iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

We were cutting up the branches that fell on the red SUV and putting them into the dumpster Sunday afternoon when I found that broken passenger side mirror.
On the second bucket full of branches I rolled the bucket back to push the branches down into the dumpster more, and blew out a hydraulic line on the backhoe front bucket arms. With the bucket up in the air, and the split on my side, I was sprayed all over with hydraulic oil. Luckily I had on my safety sunglasses and didn't get any in my eyes.

That ended that job and was strike two, one being finding the broken mirror.

So we wanted to continue on with some timber framing and we needed to get a timber down of the top of the pile so we decided to back the trailer hooked to the red SUV over next to the pile and roll one 8x8x10 off the pile onto the trailer so we could move it over to the work area and saw horses.
I couldn't find the regular key chain to the SUV. I don't know where it was, because it was not in it's normal storage place. I found my spare and when over to start the SUV. Battery was dead.
Strike three. I was not having a very good day for sure.
Sweater and pants covered with oil, hat, beard and face as well. Not fun.

Yesterday I got a new line for the backhoe and got it put in:

The sun was bright and reflected off the chrome piston rods a lot in this picture but you can see the new line going left and right.

Today I might drive the SUV over to the auto body show around the corner to ask them how to properly take the mirror off the door so I can hook up one I get from the junk yard.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

What? No pic of you covered in oil?  (But that's ok. )

Now that you have struck 3, time for things to level out and work right for awhile.

Was the willow tree rotten where it broke and then landed on your vehicles? Any pic of the break?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: beenthere on October 28, 2014, 01:08:06 PM
What? No pic of you covered in oil?  (But that's ok. )

Now that you have struck 3, time for things to level out and work right for awhile.

Was the willow tree rotten where it broke and then landed on your vehicles? Any pic of the break?

No pictures of the break, yet.
I hope you're right about me having my three strikes.

And no pictures of me covered with oil. I had to rush in and rub down my face and beard to get it all off, and the shower right when I got home was great.

I did take some pictures today but not of that stuff.
I'll have to start another thread about today's pictures when I get more and have the story ready to tell.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

With a less than 50% chance of rain, and even then less than 1/10" predicted, I opted to not apply nitrate that might just evaporate into the air.  I'll wait until I see a more positive rain report.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

whats the nitrate for?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Brucer

Woke up to the first snowfall of the season this morning >:(. I had one last job to saw and it was supposed to be today. Alternating between snow and rain at the house all day, but the sawmill is 100' higher in elevation and it's been snowing steady at the mill :(.

We always get at least one snowfall before Halloween. Silly me, I thought maybe not this year.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

I regularly plant much of my open areas on the Tree Farm with Oats, Wheat, & Rye Grass.  It serves as a cover crop for much of the wildlife.  The rest is in Fescue which stays green year round.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

our soil structure supports amonium sulfate or urea for nitrogen inputs for grass and small grains. legumes take alot of potash but, our soils are fairly acidic so large sums a lime are requried to release the the micronutients in the soils and build a healthier soil
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

I do soil samples every few years.  It is amazing how much different the soils can be in the same drainage and only ¼ mile apart.  Some need lime, some potash, etc.

clww

86 degrees here at The Beach today. Hot working out there, especially this afternoon. Would not have anticipated it being this warm so late in the month. Forecast is for it to be near 80 again tomorrow, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 28, 2014, 04:54:00 AM
Fix the bearing and go to MO. :)

I wish. $6000+- for the overhaul and labor. And two weeks to do it at least. They have an engine with 180,000 that they can trade out for $4000, which will clean me out and then some. :(

I had enough $ for gas and trip expenses if I brought back a load of wood. This just doesn't work until the saguaros start selling in earnest, which is probably 3 more years. :-\

I'm thinking more Big Mesquite. Just don't have enough $ to pay SuperDave, so looking like a one man show until we sell more lumber. ::)

Things will get better ;D :-\ ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

Wet here today, but not pouring down rain. More mist like and fog.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Wet day here too. Not too bad in the morning for rain.  But late afternoon was more steady. Just let the cat out and it's raining again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Our next best chance for rain is next Tuesday.  Hopefully Monday will be my fertilizer day.

chevytaHOE5674

Been ugly UP here for a while now. High temps in the low 40's and upper 30's with rain and snow just about everyday. 3" of rain just this week alone.

Our first lake effect snow advisory has been issued for tonight through tomorrow something for 3-5" of accumulation :(

thecfarm

Just went to fill the OWB. The air has a bite to it at 40°.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Well they weren't joking about the lake effect snow. Its coming down and accumulating already :(

Magicman

No possibility for rain until next Wednesday here.  My number finally came up for some dozer work, so I am glad that it will hold off for now.  It would be amazing if I can get the dozer work done and then get the fertilizer out before it does rain.   ;D

SwampDonkey

Sunny here yesterday and sun today, in the 40's. Nice!  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

29° with a few inches of snow on the ground and its still coming down, winds at 20mph and gusting into the 50mph range so there is blowing and drifting as well. Feels like December out there.

SwampDonkey

We might get snow and colder weather on Saturday night if some of that weather off the lakes collides with a storm off shore. They don't know even if that offshore system is going to get here yet, probably know tonight.  :-\

pep

First snowfall of the year. Ground is starting to turn white. High winds out of the north gusting to 50 km.  been the worst fall ever, I think it rained every day for the last 2 months  :-(
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

thecfarm

There is ice in the buckets this morning. The first time for that.

Magicman

We have a freeze watch for the next couple of nights.  Forecast is for 33°. 

The rain possibility for Wednesday is now down to 10%.   :-\

mesquite buckeye

Ninety something and partly cloudy. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!