iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

The weather man is covered again. :D  This is what they are saying about Georgia.

National Weather Service meteorologist Steve Letro said it's possible southern Georgia could receive 10 to 20 inches of rain — enough to cause severe flooding — if it makes a second landfall.

They said we could receive up to 12 inches.  I bet we didn't get 2. (Which was good)

Jeff

I gotta think what we have up here is going to have an effect on keeping fay slow moving down there. If I was a self respecting tropical storm, no way would I be heading in the direction of someplace that was 37° over night on the 20th of August.  The DanG furnace kicked on!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Just talked to Teri. She's back home, and the streets are standing water. She has a Pontiac Grand Am, and is not about to use it as a submarine.  Has scrap Aluminum in the back yard, and was watching 1 channel on Dish, and it showed a LOT of damage all around her.

Weather channel says it will slowly move north, to Jacksonville, and stay WIDE to cover parts of Mississippi and east to the Atlantic. Should produce wet conditions throughout Georgia and Alabama, as it sits over the Panhandle of Fl.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Lanier_Lurker

While south Georgia does need rain, it does not need another 1994 flood.  Let us hope something like that does not happen.  I just hope this thing will reach up to north Georgia with some significant rain.  Compared to the other reservoirs in the Chattahoochee and Flint basins, Lake Lanier is worse off to the tune of orders of magnitude.  And it has little to do with "human consumption".  Lack of rain in its tiny basin, and overly liberal releases through Buford Dam are the culprits.

Tom

I awoke to heavily overcast skies and regular bouts of rain this morning.  No wind, but the air is heavy.   We got most stuff picked up yesterday and a place to put the Expedition in case of hail.

Jeff

Yer not thinking of leaving the Toyota out in a hail storm are you??  :o ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Quote from: Roxie on August 20, 2008, 06:32:01 AM
By the way Tom, that guy that was kite boarding in the storm was harnessed onto the kite according to the news we're getting. 

Just unbelieveable...........

I feel bad that he may not survive.  I haven't heard any further updates on him.  Has anyone else?  I hope that this will set an example for others that strapping yourself to kites, boards, or whatever, in the middle of a hurricane/tropical storm is really not a bright idea.  :-\

Jeff, it's been colder than normal up here, too.  They had hard frost in North Pole the night before last and it had gotten to 38 F, at my house in the latter part of JULY!  41 F here this morning.  *sigh*  Time to get all the outdoor stuff completed and things ready for 7 months of snow and cold.

SwampDonkey

Well the mowing got half done. I was enjoying myself behind that push mower in this crisp cool weather and the dang handle broke on the lower half of it. It comes in two sections and I was lucky to find a number on it. A new one should be here by Tuesday. Doesn't pay to hurry I guess.  ;D

Oh well, got some more thinning the mark out tomorrow.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

QuoteYer not thinking of leaving the Toyota out in a hail storm are you??

I was going to put it under the shed, but the Expedition won out.  So, I pushed it over by the shop where the rain might wash it off.   Besides, the grass and sweet gums in the bed need watering.  If I put it under cover I'll have to carry water to them in buckets.  Not going to do that.  :D

Tom

It's getting awfully Dark here as the heavier outer bands reach us at 6PM  It's nothing, yet, like those to the south have been through yet.

The storms center has expanded to what looks like a diameter of 60 miles or so and the edges aren't nearly as rough as they were this morning.  I thought there for awhile that it was going to break up, but, now I see some semblance of organization again.   It might be because the center is now entirely over the ocean, whereas earlier, it was half and half over the land and ocean.

I decided not to water the lawn today.  :-\

Fla._Deadheader

My son just reported a total of 16" so far, and more to come, since the storm has stalled in Daytona. He's still seeing high winds with the heavy rain.  ::) ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

When you talk to him next, tell him to shut the door.  :D

Carries-Mom

Hey ya'll...It's been a while since I've been on here, but just had lots going on with a new job and putting Carrie into day care....I was standing in the middle of my street and the water came up to my knees...good thing we have the dodge, but that might not help us in a few hours...the water is up to the running boards and the rain and wind is still coming...By morning we may be stranded here for a while...Barefoot bay got hit with a nader yesterday...over 50 homes destroyed especially with the constant rain and wind since...it was only a few blocks away from Teri...needless to say, the dodge brigade went and got her yesterday and took her home this morning, but all is fine with her so far...As soon as I get pictures worked up, I'll post them...hope everyone is ok with this pesky storm... ::)  By the way, anyone got a boat that is close by??? :D :DMay need it by mornin'.. :D ;D

TexasTimbers

It's been raining again so much even Red wanted in the shop today. She never comes in here. I didn't have to train her really, she just knows she shouldn't come in the shop and has never shown an interest to do so with few exceptions. Those always being food or visitor related.

