iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

15 F is the expected low over the next 2 or 3 days and then warmer again into the 20's by mid week. That ain't even cold, just wool sweater weather to me.  Probably wool long johns underneath though. Got'm might as well wear'm. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CLL

Temp is 0 this morning with a high of 5, in the morning -5 with a wind chill of -20/30.  Sure cuts into my deer hunting, as I'm not into frozen deer.
Too much work-not enough pay.

stonebroke

That's got to be about as cold as it ever gets in Missouri?

Stonebroke

Warbird

You guys are tough as nails, dealing with those kind of temps that far south.  With the high humidity you have there, those kind of temps hurt bad.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Warbird on January 08, 2010, 03:20:15 PM
You guys are tough as nails, dealing with those kind of temps that far south.  With the high humidity you have there, those kind of temps hurt bad.

Warbird,

I think the coldest I have ever been was back in January 1976.  I was topside on a submarine at the Charleston Naval Weapons Station, we were handling special weapons, and the high was 16 degrees.  The wind blowing at about 15 MPH off the Cooper River did not help any ether.  The only thing that keep the fire hoses for freezing, was that they were salt water charged and running all the time.  I had a one hour rule; you worked topside for 1 hour and then you came below desks.  But, every time you went in or out of the weapons area, you had to open your cold weather gear so the guard could check you for weapons or other unauthorized stuff. Man was it cold when you opened up for those checks!!!!!!!!!

I have been in colder weather, -16° to -10°, in the mountains of Virginia and WV, but I have never been as cold as I was down on the river for this load out.

Bruce

Magicman

I've burned more wood in the last 3 weeks than I did for the entire Winter last year.  That fireplace insert has been working full time..... fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

Bruce, yup.  That sounds pretty cold!

You will all probably be happy to hear that it is frigid up here again.  I am guessing this means it will be warming up down south pretty quick.  -45° F on the airport thermometer this morning.  -32° F here at the house.  Brrrrrrrr.

Emptied most of the ash out of the wood stove last night.  The fire was nearly out this morning and the stove was pretty cold.  It always amazes me how the ash holds so much heat and keeps the fire going longer.  It was 79° F in the house when I went to bed.  66° F when I woke up!  Not bad for a 111° F temperature differential but still...  I don't like it that cool inside when it is that cold outside.

Oh!!  Also, check this out!  The humidity yesterday was 95%!!!  AND we had wind!  I haven't felt that cold in over 20 years.  Just walking outside HURT.

SwampDonkey

Almost 20 F here today with a stiff N wind blowing. Not bad for mid January, down right great.  8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Warbird,  It least you are not slapping skeeters..... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jim king

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on January 12, 2010, 07:54:52 AM
I've burned more wood in the last 3 weeks than I did for the entire Winter last year.  That fireplace insert has been working full time..... fire_smiley

I had a 2 year supply stashed in the barn. I'm already into next years wood pile and the propane tank is down below 20%. Had a frozen water line this morn. No water to the clothes washer, hope the sock drawer holds out till it warms up.. :(
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Warbird

When are they predicting warmer temps for you guys?  Judging by the fact that all the Arctic air has moved back into the Arctic, I would hope you guys warm up soon!

Kansas

For Kansas, it started in the western part today, and moves into eastern tomorrow. Mostly 40's for the next 10 days. I am so ready.

CLL

Been below freezing last 14 days, suppozed to be 34 tomorrow, in the 40's next week or so.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Magicman

We'll be back in the low 20's tonight and then into the 50's tomorrow.  We should then stay above freezing for at least a week.

Sprucegum

Pineywoods;

A propane tank at 20% or less will stop working when it gets cold. You might need a light bulb under it for heat until the refill comes.

des170stihl

This has been the coldest Jan. in North Carolina in 27yrs. Alot of people did not plan for this when they ordered their firewood last fall. Some are starting to burn green wood. Which some are finding out does,nt burn very well.
STIHL MS170* STIHL MS260 Pro* STIHL MS 230* ECHO CS 341* Husky 339 XP * Wallenstein 20 Ton Splitter* Massey Ferguson 1528 w/Grapple ( Skidder Wanna Be ).

Brucer

It's raining here! Steady since Sunday, and forecast through the rest of the week. This is snow country. It doesn't rain here in January. It doesn't even get above freezing during the day. Ever. Until now, that is.

Sounds like Warbird might be sending down some of that cooler air, though.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Warbird

They are predicting -47° F here tonight.  And the humidity is still high.  So nope!  We are pretty much keeping our Alaskan Arctic air up here now.  Whatever else you are getting is coming from somewhere else.  I would blame the Canadians, if I were you.  ;) ;D

SwampDonkey

Well I hope the slopes in Whistler have dry snow. The last time they hosted out there they had to move the games to the Rockies in Alberta.  ;D

They built a ski slope and Lodge in Prince Rupert, they haven't had snow that stuck around long enough to ski on for years. That's way up north of Vancouver about 500 miles.  ;D

Magicman

This morning's paper stated that Jackson has experienced 106 water main breaks.  Shows what abnormal weather will do.

moonhill

Do earthquakes fall under the "weather" heading?

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

DanG

Quote from: moonhill on January 13, 2010, 12:32:10 PM
Do earthquakes fall under the "weather" heading?

Tim

Yeah I guess they do, by default.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I don't consider them weather.  'Course I don't live by default.

beenthere

:D :D :D :D

Tom lives by depond.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!