iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I have about an inch of something white. The dogs even leaves her foot prints on it. It is soft. The temp is only 34° and the trees are dripping.Might get to 40 today,than drop off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

we are enjoying out Summer Holiday here in Central South Island. Fresh snow on the hills yesterday, and frost on the car this morning  :o

Air temp is about 2C, but a great sunny day day shaping up, should be back to "Summer" by lunch time.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

curdog

I hope I'm not jinxing it, but looks like we're going to get a little snow tomorrow night through Saturday morning. Amounts change with every forecast, but right now it looks like 5 inches or so..... but I've been disappointed before. I don't want snow everyday,but I like to see it and then for it to leave in a day or two.  But should be close to single digits Sunday night...

caveman

I had to fix a busted water line when I got home from work this afternoon.  At 9:30, it was comfortable walking around outside in shorts and no shirt.  It is supposed to get cold on Sunday morning.
Caveman

Ljohnsaw

I'm just guessing but I think there is between 2 and 3 feet of snow (was 1 foot last Saturday on the ground) now at my cabin site.  Forecasting a record breaking storm coming in starting Friday night and ending Sunday.  Snow level will be fluctuating a little above/a little below my cabin elevation.  Everywhere else (lower elevation) is projecting high flood danger due to high river levels.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

2 mornings in a row that started out at zero. 8 above now,sun is out,clear and cold. Cold as the weather guy says. I have no idea what he will say when it gets -10.
Started snowing around 6:30 last night. I have no idea when it stopped. It was a very fine snow. Only got an inch.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

We missed the snow it's -1 out right now
Need to go clean and fill the pellet stove .
Sunny out with some wind .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jim_Rogers

It started snowing here around 11 am or so. And it was still snowing at 11 pm last I looked out the window towards the street light.
But we only got about 4" of snow.
South of Boston got a lot. Some places 18 to 20".

They can have it.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WLC

Clear and cold here.  Was about -10°F on the way to Church this morning.  Haven't looked since we got home, but still cold.  It'll be cold here till April.  No snow in the forecast, bummer since we've not had close to normal snowfall here this winter.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

thecfarm

-1 as I type.
2 days from now rain,high 30's.

coxy

how can that be your in the frozen north I have - 5 >:( >:(

WDH

A bone chillin' 28° F here.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

-8F at my place this morning :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sawguy21

-8C on the veranda right now, we had another 4" last night so have to plow again. We have had more snow in the last 3 weeks than all last winter. I am considering installing a tennis ball on the dog's tail so we don't lose her. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

-6 out there now,should be up in the high 20's today.
20-25 turkeys been out feeding steady. One deer comes and go.

Ljohnsaw

Had a LOT of rain on Saturday and it continued into Sunday and returned even heavier today.  On Saturday, about 800' lower elevation than my cabin build (at 5,800'), they got over 8" of rain dumped on the couple feet of snow.  That lead to some pretty big inflows to Folsom Lake, near my house, elevation 600'.  I turned it into numbers my 12 yo son could comprehend.  The water was coming into the lake are a rate that would fill our large swimming pool (33k gallons) 30 times A SECOND!  The reservoir gained over 100,000 ac-ft in one day.  The total capacity of this one is 997,000 ac-ft and today sits at 84% full.  It is higher than the rule-curve allows so they are dumping what they can down the American River, taking care not to flood Sacramento!  Today is supposed to be a record rainfall event (down here).  We haven't seen it rain this much since '86 or '97.  In '86, the levies barely held back the water.

Looking at the Traffic Cams up in the Sierras, it appears I80 east bound is closed.  I was watching what looked like a FEL going west trying to clear on off ramp.  On its 3rd pass, it came up past the camera.  It was a road grader with a front plow as well as the belly blade pushing the snow off as two regular plows were working the normal direction on the road.  Anywhere else use road graders for snow removal?
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

rjwoelk

They use them here in the country roads as well as sometimes  highways.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Andries

Country roads are generally cleared by dump trucks with snowplows on them; high speed clearing.
Road graders are usually seen in town where slow and careful is the only way to go.
Belly blade and wing blade are used to scape the packed snow down to the pavement and pile it up in windrows beside the street.
Right now our windrows, or snowbanks, are about five feet high.
Normal for the Northern Prairies - but sounds totally crazy for California!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ljohnsaw

First time I saw road graders for snow clearing was on CraigsList.  There was a new-looking John Deere monster with a split blade in the front.  It was hinged in the middle so it could  face left or right or be an arrowhead.  I thought that looked like the ticket for clearing a lot of snow.  It would work real good for clearing the private road to my cabin (1 mile) and hire out to clear all the camp ground roads (10-20 miles?).  It had a bargain price of $125,000!
John Sawicky

thecfarm

Only in a real bad snow storm are graders used. Those storms don't happen to often,maybe once every 5-10 years. The snow plows can't keep up with it when it's snowing hard.

gspren

We also see graders used on rare occasions, and also sometimes with major drifting they need BIG front end loaders on some roads.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: gspren on January 10, 2017, 07:00:05 PM
  We also see graders used on rare occasions, and also sometimes with major drifting they need BIG front end loaders on some roads.

Around here Graders ARE the plows in winter! The highways are handled by the trucks UNTILL there is too much snow for the trucks, and that can happen pretty fast when the wind gets blowing.

This video how a plow at work in the county just south of where I live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-7M1Jvy5UI
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

thecfarm

Rain at 40°. I had to sand the driveway to get to the end. I live on a dirt road and the road is all ice. I slid on the road standing up. I wanted to get the truck to the end of the driveway. I will walk down to the truck and go to work. Just about looks like I will be riding the ditch to work. Try to find something rough to keep me from sliding.  ;D

Ox

Wife called off work today - the whole mountain is nothing but a thick sheet of ice.  I'm glad the power didn't go out.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

sandhills

Wind.  I didn't look to see what the actual temp was this morning but it doesn't much matter, get to stand all day looking into a nice 30 plus North wind sorting cattle, like people, they don't much care for it either and cooperate accordingly  :-\.

Thank You Sponsors!