iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curdog

Last weekend snow, this weekend 60 degrees and it's as muddy as ive seen it in a while. Hopefully we can dry up just a little bit. 

SwampDonkey

Thermometer showed 50 at one time, no fire tonight again. It's 80F in here now, I've been threatened with waving finger. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lxskllr

Had a fire most of the weekend. Warm yesterday and today, though temps are dropping. It stays cool in the house. I just looked, and it was 55°, so I made a fire. With my glut of wood, I may get through the winter without a lot of furnace use. I have the thermostat set to 50° as a fallback, and it's come on a couple times, but most of my heat's been provided by wood. Just wish we'd get some snow. I was tired of rain months ago.

chevytaHOE5674

UP into the mid 30s again today. Few days ago we had a foot of snow, now I plan on moving cattle tomorrow so they can graze some of the exposed grass. Moderate temps, dry south wind, and sunshine takes its toll.

SwampDonkey

A foot of snow gone in 30-40F temperatures? That would barely dent it in 3 days up here. :D We've had 3 mild days now and I see no change in the snow depth around the fields here. But we never had any deep snow either, 8" at the most. Not over the top of my logger boots. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Snow here,30°. About an inch,more is coming.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Pulphook

Quote from: lxskllr on December 15, 2018, 04:05:20 PM
My old friend rain is back getting my yard nice and saturated. Flood warnings and 50s this weekend. Disappointing for jul season. Sitting in the house, drinking rum, and watching Star Trek TOS reruns.
Wait one second there...what happened to the real man's choice :  Laphroaig ?
Rum ? :-[ Give me a break.
...and Star Trek ?  :-[
Downeast coastal weather: some snow, freezing rain, some more snow, more rain. Where is AlGore today ?
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

chevytaHOE5674

When we get a dry south wind it melts our snow like a blow drier even when it's only 40°. Add to that a few nights where it never got below freezing so it was 38-40° by 8am it takes its toll. Under the snow the ground isn't froze at all so it also melts from underneith. 

lxskllr

Quote from: Pulphook on December 17, 2018, 08:15:52 AM
Wait one second there...what happened to the real man's choice :  Laphroaig ?
Rum ? :-[ Give me a break.
...and Star Trek ?  :-[
I like all kinds of spirits. When I wrote that, I had started off with Highland Park, had some Sagamore rye, and settled on Pussers rum when I typed the above. You'd probably like the new Highland Park. They got a new master distiller, and he upped the peat significantly. It's kind of an Islay light now, whereas before it was light and sherried a la Macallan.
I'm a little ambivalent on rum in general. They don't have strict definitions on what rum is, and you end up with shenanigans like added flavor or sugar. I've pretty much settled on Pussers for my rum fix. It's aged spirit only; nothing added. Robust flavor, with toasted caramel notes. and a hint of coconut. Still made in wooden stills  :^)

Pulphook

T.M.I.  ;D

Before I forget : MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!   to all.
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

SwampDonkey

Our ground is pretty much frozen here. Just a crust not very deep. Does that when winter cold arrives early. It is odd to go through November with not a single day hit 50F and not a single night warmer than 36 and not many of them this fall. So that makes a difference. ;D It has been in the 20's here at night for a few days, but take a shovel to the ground on those 40 degree days and she's still hard down there. :D

This is the kind of fall that allows earlier spring tree planting by the end of April, frost won't be deep. I'll be transplanting raspberry and grapes this spring before May 1st.

My fella burying my water line was worried 6 feet wouldn't be deep enough. I said it was for 50 years, with the same well and a line buried 6 feet. He had frost go down 6 feet and froze his. I told him once the snow is gone around here, there ain't no frost at all and no water on the ground. Good drainage here, the clay is only on top of the bedrock here, not up through the strata. :D

chevytaHOE5674

We've had plenty of cold weather but our snow usually comes before the cold so the ground stays insulated ( we've had snow cover pretty steady since october). Where I've plowed the snow the ground is hard as a rock and even at 40° and sun you ain't sticking a shovel in it. Where there has been snow you can dig down as deep as you want this early in the year (in fact I used the tractor and dug a hole yesterday without any trouble). These mild sunny windy days once a little spot of snow melts to that thawed dirt the sun does a lot of melting in a hurry.

