iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Pole Kid

New here, so thought I would make it easy and post on the weather.  Besides the great freezing rain few weeks back (after a balmy -30 week), it decided to get cold here.  Got up to -48 at the house...supposed to get colder...  I love AK..

Banjo picker

Welcome NPK ...I think it got up to about 60 here today before it cooled off a bit...I don't think I could stand it up there...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

And I sawed in a T shirt today.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

We had to salt some of the state roads and all the bridges in this county yesterday...Lots of wrecks... had someone killed in Alcorn county and another fatal wreck in Monroe county...Us southern folks don't do well with freezing rain....I rewired the lights on my salt spreader today while you were sawing MM... smiley_crying smiley_crying  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

sandhills

Welcome to the forum NPK, I love Alaska too, but mostly in the summer ;D.  We get down to 0 here every once in a while and some days it'll be below that but usually not too many, that I can stand.
Banjo picker, ice is the worst, we got about 1/4 inch yesterday so not bad enough to cause a lot of problems with trees or utilities but sure does make for interesting driving and choring.

WDH

Finally warmed up enough that I could glue up a project in the shop  :).  I look at weather from the standpoint of whether I can glue or not glue.  Most of y'all have it much worse  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

We'll get 0°C here once in a while too till spring comes around  ;D  It's snowing here now. :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

clif

Welcome to the Forum North Pole Kid, it is only -18 F here tonight .......so far!   Clif
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

SwampDonkey

Sun here and 9 this morning. But humidity is high, chance of snow squalls.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Hoiw can it be nine at your place when it aint eigh here yet  ???   ;D

Four inches of new snow to be clear off waits for me this morning  8) ::)  -12°C
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Supposed to hit the 70's here today and tomorrow. Clear sky's great riding weather.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Magicman

Quote from: North Pole Kid on December 16, 2010, 09:22:45 PMI love AK..

Welcome to the Forestry Forum North Pole Kid.  Now that you have broken the ice with weather, tell us about your sawing/logging/timber/firewood interest.

BTW, I've been to North Pole, Ak. once.  I loved it too.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I've been to the North Pole to and the Christmas mountains, only I never left New Brunswick to get there. ;)

Marcel, operative word here is "and", not "at". ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

That four inches of snow turned to six as soon as I made it outside  :D  The -12°C stayed the same, mosquito free weather. One can ride here with out the face shield  ;D

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Yeah, climbed up into the 20's here today and a little snow late. Nothing to get the shovel out for, maybe the broom. :D

Yeah, no need to pick your teeth either without them flies and bees colliding. ;D

Raider Bill

We hit 74 yesterday!!!!
Rain today though. Hope it clears up for tomorrow as we are having out annual Toys for Tots run and expect 2500 motorcycles to show up.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Banjo picker

Quote from: isawlogs on December 17, 2010, 08:30:48 PM

That four inches of snow turned to six as soon as I made it outside  :D  The -12°C stayed the same, mosquito free weather. One can ride here with out the face shield  ;D

Marcel you need to tell me what you could possibly ride with it -12 deg.,,,,surly not one of those horses .... :o  Tim

SwampDonkey

Well....  ::) Suppose to get some snow Sunday into Monday. Catch is, rain to follow. ::)  No more water please!!  :-X Some areas are already disaster stricken as it is.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Banjo picker on December 18, 2010, 01:31:25 PM

Marcel you need to tell me what you could possibly ride with it -12 deg.,,,,surly not one of those horses .... :o  Tim

They call'm snow mobiles. ;D

Banjo picker

I should of known that...but they are an item that southerners don't even think about...but I rember that when Bobby an I were in NH several years ago...you could see them on lots like we have used cars....Tim

isawlogs

Put the horse in front of you , sit in a sleigh , it works for me  ;D

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Marcel, you suppose we could hook a draw pole to that red sled, to the side here, to the horse? ;D

isawlogs

I am sure that if you bring it here , we can arrange some kind of hitch that will accomodate a pulling power of some sort. I have a horse here that is in need of finding out what a harness is for  ;D

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Brings to mind a flashback. My uncle always used a horse to yard firewood logs and other wood over the years, even had sleds and such. But, age catches up I suppose. Although 50 something is that old, because my grandfather still cut firewood in his 70's. But, what I'm getting to is this. He had the horse, saws and such and then started hiring out the cutting one year. The guy had nothing else to do with himself. Hard to believe. I guess the horse was just a pet from that point forward. ;) :D Now, no horse, he's cutting and wheeling out stove wood for the kitchen by hand and wheel barrel.  ::)

Warbird

-34 F here right now.  Supposed to dip well into the -40's tonight.  We have not seen warmer than -20 in more than a week.

This is just like one of them good 'ol cold snaps from the mid-1980's.  Hopefully it doesn't dip down into the -50's and -60's before breaking.

Thank You Sponsors!