is harder but lacks the heartwood coloration of red elm.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

TeaW

Red elm is a soft elm also none as slippery elm.I have only cut it once so I have little experience with it.The old timers used to talk about pith Elm, they used it for the floors in horse stalls and it would last longer than other wood.
TeaW

Thank You Sponsors!