I had a waterline buried 6 foot deep and it froze up multiple times. Dug a new trench about 10' deep and haven't had a problem since even if the animals or tractors run over it and push the frost down.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, the line here is plowed all winter on top and has never froze up. They dug a grave two weeks ago for a relative and no trouble. As I said just a crust on top so far. I walked in the woods up at the woodlot less than two weeks ago and the springs were all open and standing water was not chilled over. I'm waiting for it to freeze up some before venturing out there again. Hard to snow shoe with wet snow sticking to the shoes. My woods is flat ground, no hills just a gentle slope to the south, so gentle you wouldn't notice. But that is the direction the water flows. Yet it's funny the damp spots are mostly firm except right over spring holes. :D

thecfarm

Hard to tell how snow I got. Maybe 3 inches? Warmed up to above freezing and a little rain on the end,makes it hard to measure while I am working. It's 8pm and it's still above freezing now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

We had snow all day here, might be 3 inches. Now wind to blow it around for awhile. :D

Al_Smith

I dips down below freezing at night,mid 20's then maybe mid 30's in the afternoon .I let the fire go out because I was out of town for a dew days .Won't start it back up until after Christmas .Ground is frozen,no snow cover .

Old Greenhorn

Hi today was 32f, low tonight should be around 12f. Then warming up to mid 50's on Friday with heavy rain. The weather is making me crazy. Frozen ground to mud, then back again.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sawguy21

Either I slept through winter or it missed us completely. The grass is greening up :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

40s and sunny. Supposed to warm as the week goes on, and more rain Thursday night/Friday. yay  :^|

Yard's still wet, and the side yard's pumping water. I put a dawn redwood out there this fall. If this obnoxious weather keeps up long term, it'll throw up some knees. I'm kinda looking forward to that. It'll give me something to plant around, and eliminate grass.

thecfarm

16° this morning.
All that I'm seeing tomorrow high 40's :o  and a lot of rain. :(  Might be like once last year. Ground is frozen and people was buying sump pumps,for basement, from the store. We run out quick. Might be 2 inches of rain. I might have 6 inches of snow on the ground,with that melting too,not good.

chevytaHOE5674

10° yesterday morning then it warmed to 47° and rained on and off all afternoon and night, temp never dropped below 36° last night. Foggy and rainy this morning and most of our snow is gone. Strange year.

SwampDonkey

Well it was 20 this morning and around 40 now. It is suppose to rain hard for a couple days, but I bet there will be lots of snow after. We only have a foot now. As I said before, our snow just does not melt that quick here unless it's 60. :D Only going to be mid 40's in the rain. All this is going to do is make a crust on top. Beaver ponds here are not even iced over solid, open on the dam side. I'd never walk on one until the end of January, and then only on the actual dam. Anywhere I can look down on the ice and it looks black....no way gringo. :D

lxskllr

Rain. What a surprise. See? This is my surprised face  :^|

I was hoping to cut some wood at work today. Had to go do something less fun than cutting wood, and when I finished, it started raining. Supposed to rain through tomorrow night, with the oh so rare flood warnings again. 60° tomorrow. Just in time for winter solstice. I miss the old days when we actually got winter. Mind you, the extended fall is pleasant enough, but it isn't natural. It's not supposed to be like this, and doesn't make up for the awful summers. I should move north, but I'm getting too old. I know where everything is around here  :^/

Pulphook

Rain w Force 6-7 S. winds ....AlGore temps @ +/- 40 F. Not nice for the Solstice.

thecfarm

30° and a light rain.
I have to go to work at 9 this morning.I drove the truck down to the road. My downhill 500 foot driveway is all ice. I have studs on my 2 wh drive truck. The last knoll I had my foot on the brake and I was sliding all the way down. But sliding in a straight line. ;D  I did not need to be sideways in my driveway on the way to work.

Thank You Sponsors!