iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Nothing for a week,no rain,no snow,just weather.  ;D 20's at night ,40's at high noon.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

March 23 1967 the day I left for the navy .It was also in the middle of a snow storm .March is supposed to come in like a lion and leave like a lamb but every so often things get turned around .Somebody must not have fed the lion .

thecfarm

March can be bad month here in Maine. Now April SHOULD treat us good. The last few years have been real good to us. There was a March maybe 3-5 years ago,we got all of our snow in March. It was snowing every 5-7 days.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Normally in these parts it's a heavy wet snow that really doesn't last long .Melted off in a couple of days .

Well I still have the tire chains on the Fergy if it comes to that .

SwampDonkey

Been squalls here since the sun came up, nothing to measure, but white wet weather anyway.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

I hope I didn't jinx the Midwest.  I took the chains off the tractor yesterday. ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

OK, I am sending you guys in the East some more.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chain

It's the same-o-same-o...here. Not much snow, not much rain, Miss. river crested one foot below flood stage and will fall a foot per day this next week. But it's a damp cold out there, hard to warm up.

Al_Smith

Well this out worked well .The start switch went funky on my Fergy ,probabley from using a 12 volt battery on a 6 volt starter .Four  times the amps .Four times the power too for that matter ,Ohms law ya know . ;)

So I ordered one Thursday and got it yesterday .Just in time for the snow .Whooptie doo .

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 23, 2013, 10:26:42 PM
OK, I am sending you guys in the East some more.   :o

Your package was delivered.  >:(
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

12 volts?,that must of made that poor 6 volt motor turn over at a pretty good pace.  ;D The only 6 volt system that I was ever around was on the NAA Ford. Those 6 volts sure do turn over slooooow.  If someone was never around one,they would think, that ain't going to start. But with the Ford they would never get it out of thier mouths,before it was a running.
32 was the low here last night. Wind was blowing yesterday and did not feel too bad. That wind today has a bite to it.

Al_Smith

Yeah it kind of "shocks" the system but those old 6 volt crankers weren't worth a hoot .You can buy  after market 12 volt starters but they fetch upwards of 250 bucks. :o

I keep two starters rebuilt with new brushs etc on hand should I need to change one.A set of Delco brushs which are the same size used by 50-60s' Cadillac are  less than 3 bucks a set .They last a couple of years . Just more of my junk yard dawg stuff . ;)

In a short I'm going out to change the starter button ,about a 15 minute job and another 10 minutes to hang the blade on the three point.

Al_Smith

Not to skew off too far but kind of related to weather .I almost think when Sir Edmond Hillary made the crossing to the south pole in 1958 using 1956 Fergy Te 20's made in England if they must have had 12 volt starters .

I can't imagine them not to because those lousey 6 volt deals especially an English built Lucas could barely roll them over at 20 degrees .20 -40 or so below they'd never have gotten it done .

Now no doubt during that crossing they probabley never shut them off for long periods of time but never the less that 6 volt system  would never got the job done .

Now as far as my little world although it's been years since it's gotten that cold mine will start at 20 below .If I never have to do that again it will be too soon .

thecfarm

You are right about them tractors not liking to start when it was cold. My Father did not use the tractor much in the winter. He did do a little logging with it in the winter,but when the snow got deep he was done with the tractor. No electricity here until 1986 so no way to plug it in to get it warm.

Al_Smith

Well one thing about a hoss or a mule is they always start .They might not be so keen about freezing their behinds off though but most people aren't either except those north woodsman who think they are polar bears .

SwampDonkey

That's when horse log'n was done was the winter, to be ready to drive the rivers. Stuff pulls easier over ice and snow than mud and rocks. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

Quote from: OneWithWood on March 23, 2013, 12:26:49 PM
I hope I didn't jinx the Midwest.  I took the chains off the tractor yesterday. ::)
Put the chains back on quick, the snow is coming.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

Been mild enough for the sap to run that last couple days. Yesterday was in the 40's. It's 29 here this morning, so another sap day coming.

tyb525

We got about 10" of snow, very wet snow too. The kind that gets you stuck easy! It's still coming down.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

clww

5.5" of new wet snow since last night up at the cabin. Spring yet?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

chevytaHOE5674

Weather guessers keep calling for sun and warm, but it keeps staying on the cool side at around 30°'s and has been snowing lightly for the last 3 days straight.

mesquite buckeye

Sunny and eight zero. 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on March 25, 2013, 03:44:59 PM
Sunny and eight zero. 8)

Thank you, That sounds so much better than sunny and 80.  :D

Cloudy here,with some sun,but not much sun. Seem like we've been this way too long again. But I suppose it will keep the flooding down too. The field is just starting to show some color besides white.

thecfarm

Lots of brown in the field now. Just starting to rain out,just a drizzle for now,but I guess it will start to rain later on. Tomorrow suppose to be some sun. The ponds close by are still iced over,but are not safe to be on. Still ice right up to the shore line,but I bet it's mighty thin.

Thank You Sponsors!