iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I have about 6 inches of snow now. 24°
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

About the same here, Ray!

I'll be getting the JD out with the snow pusher to clear the driveway!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

goose63

Yesterday 10 below at 4 am today 17 above high of 28 but by Saturday look out 25 below :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

cbla

8 inches of the white stuff for us last night

Bricklayer51

It is 8 degrees with a west wind my little friends are looking in the window I will have to go out and give them some seeds.

mesquite buckeye

66 and sunny  ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball: with my little buddies out the window at war.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

drobertson

show off :D 8)  nice picture there!  just waiting for a warming, cruising through the forum, as usual, lots of laughs and insight,  good day to you folks,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

That wind is real busy out there. Was fine until about noon,maybe. I had to go outside at work to take care of a few things and noticed the wind had came up. Single numbers with the wind chill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

curdog

Pretty good weather today, got up to around 50, with a little breeze. Was able to get a field burned off.  With all the rain we've had, it's putting me behind on burning, but a little at a time. 

WDH

I am planning to burn my pine plantations this winter.  Need to get the firebreaks ready. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 13, 2016, 08:00:58 PM
I am planning to burn my pine plantations this winter.  Need to get the firebreaks ready.

Do I need to be on stand by?  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: curdog on January 13, 2016, 05:56:22 PM
Was able to get a field burned off. 

Why do you burn fields? wildlife? or cultural?

Grass fires near plantations usually means burnt down trees up here in the springtime. And yes a lot of them have been burned down. It's usually someone besides the owner doing the burning.  :-X

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

You haven't seen a wild fire until you have seen a field of ripe wheat about 1st of July go up in flames .Once it's a fire there's no stopping it .100 acres gone in the blink of an eye .

coxy

10 and snowing like crazy  >:(

curdog

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 14, 2016, 04:54:38 AM
Quote from: curdog on January 13, 2016, 05:56:22 PM
Was able to get a field burned off. 

Why do you burn fields? wildlife? or cultural?

Grass fires near plantations usually means burnt down trees up here in the springtime. And yes a lot of them have been burned down. It's usually someone besides the owner doing the burning.  :-X
We burned the field for wildlife habitat and to keep the Virginia pine from taking over. We'll probably burn it for the landowner on a 2-3 year rotation.

thecfarm

We use to burn the fields here each year. My father said to help control the weeds. He would start at the top of the field and light about 30-40 feet at a time. Than go down the hill and light another 30-40 feet when it was all done burning. One side is bordered by a dirt road,the other side had a stone wall. My Father would be awful concerned about the fire getting into the stone wall,which was good. Than I started to mow around the field with a lawn mower,to keep down the bushes and he really liked that,because there was no fuel for the fire.
I was taught to respect fire,not fear it. Never start a fire with gasoline either. We had many brush piles that we would burn over the years. Never had a problem. Need to pick the day,well really evening,to burn. My Father would always say the night air is still.
10° here.

Chuck White

Fine snow blowing through this morning, visibility around 1/2 mile, temp 18°.

Looks like an inside day!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ox

4" of the white stuff and growing here and there with little flurries and squalls from lake effect.  I can't moan about it, we had an easy winter up through the new year.  Down to around 10 last night, every night for days.  Chickens aren't happy.  Stupid hay burner (horse) the wife has doesn't care - he's too stupid to realize it's cold!  :D 

No offense meant to any horse lovers - just a joke.  ;)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

mesquite buckeye

65 and sunny.  ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Got to make some fresh mandarin orange juice now. ;D

SwampDonkey

We had about 7" of snow here last night, a little wind but not bad. Died down now. Clear blue sky today. Got up to the high teens in the sunshine. Was 6 F this morning.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Many native grasses, like the bluestems, need fire to flourish.  They once covered the prairies.  The prairies burned from natural lightning strikes, maintaining the grasslands and keeping the brush at bay. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Because so many grass fires are left unattendend here and arson, they now require a permit and site inspections by DNR or be fined if convicted.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/arson-charges-pending-for-grass-fires-in-clarence-ridge-1.3070818

mesquite buckeye

Cloudy and 66. ;D 8) 8) :snowball:

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!