Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

That should help the weeds at least and kill the grass. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 30, 2015, 05:17:15 AM
That should help the weeds at least and kill the grass. ;D

Why will the grass die? The fire doesn't go that deep. Farmers around here do that and the fields come up nice and green.  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

Continual burning promotes weeds, kills or thins out grass. We never burn fields here unless is someone's back 10 acres they want to keep from growing up in trees and shrubs. And some of those fields are a source of major forest fires up here. If I'm growing hay I don't want a field of bedstraw, goldenrod, paint brush, thistles and strawberry. That's what will take over up here. Different soils I guess.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

curdog

I'm trying to promote the warm season grasses over fescue. I know fire won't eliminate the fescue, but I'm going to follow up with a selective herbicide.  I just needed the built up thatch gone so I can get herbicide contact. Them I'm going to plant shortleaf pine in wide spaced patches. Hopefully improve the wildlife habitat somewhat around the house. Already have a covey or two of quail. ....
But on to the weather, 40 and raining this morning. Getting up to 70.

mesquite buckeye

91 and sunny. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

130 in the greenhouses this afternoon. yuck. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

Thanks Swamp Donkey,
24° and snowing.  ::) I'm so sick of the snow and cold. I must be getting old. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

FarmingSawyer

31 and snowing with a sideways wind.  Gettin sawdust and snow in
My eyes. And the wood is feeling together. Where's this spring they keep talking about?
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

SwampDonkey

44F here, snows melting, sap's flowing...... 8)

goose63

Ol mesquite buckeye let go of that warm weather was sawing in my just my shirt to day made it up to 68
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

SwampDonkey

This afternoon we got some of that wind with some light snow that isn't sticking. Cooled down to the 30's.

curdog

Rained cleared out and got pretty warm.  70 right now. Going to be mid 70's tomorrow,  a little bit of a breeze.  Should be a good day to burn some pine stands.  8)

thecfarm

A cool cloudy day. Not much melting going on today.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Light white powder about, see some sun shining through.  ;D

thecfarm

Sun was out for most of the day.The low 30's and with a wind that kept the feel of spring at bay.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hilltop366

Nice day today, almost reached 40, 6 robins in back of the house, 8 deer in front of the house, small flock of geese across the driveway. I think spring has sprung.

SwampDonkey

Snow didn't amount to anything here. Squally this morning, now just clearing out. 36F today. Saw 7 deer in the back yard before daylight. Going cold tonight, not a sap day tomorrow I'm afraid.

thecfarm

Not much sapping going on here either. Some of the store customers have some,but only a day here and there.
Still light at 7:15. Now that seems real nice.
Snow is melting,settling down. I'm seeing more and more dirt by the wood yard. Not mud,yet,still froze. I only have mud where I am pushing the trees up.

bhall

A very strange day here in north western PA. Heavy snow from 6:00 this morning and by noon we had a good 6" fresh wet stuff to make the old melting stuff look real pretty. In the afternoon temperature got up to 35°F and stopped snowing. Thought the sap would not be running but it was. Is a good thing, keeps me busy.
Thursday the weather guessers are calling for 60°F, if so the sap will be shooting out the taps. Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

Jim_Rogers

I think it was very close to 60°F here today. I was outside without a jacket on, for sure.

Sunny all day, and clear tonight.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on March 31, 2015, 09:30:15 PM
I think it was very close to 60°F here today. I was outside without a jacket on, for sure.

Jim Rogers

Looking at you with your sunglasses on.....you strike me as a guy of flip flops and plaid shorts.
Glad your weather is warming up.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

We should have clear skies tomorrow so I had to move my Thursday's sawing up to begin tomorrow.  Supposed to be rain Friday.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 31, 2015, 09:43:56 PM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on March 31, 2015, 09:30:15 PM

Jim Rogers

Looking at you with your sunglasses on.....you strike me as a guy of flip flops and plaid shorts.
Glad your weather is warming up.  :)

I don't own any plaid short, for sure. But I am a tank top and shorts kind of guy, as soon as I can.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

SwampDonkey

Cold here today for shorts. Barely 34F. No sap. Cold enough to shatter a new pruning saw, in two places.  :o :D

thecfarm

Another nice sunny day,but that wind is blowing. Does help to dry things up. 35°
I noticed the field up on the hill has some bare spots. That puts my field about 2 weeks before I see bare spots.

Magicman

It was perfect sawing weather here today.  Slight breeze, mostly overcast, and low 80's.  Forecast to be the same tomorrow.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!