I have seen this dog sleep soundly right out in the rain during the summer. But today it was raining so hard for so long, and lightining struck the house once and shook her all up, that she decided that human shelter habit wasn't such a bad idea. She hates t-storms. I was standing in the door watching the light show and she came up to the door, glanced up at me with that a "I'm coming in. Move your fanny." look. I mean this is RARE for her.  I stepped aside and she came in and laid down right where you see her. I went and yoinked an old bathroom rug for her at lunch from the shed, and she got up long enough for me to lay it down. Then went right back to sleep.

Lazy tick magnet. She didn't even go mousing along the fence line when it quit raining for a spell. She always goes hunting them up after a good rain. Not today. I think she's gettin old. i think I'm gettin old. i don't like rain, or cold, or worse, cold rain. Don't mention that white stuff.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Mooseherder

This Fay is incredible.

Tom

Fay is still stalled on top of Daytona this morning.  That leaves Harold's kids still in the backside of the center and continuing rain. 

The bands hitting Jacksoville are now more than rain and we are getting some fairly strong wind gusts.  I can't believe that it hasn't moved, nor can I believe the size of this thing.  Most of its size is still off-shore, but there is still plenty right on the coast to cause concern.

My trees will get a good cleaning.  I have decided, again, not to water the lawn. :)

This is a Doppler Radar Image.

DanG

Here it comes! :o  I think I'll sleep on the inflatable mattress tonight. ::) :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ADAMINMO

Well Tom ..... Do you need a boat or bail bucket down there? Did you make it through ok? Hope all is well. Hang on down there DanG , Don't need ya floatin off!

DanG

Tom has been off the air since yesterday at 7pm.  Betcha the cable went out.  They're still catchin' the dickens over there, and we're just now getting some sprinkles.  I don't figger on seeing sunshine until sometime Monday or Tuesday.

Adam, I was planning on taking a canoe paddle to bed with me.  I'd hate to wake up downstream without one. ;) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Warbird

I just found an update on that kite surfer.  Thankfully, it looks like he is going to live.  As much as everyone has been giving him a hard time about the intelligence of strapping yourself to a sail in the middle of a bad storm, I never wanted him to die:

"The same report from the Herald does have some good news as according to his mother, Kearney is improving in the hospital and has been stabilized and is conscious.  According to the report his condition has been upgraded from critical to serious."

I hope he is thanking God right now.  All reports I've seen have indicated that he was actually very close to death.  Haven't found any reports saying what his actual long term condition will be.

You guys still in the path of all that rain stay safe.  Give us updates as you are able.

ADAMINMO

That may be a good Idea there DanG. Be careful out there and stay dry(Try anyway)!! :D :D

WDH

Quote from: DanG on August 22, 2008, 10:49:31 AM
Adam, I was planning on taking a canoe paddle to bed with me.  I'd hate to wake up downstream without one. ;) :D :D

It is only when you are up the creek without one that you are in trouble ;D.

Hang in there DanG.  Looks like it is going to miss us by about 20 miles :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

We'll be hanging on. ;)

I never really understood the premise of that old saying, except the part about which creek it was. :D :D  In all the other creeks, I always worried more about being caught down the creek. ::)

I'm situated on tall ground here, with Hurricane Branch a half mile East, and 50 feet below me, and Flat Creek a half mile West and 80 feet lower.  It's gonna take a heckuva flood to float me outta here. ;D

Radar67

Quote from: DanG on August 22, 2008, 12:27:45 PM
I never really understood the premise of that old saying, except the part about which creek it was. :D :D

It's like this DanG, crap flows down hill, if you are caught in that creek without a paddle, you will end up in the vile, disgusting place know as Septic.  :D :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DanG

Just got off the phone with Tom.  They, along with 87,000 other households in Jacksonville, are without power.  I checked the website of their Electric Company, and there is no prognosis on a restoral time. :-\

Thank You Sponsors!