iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

The center of the storm wasn't too far from here, but we are on the dry, weak side.  We just had dribbly rain and a light breeze all day.  It's about gone now.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

chevytaHOE5674

After a balmy 48° high temp with rain the last 2 days it got down to frosting temps again last night. But its "warming" up nicely now that the sun came out and its supposed to be on its way to 55° today. So far its been cool and wet UP here with only like 10 days above 70°, and above average rainfall. Been noticing that the grasses aren't recovering as fast after being grazed, I just hope my spring pastures can hold up long enough until the hay is made and more fields become available for grazing.

Raider Bill

Quote from: DanG on June 06, 2013, 10:13:13 PM
The center of the storm wasn't too far from here, but we are on the dry, weak side.  We just had dribbly rain and a light breeze all day.  It's about gone now.

We were on the bottom, strong side. SPCA roof collapsed, lot's of trees down and inches of rain or as we prefer to tell the tourists, liquid sunshine 8). Today it will get HOT so the humidity will be through the roof keeping my complexion nice and clear ;D

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

SwampDonkey

I think it was around 68 here today, had a short rain in the morning, but sun came out by noon and was able to dry a wash outside on the rack.

I have little green maters forming on the plants, 'big beef', have about 6 maters that grew from last years maters that I never picked. Cukes are up, beats, spinach, parsnip is ready to pick and forming seed heads actually. Dill is up, onions are growing, carrots are taking off like bandits, the long deep rooted kind. I can grow nice carrots. mmmm   Roses are setting buds now, peonies are blooming. Another big crop of basswood blooms coming on, wonder where the honey bees are going to take residence in this summer. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

240b

clear and 80 in flagstaff az today, sun's getting to me.

mesquite buckeye

About 135 in the greenhouse today. Nice to come outside where it was cool and only 108. :o
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

Has been raining here since about 5 last night. Suppose to stop by noon today. The weather guys was talking about 2-3 inches of rain. It's been a steady,but light rain here. I don't see how we got 2 inches,more like an inch.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

Raining here again. Started around 6 this morning and I do mean rain. I bet today we will get 2-3 inches at this rate. Water was over the road on a major state road yesterday. Must be 6 inches deep now. Should stop tonight. Half the state is on a flood watch.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Nothing for rain here, but calling for showers over night. Was dry all day in the bush. Next couple of days will be working close to home, so no need to camp. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ancjr

Rained all day yesterday, washed out a bit of the driveway.  85F steam bath today.  Rain predicted again for tomorrow.  I guess we're on course to make up for last year.

OneWithWood

Just north of you anjr.  Only a tenth of an inch of rain in the last two days but the temps and humidity are rising steadily.  Projected 90s the next two days.  Going to make it uncomfortable siding the barn addition.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ancjr

OWW, I noticed that the other day when it was dry here, the weatherman was saying that Bedford was in a downpour and had some flooding due to a storm that stalled right over the city. 

Supposed to be 93 here tomorrow, 79 and rain Thursday.

The hills certainly make for some variety in the weather!

mesquite buckeye

104, 105, 106, 107, 111. Had to run up to Phoenix yesterday 114 when we got there at 4pm.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

A heavy mist right now.

OneWithWood

Things are  going to get interesting for many of us tonight.  A rare occurrence of weather patterns are going to produce very high straight line winds and possible significant hail from Wisconsin to south central Indiana tonight.  After the effects of the drought and tulip scale our big tulip poplars are looking quite pekid.  We may sleep in the basement tonight just in case one or more of these very tall trees lets go and crashes the house tonight.  The workshop and barn are also vulnerable, not to mention the barn addition which has been wrapped but only has siding on the north face.
Be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.  A lot of folks will be in harms way tonight.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

Wish everyone well and a safe night.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Farmerjw

Just had hail, the start of the storm of straight line winds coming in.  I am a couple hours South and East of Chicago.  About an hour and a half North of Purdue University.  Muggy terrible yesterday and today, supposed to be a little cooler behind this storm. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

clww

Higher humidity here for the past couple days along with rising temps. Yesterday was 90, today 92, and tomorrow expecting 97. Too Dang HOT! >:( Plus big storms tomorrow, too. ::)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

I wish you well come morning,
We just had a light mist all day. Finally stopped around 4 or 5 tonight.

ancjr

Tropical heat here today.

My tree seedlings had blown off my table and into the lawn while I was out.

I have a 18" dbh tulip poplar with severe rot right at the base between the house & barn... it's leaning away from both, but enough wind could take it in any direction.   :-\

Here's hoping it doesn't take out the barn, house or any of my black cherry trees!

beenthere

ancjr
I'd be for putting a notch in that tree on the side you want it to fall, and even consider making a backcut to within a couple inches of the notch. Then place a couple wedges in the backcut and let the wind do the rest for ya.  ;D

Or go ahead and tap the wedges in bit by bit so it falls where you want it, and not where the wind might take it. ;)

I'd even do it at night......given a storm might be approaching and not have time to drop it tomorrow.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ancjr

Quote from: beenthere on June 12, 2013, 10:50:40 PM
ancjr
I'd be for putting a notch in that tree on the side you want it to fall, and even consider making a backcut to within a couple inches of the notch. Then place a couple wedges in the backcut and let the wind do the rest for ya.  ;D

Or go ahead and tap the wedges in bit by bit so it falls where you want it, and not where the wind might take it. ;)

I'd even do it at night......given a storm might be approaching and not have time to drop it tomorrow.  8)

The rot is essentially on the "correct" side for it to collapse toward, and is also on the side in which the tree is leaning.  It just needs a back cut for it to fall.  I'm too timid to do it myself due to the crumbling crown.  It's dropped all of its branches save for the top 3rd of the crown over the past year.  Heard it crackling last night, seemed to be leaning a little more in the right direction this evening.  A logger I know said he was afraid to be next to it, still less cut it.  I really have no idea if it'll break up top or at the base due to it's form and lean.  Thought about taking it out with some well placed shots from the SKS, but that's a little dramatic.  :)

I figure when it does go, it's going to be a pile of mulch and shards not unlike the branches that fell were.

sandhills

Just hire Norm and the boys, they'll bring the 50 cal up and MAKE it fall the way you want  :D.

Farmerjw

If that tree was crackling yesterday, if you have half the straight line winds we have had so far, it'll be laying down tomorrow morning!  Been pretty interesting with the wind, hail, rain, quiet, more wind, rain, hail. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

beenthere

Farmerjw
You in Northwestern Indiana or Northeastern Iowa?? 
Indicates both in your bio. 

south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!