iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevytaHOE5674

Seems like you folks need to build your houses for this new Global Warming phenomenon.  8)

Its ~15*F here and I was just outside in a flannel, jeans, and moccasins.   :D

dnalley

Dang, you better make sure it's one of those politically correct flourescent bulbs :)  That should help a lot! ;D

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: dnalley on January 04, 2010, 10:36:00 PM
Dang, you better make sure it's one of those politically correct flourescent bulbs :)  That should help a lot! ;D

Because they put off soooo much heat.  :D :D Anddd they take 10+ minutes to warm up in the cold. haha

WDH

Quote from: dnalley on January 04, 2010, 10:36:00 PM

At least that way, you will be energy efficient even though you have no water  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CLL

Looking for wind chills in the morning of -20-30 below. Temps down to 11 below this week-end.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Warbird

Quote from: Gary_C on January 04, 2010, 02:40:52 PM
Quote from: Warbird on January 04, 2010, 11:04:51 AM
Nice warming trend up here right now.  They are calling for highs in the 20's by mid-week.  That will be 50 to 60 degrees warmer than yesterday.  I can dig it.  :)

Your loss is our gain, or rather loss!  ::)

It's been right at -30 F for the last three nights and no end in sight. They say it will get slightly warmer and then another artic blast. Oh goodie!  :(

Yeah.  I saw on the news this evening that the stream was moving the Arctic temps down to you guys.  I wouldn't want to gain warm temps here at that cost, as lots of folks in the south simply are not equipped to handle it. 

SwampDonkey

Up here is warm New Brunswick, we have a stationary low sucking the heat out of the south.  All that hot air has to go somewhere or it might even be a bigger catastrophe down there. :D 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

moonhill

yup, the temp is stuck around 32°F, cloudy too :(. 

I think I will go pack down the woods road, wet sticky snow will make a nice base.

Tim 
This is a test, please stand by...

stonebroke

yesterday Montreal was warmer than Atlanta

Stonebroke

DanG

Yep, and this morning Orlando is colder than Moonhill's place.  Right here, it has made it up to 21 already.  Other than the chance of some busted pipes, we aren't in any trouble here in N. Florida, as we expect a few "hard" freezes each winter anyway.  In the Central and South parts of the State, agriculture is in full swing though, and the farmers are fighting like mad to save the tomato and strawberry crops.

For my own part, I'm just suffering slight discomfort.  I don't own any Carharts or even long underwear, but I'm still functioning.  Some of those folks down south don't even have a jacket.  The biggest danger when it gets cold down here is from people using improper heating appliances.  There have been several tragic house fires and a couple of carbon monoxide deaths already this week.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

Dan, being from da north and having never been to da south , do you have any central heating in the house ... or do you try to warm up by the Dodge wheel ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Gary_C

Well another -16 F night here. A gradual warming trend till wed night and 3-5 inches of new snow, blowing and drifting on 15-25 mph winds followed by another very cold night and a warming trend towards next week when we may see highs up around 20 F. They say this artic air mass is going to finally start moving east.

Don't want to wish it on anyone, but will be really glad to see it gone from here.  8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

DanG

Quote from: isawlogs on January 05, 2010, 09:03:43 AM

Dan, being from da north and having never been to da south , do you have any central heating in the house ... or do you try to warm up by the Dodge wheel ???

:D :D

The central heat in this place crapped out several years ago and it just ain't worth the trouble to replace it for no more cold weather than we have.  When it does get cold, we just close off the unused rooms and run a couple of electric space heaters.  The kitchen stove will take the chill off of the living area pretty quick in the morning, then the space heaters can keep up with it ok.  It's a little like camping at times, but we get along ok. ;) :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Chris Burchfield

I plugged the heater up for my dog(s) house yesterday. Was down to 14°F this morning when I woke up. Going into the single digits by Friday with chance of snow Thursday. Dang, I pulled some temps for light bulbs.

25W - 110F
40W - 252F
60W - 260F

Don't remember the temp of a 100W bulb. This is what they use in Easybake Ovens for kids.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Bro. Noble

We had two new calves last night with the temperature at 6 above.  Got them in hutches with plenty of straw and fed them some warm colostrum.  When I left to go to the house,  they appeared to be in a lot better shape than I was :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

wwsjr

11* at 6AM, 24* now with wind chill at 17*in NE MS. That is cold for this area. Forecast for Sat Morning @ 5* with wind chill of -10 to -15. I think the  WM will not be started this week.
Nic and warm in the house but my natural gas bill will probably be higher this month.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Cedarman

Rain, snow, hail or sleet, if woodmizer don't run, we don't eat. Of course there is a roof over it, but open to the south. Electric starts at any temp.  Mud is now concrete, I am loving it. We are moving the harvester to a tract of cedar tomorrow.  Should be about 15 when we get started cutting.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WH_Conley

If my WM don't start I don't eat either. With the mud I have on the logs on the lot (cable skidding before freezing) if it don't start I will still have some blades with that on them. ::)

Guess I needed to go on a diet anyhow. Where is the starving smiley?
Bill

Magicman

Don't know about starving, but maybe this'll keep Dang warm...... laugh_at fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CLL

You boys down south can thank Jeff and the other boys up north for this. They send it to us, 8" snow, not above freezing for two weeks. So out of kindness we sent it on to you. Just glad we don't have what they do.
Too much work-not enough pay.

SwampDonkey

Can't complain when the low is 27 degrees at night.  ;D Easy on the wood pile to, I never had a fire in the furnace for a whole day in between fire ups.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

24o yesterday AM, 38o this AM, and supposed to be in the teens tomorrow.  Gonna wear the mercury out in my thermometer.

Well to be honest, there's no mercury in my thermometer......it has batteries..... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

No kidding, SD.  These warm temps we've had so far this winter have really made it nice and easy on the wood pile.  If this keeps up, I will have a great head start on next years wood supply!

Brucer

Normally the prevailing winds that circle the globe tend to keep the northern weather in the north where it belongs, and the temperate weather in the mid-latitudes where it belongs.

Once in a while you get a bulge in the bands of wind, which causes folks down south to whine about us Canadians sending them snow. Sometimes the bulge goes north and the snowpack on our world famous ski hill turns to slush in January.

Once in a while the winds zig-zag right around the globe and that's what's happening now. This time it's apparently pretty extreme. Record lows on some parts of the norther hemisphere, record winter highs in others. Here in southeastern BC we seem to be right on the edge of one of those shifting bands: we've had 3 periods of extremely low temperatures, followed by periods of above-freezing. Get a nice snowpack, and it turns to slush. Then the slush suddenly freezes and you get light snow on top of the ice. Wonderful avalanche conditions :( :(.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Cedarman

Brucer, I know about your weird BC weather. New Years Eve 1974 I was working on some equipment on the catwalk of an oil rig just south of Fort Nelson which is way up north on the east side of the mountains and it was 50 degrees.Loved those Chinnook winds.  Down right balmy at 3 AM in the morning with a nice sw breeze.  We left about 7AM and headed south.  Didn't get about 50 miles and it was 20 below. 

Here in So In we are having the kind of winter I remember as a kid 50 years ago.  The weather station this morning said we might get close to breaking the record for number of days with temp not hitting the freezing mark.  We are talking from the low side, not the high side.  BRRRR.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!