iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

The first of the outside bands of the storm have reached us, about 5 minutes ago, and we are getting a pretty good rain shower.

I talked to "The Man" again about moving this thing on out of the way.  He must not be listening to me.  :-\

ADAMINMO

He always knows whats best!!

Tom

That's what I've been told, but I think he has a streak of Practical Joke running through him too.  :-\

DanG

It may be all my fault Tom.  I asked him to find a way to get it to Ga. without bringing it through here. :-*
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I saw that DanG.  You could be right, but, I just don't understand why he couldn't be taking it up I-75 where it would be doing everybody the most good?

Fla._Deadheader

Just got a report that there was a twister in Teri's area. She's OK, but, there was damage and injuries.  :o :o :o :o :o
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom_in_Mo.

Hope you guys get Aunt Fay's nerves all settled down by time me and Adam heads towards moultrie.

Tom

If this thing hangs around till October, you'll need an Arc.

Tom

So Far, the eye is following the least inhabited parts of the southern part of the state and is dead center on Lake Okeechobee right now.  The fastest winds are supposed to be in the eye wall, so I guess this is great for minimizing wind damage.   The bands that reach to the East and Northeast are solid with water and still carrying a lot of wind.  Thank goodness it isn't a Hurricane.

I don't envy anyone where it spawns tornadoes, but I'm sure glad it's running the course it is running and not scouring one of the coasts.   The place really needs washing anyway. :)

WDH

This thing is moving oh so slow.  If we get any effect here, it will be late Friday or Saturday.  We need it bad, the rain that is, minus the wind.  I have got my fingers crossed.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

You will see some of it before then, if things stay the way they are.    We got the first band off of it at about 11 or Noon  today.  If the bands remain as far-reaching as they have been, you might get some rain tomorrow Morning Tonight.

Warbird

This guy is quite a few crackers short of a full box:  http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/weather/2008/08/19/florida.kite.boarder.wfor

When I emailed this to friends, I subtitled it: "Kiss the dirt!  KISS IT!  And that car!  And that building!"  :D

Seriously though, I do hope he is all right and that he learned a lesson.

WDH

Natural selection has its place.........
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Fla._Deadheader

Just heard from Teri. She is at Lynda's, and messaged me from there. She said the Twister went through 1 street over from her. She lives in a Modular home park, and they are back to back, facing their respective streets.  :o :o :o

Reminds me of the twister that spun the blades off our Wind generator. It was only 120 feet from the house, when it went by.  :o :o :o

All about the same as Haytraders recent experience.  :o :o :o
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

I don't understand why it didn't enter that guy's mind to turn loose of that rope?

WDH

FDH,

Glad to hear that Terri is OK!!

Tom,

I bet he turns it loose next time ;D.  Nothing like the school of hard knocks to teach a fellow a thing or two or three or four...

Tom

If something snatched my bohunkus into the air about 40 feet and slammed me into the dirt and dragged me twenty feet, It would be a cold day in ..... miami...  before I let it snatch me back into the air again.   Let alone three times, or more, and then smash me into a concrete wall!

He looked a little like superman, didn't he?   On second thought, he looked more like that guy that played in The greatest American Hero, or whatever that movie was where he found a "super suit" delivered by aliens.   He had a hard time learning to fly too.  :D :D :D

We can laugh a little, I guess, 'cause the guy lived through it.  A little worse for wear, I understand.  I don't know what "Critical" means in a situation like this.  :-\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzEb5IzdcrU

Rocky_J

As of 5pm he was listed in critical condition and his prognosis was not good. Odds are that he won't survive.  :(

Looks like Darwin scores another one!  ;)

Tom

The Storm, Fay, is now east of Fort Kissimmee and spinning around on the Blue Cypress Swamp (Blue Cypress Lake) that takes up the wilds between there and Vero Beach.  It is the Headwaters of the St. Johns River, which exits in the Northeast corner of the State at Jacksonville 300 miles away.

Tom

I just noticed that Reuter's had to get their two cents ....farthings.  ..pennies ..  in.   What are they trying to do, make it look like Florida is retributing for coffee and fuel prices?? :D

QuoteOrange juice prices shot up on Monday on fears Fay could hit major citrus growing areas. But traders said the groves would have to be struck by several much stronger storms, as they were in 2004 and 2005, for fruit trees to be affected

Tom

The weatherman is covered.  They are saying that it can go anywhere.  :-\

Chances are that it will go off-shore some undetermined distance and then turn back West.  That means it could reenter Florida anywhere from Daytona to Jacksonville, or Brunswick, Ga. to Charlston S.C.

The slim chance is that it hits the coast and stalls, but that is not expected.

I guess we will find out tomorrow. :)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Tom on August 19, 2008, 06:25:10 PM
On second thought, he looked more like that guy that played in The greatest American Hero, or whatever that movie was where he found a "super suit" delivered by aliens.   

Robert Culp?

I remember him mostly in Columbo and some westerns, one with Rachael Welch I think. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Well for the first time the humidity is higher than the air temp this morning. It's about 48 F here at the house. Nice cool, crisp and dry I have been begging for. The next four days however are going to be in the high 80's.  Got to get the mowing done today I guess. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Harold, I sure am glad that you heard from Teri and she's safe.   

Tom, thanks for the memory, that was one of my favorite shows to watch with the boys when they were little.  They just don't make them like that anymore. 

The weather reports that we are getting up here say that (although it seemed impossible), Fay gathered strength when she hit land.  They still don't know what to expect, but a high pressure system from the North is expected to hold her in the South for quite a while yet.  Hang on WDH, I think yer rain is coming. 

Say when

Roxie

By the way Tom, that guy that was kite boarding in the storm was harnessed onto the kite according to the news we're getting. 

Just unbelieveable...........

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!