iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

We got 4/10" rain last night, it's 36 F now. My weather station says a small storm is coming in. This morning it was clear blue sky, now it's filtered sun with high clouds moving in from SW.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

moonhill

Same here this morning, beautiful, spring like, calm, first sun in weeks, I think.  Clouded up by noon and rain just now, changing to 3"-5" of snow by tomorrow. 

Our solar power system is not working well with the short days and cloudy weather.  I hung laundry on the line just before Christmas and brought it in the house to dry last night, should have waited, just gave up on it. 

Tim 
This is a test, please stand by...

thecfarm

Started snowing here Jan 1 at around noon,stopped Jan 3 in the early morning sometime.Did not get much snow until last night.I don't think we got 6 inches total in 2 days.But last night made up for it.We got probably 8 inches last night. Looked out and it's snowing again. Looks to be a wet snow,34°.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

Quote from: thecfarm on January 03, 2010, 09:03:41 AM
Started snowing here Jan 1 at around noon,stopped Jan 3 in the early morning sometime.Did not get much snow until last night.I don't think we got 6 inches total in 2 days.But last night made up for it.We got probably 8 inches last night. Looked out and it's snowing again. Looks to be a wet snow,34°.

If that happened down here things would be a mess ...There is only two of us that work for MDOT road maint....in this county that even has 4WD trucks...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Kansas

NE Kansas had the most snow in history at most reporting stations in December, around 19-20 inches. That may not sound like a lot to some of you, but usually snow doesn't really get started until January in these parts. We wound up with about 7 inches over normal for the year on moisture. We had the coolest August to October period on record. Cold and wet pretty well sums it up around here, and the next two weeks are going to be way below normal temp with snow.

stonebroke

Quote from: Banjo picker on January 03, 2010, 09:15:33 AM
Quote from: thecfarm on January 03, 2010, 09:03:41 AM

If that happened down here things would be a mess ...There is only two of us that work for MDOT road maint....in this county that even has 4WD trucks...Tim
Why would you need four wheel drive if you only got eight inches? You need four wheel drive for the big snow storms( two to three feet)

Stonebroke

Warbird

-31° F this morning out at the airport.  -24° F here at the house.  I'll trade you guys?  You take the frigid temps, I'll take the snow?  C'mon.  It's a good deal.  ;)

WDH

Supposed to be in the mid-teens here tonight and tomorrow night.  We seem to be afflicted with the "curse-of-the-north"  :).  What have we done wrong?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

motohed

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 28, 2009, 02:17:20 PM
We got 4/10" rain last night, it's 36 F now. My weather station says a small storm is coming in. This morning it was clear blue sky, now it's filtered sun with high clouds moving in from SW.

SD that sounds like the weather foracast we get down here ! LOL meaning  we just arn't shure what your really going to get . :D

beenthere

Quote from: WDH on January 03, 2010, 11:42:33 AM
Supposed to be in the mid-teens here tonight and tomorrow night.  We seem to be afflicted with the "curse-of-the-north"  :).  What have we done wrong?
Hope it is real cold where Gore is.  ;D

Not so bad here, only negative 12 F last night. No wind, and sun out today, temp up to plus 10 F.  Nice day.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Well the storm of the new year turned to 4" of slush, driveway is now bare after cleaning this morning. Been 36 F since last night after midnight sometime. Suppose to be mild for the next 3 days. Well, maybe these mild spells will give a good base to test drive my arctic sled when I've completed it.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

moonhill

We received 12-18 inches and a slight warming at the end, enough to make it very greasy.  I was stuck once last night and hauled the truck back on the road with the excavator, just couldn't see the road out in the middle of a field next to the lake with the wind blowing.  I put chains on this morning and was stuck again, just needed a little tow this time.   I am going to add a set to the front. 

Do you folks out in the middle of the country get just dry snow?  Nearly every snow we get here on the coast mixes at some point, rarely do we get a nice dry snow.  Dry snow is so nice.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

chevytaHOE5674

We are 1/4 mile from the big lake and we often get wetter snow until the lake freezes over.

thecfarm

Moonhill,you need to go north for dry snow.  ;D  This snow was wet for me too.Most snow in my area are dry.Been a bad year for wet snow. I work in the Auburn,50 minutes from here.Quite often I leave work and it has snowed,but turned over to rain in Auburn.About half way home,Turner, it will start to change back to snow,than all snow the closer I get to home.Even 15 minutes make a big difference here.Makes for some interesting driving  to and from work.Been there more than 20 years.My step son lives in Hallowell.Said it was pouring there around 4 PM.Was a mix here at that time.He lived about 35 minutes away.Snowed and rain all day here.Did not amount to nothing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Warbird

Nice warming trend up here right now.  They are calling for highs in the 20's by mid-week.  That will be 50 to 60 degrees warmer than yesterday.  I can dig it.  :)

Gary_C

Quote from: Warbird on January 04, 2010, 11:04:51 AM
Nice warming trend up here right now.  They are calling for highs in the 20's by mid-week.  That will be 50 to 60 degrees warmer than yesterday.  I can dig it.  :)

Your loss is our gain, or rather loss!  ::)

It's been right at -30 F for the last three nights and no end in sight. They say it will get slightly warmer and then another artic blast. Oh goodie!  :(
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Got up to 44 here today once the sun shone through. Like spring, even the starlings are coming out of hiding.  ;D

Raider Bill

High of 48 on Clearwater beach so far today.People [yankees] swimming believe it or not, although not many.....
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Magicman

And, our weatherman is calling for a "Hard Freeze" tonight.  Supposed to be down to 230..... ;D

Warbird....that's a warmup for you..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

MM,

Too DanG cold for me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

My pump froze last night and I didn't get water till about 10am.  Was going to go out and fix it this morning and changed my mind when I opened the door.  I figure that lucky old sun has nothing to do, but roam around heaven all day.  So, I'll wait for him to get high enough take care of my problems.

Hmmm, That sounds like it might make a good song.   ;D

SwampDonkey

:D :D  How the heck did your pump freeze. The ground don't even freeze down there. What you using a garden hose? ;)

pineywoods

Folks, this is getting weird. I had a first for me today. Pallbearer at a funeral during a heavy snowshower. In Louisiana, that's deep south if anybody wonders. Going down in the teens tonite, forecast to get down in the single digits before the end of the week. The hydraulics on my mill flat refuses to function. I remembered  that the dozer needed antifreeze, got some poured in, really was surprised to see the thing grunt, belch black smoke and finally start to stir the antifreeze. I'm going through fire wood like a forest fire, not worried about running out yet.
BrrrRRRR
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

stonebroke

SD
down in FLA. everything is above ground out in the open air. No wonder they have problems with things freezing.

Stonebroke

DanG

The prognosticators are prognosticating maybe 10°F here tomorrow night.  This only happens every 20 to 30 years, so we don't normally design for it.  It can be catastrophic when it does happen, especially if it is the first such event you've seen in a place.  Things you never dreamed of can break!  My well tank is above ground and standing right out in the open, and I have numerous unprotected pipes all over this place.  I'll leave some faucets dripping, but it will be easier to fix the damage than to try and protect everything.  I will put a temp shelter over the pump and tank and put a light bulb under it though.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!