iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

It was about 50 at 5:30 this morning and warming. It rained all night HARD. The frozen ground is not accepting the new water and it's pooling everywhere. The pond is maxed out and over topping and it looks like I need to add a few more water bars on the skid road, all my fresh crushed stone is rolling down the hill. I should have pulled the top board out of the dam a week ago, but I was layed up. We expect another 1-2 inches of rain today through til tomorrow morning. Sheesh!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

The water is even pooling on the side hills here, absolutely insane.  We had a couple days without rain, but no real drying to speak of, then rain all yesterday and last night.  There is still cotton and a LOT of soybeans in the fields.  Didn't do any fall field work myself, will have to frost seed with any luck this winter.  Never had a fall, it went from 100 degrees in September to the first hurricane and never stopped raining since.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

54° and drizzle here now!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Started raining here when it was 28F this morning, so it was cold air at ground level and was fog. Now it is 35F, far cry from predicted 45F. No bare patches from the rain so far. Driveway is nice and icey. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Finally got up to 48° around 5pm,or felt like it was warmer. Kinda on the cool side all day,or felt like it was. Fog was very bad on the home after dark.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Was 23° this morning with freezing rain, so slippery outside the safest thing to do it crawl on your hands and knees. I'd take 23° and 3 feet of snow over this accumulating ice. The main roads are salted but all the side roads like mine are skating rinks, worst conditions to drive on.

thecfarm

Almost 9:30pm and 50°. :o  Still raining.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Pouring down rain and 50° out there now, supposed to change to snow after midnight!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sawguy21

-3C with a clear sky and full moon. That usually means DanG cold this time of year. The snow is gone in the valley and little on the mountainsides, the ski operators are hurting. The logging trucks coming through town are covered in mud.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

48F here this morning and wind driven rain. The ice is about all gone off the driveway, which is good indeed. I think we did lose 4" of snow though, the front of the barn around the door is all bare for about 8' out from it. And some bare in the fields. We had a lot of hard rain and fog, that'll do it. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Still warm here,46°!!!!
Looks some of the snow is gone. Still kinda dark here. I get home when it's just about dark too.Just making room for more.

Chuck White

Well they were right, there's about ½-¾ inch out there and big wet, heavy snow flakes falling!

SwampDonkey

Warm fog still drifting over the land of snow. :D

Old Greenhorn

Almost 3 inches of rain in the past 48 hours. Once the ground thawed sometime yesterday, the runoff really did a number on my main access skid road. Trench was 10 inches deep. SO the first thing I had to do before I could even get down to the mill was go find a dead fall, cut it off to the right length and dig in a water bar and try to smooth things out. Not my first choice as the first task I do when recovering from the crippling back pain that hit me 13 days ago. (I don't want to waste all the money I spent on 3 chiropractor visits.) But that's what you do, so I made the ugliest water bar I had ever done and hope it holds through the winter. Moderating but freezing temps through the next few days, so maybe it will firm up. I also took the top board out of the pond dam hoping to take the load off. Maybe tomorrow or Monday I will pull the other boards and let it drain for the winter (I'd like to do a clean out in the spring). I cleaned a lot of drainage flow lines today way downhill from the pond. By the time I got to the real task down at the mill my back was too tired, so I just did some organizational work to prepare for tomorrow. I also discovered I have misplaced (OK, LOST) my 4' cant hook, which is driving me crazy. Who does that?

Ever see an uglier waterbar? I really need to get some equipment. The slabs are just providing a little ramp for my mule to get over it. (The pond is just to the left in this photo.) I probably should have placed it 2 feet further down the road and will have to re-do it in the spring.

And this is the pond before I pulled the top board. (The new water bar is to the left, not seen in this photo.)

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Right now I am depressed by the weather, my weakness, the high winds, and the cold. Maybe I will bag the completion of the shed until the spring which would really disappoint me, but I am not really enjoying having to push myself every inch of the way to get this done. Tomorrow is another day and i am hoping it will 'feel' better.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

thecfarm

Nothing a matter with that!! It works.
That snow sure did take a beating today. I made it home in time to see alot of dead grass in the field.

Chuck White

The snow didn't amount to much around here!

It was really coming down heavy this morning, but only added up to an inch, now the temp is 24°.

The weather has been really screwy lately!  :-\

Southside

Speaking of screwy weather if the folks talking about the solar minimum are right y'all up north are going to have to acquire a taste for grits it seems.   :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

lxskllr

Really pretty outside tonight. The moon's especially bright, 40°. Wouldn't mind sleeping outside, but I don't know where my good sleeping bag is. I need to get my bench cut into my oak log. That would be the perfect place to bed down  :^)

SwampDonkey

With the moon last night it was lit up like daylight around here. We never had any snow in the cool down. 22F this morning. Fire on. :)

Old Greenhorn

28 this morning, blue skies and no wind! WOW what a difference a day makes. even though my back is complaining, I feel like today is the day I can get something done after wasting yesterday doing urgent repairs brought on by the weather. 8)
 Here's hoping.

thecfarm

We went shopping yesterday,headed North. Ten minutes from the house are snow covered fields. No dead grass can be seen. There are no snow bankens by my house either. Where the snow covered fields are there are snow bankens too.
The driveway is bare. Where I drive my tractor to the wood pile and pack is ice. Back to kinda cold weather. In the teens at night and high noon close to 30. As the guy on the weathers says,cold.   ;D  ::)  Don't matter what channel I watch,they all say it. They still say cold at -10 too. 

SwampDonkey

Was 10F this morning, and ice falling from the sky over the mountain. Weird, I think them windmills are ice makers up there, I have no doubt about it. No sirree. :D

chevytaHOE5674

22° today with 6" of snow here, down the road 5 miles at my rental house just over a foot of snow. Winter has returned.

Southside

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 24, 2018, 02:52:46 PM
Was 10F this morning, and ice falling from the sky over the mountain. Weird, I think them windmills are ice makers up there, I have no doubt about it. No sirree. :D
All joking aside they may create a local "inversion" effect and do exactly that.  I am sure it happens in other places but along the Wagner Mountains in Oregon it happens and man oh man talk about strange weather when it does.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

0F this cold, but green, Christmas morning. :)

Thank You Sponsors!