iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

We had a low of 15° this morning after the wind storm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

More rain all day today, but it looks clear for next week's sawing. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

I was looking for my shovel to help the water in my driveway "run off" and not create a huge mud puddle. I couldn't find it. Then I remembered I left it up on the roof. I went up there to get it and there was only a little bit of snow left up there. I pushed it off and now there won't be any more "ice dams" this year. I hope.

Jim Rogers

PS. less than freezing here this morning should rain here tomorrow.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chuck White

We have 40° at the moment, but started the day with 8° at 6:00 this morning.

That's about the way it needs to go for sugaring.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

It was about 34°. Sunny with some wind.This is the first day that the ends of the white maple was wet. I am cutting some for firewood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Was 6 this morning, and 28 this afternoon, a no sap day I'm afraid. Cold wind.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

The rain has cleared us, but look out NE.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Was a nice day here today. Suspect it wont last from the latest Sat map.

Still a Cat 5 Cyclone, but it's expected to veer East and only brush the East Coast. (with ~100 mph wind and a foot or so of rain)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Ianab,are you on the edge of that storm? Good luck to you all down there.

Chuck White

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 13, 2015, 06:57:54 PM
Was 6 this morning, and 28 this afternoon, a no sap day I'm afraid. Cold wind.

Wind, Temperature and Barometric Pressure all affect the sap run.

Another thing too is:  If you have solid cloud cover, your evaporator won't come to a full boil.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dean herring

59 and drizzle only 10% chance of rain. Cloudy.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

SwampDonkey

Our literature on maple sap tells us a good sap day in general terms starts out in the 20's and best not to exceed the 40's day in and day out. And it don't happen the first day it gets to 40's or warmer, it takes maybe 3 days to start moving with any significance. Of course it's written in metric and the window of opportunity is written as -4 C nights, +4 C days.

Last night it got to 0F here, now it's 40, but no sap. My cousin has seen to, that if the snow isn't melted from the tree trunks a little it don't run much neither. He's been sapping for almost 30 years. The snow right now is tight to the trees. And a major snow fall coming this way.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Quote from: thecfarm on March 14, 2015, 06:57:02 AM
Ianab,are you on the edge of that storm? Good luck to you all down there.

We are on the West side of the North Island. Storm is still tracking to go down the East coast, so we should miss most of it. High level overcast here this morning from the outlying storm clouds, but it's still a nice day here. .
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

All day clouds and it's a snowing.

SwampDonkey

It was in the 30's and sunny until late afternoon. No snow yet, but it's coming I'm sure.  ;D

40F earlier was a false reading with the sun on the gauge.

I shoed over 3 miles today in the woods and unplowed road going to the woodlot.

curdog

Looks like we'll be knocking on 80 for the next 3 days. Definitely going to speed up our green up for the year.

Magicman

Yup, high 70°'s+ here next week.  T shirts and Gatorade.  smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun

thecfarm

Went out to feed the deer and OWB. I have a good inch of snow and at 30° it has changed over to rain. Stepson called about ½ hour south and all rain. We are on the edge again for snowfall amount.

SwampDonkey

High winds here and light snow.

Chuck White

Light winds here, and light snow!

bhall

High winds here & light snow, still have a foot of snow and in the bottoms a bit more.
Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

FarmingSawyer

Well....after a week of really mild temps and a great reduction in the snow pack, it's a blizzard out there...... about 28˚ with heavy snow and strong winds. I don't think....I hope not...we're going to get the 8" predicted. It was supposed to rain yesterday, but it snowed instead. Quite warm last night, which is a good thing....at some point in the middle of the night, the back door thawed enough to come unstuck and blew open until I woke up this morning to a breeze.....it wasn't raining, but warm enough to cause a lot of melting and dripping.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

curdog

72 with a light breeze and 10-12 inches of sunshine  :D

thecfarm

Blizzard?? Good word. That wind is busy out there again, Or should I say still? Seem like I got more snow than at work,20 minutes away. Maybe only a few inches,but more. I only had about 2 inches this morning. Got home to maybe twice that much.

Magicman

High of 80° for the next few days and rain Wednesday PM, but that is OK.  I am sawing this week.   8)

Thank You Sponsors!