iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

camping cobblers

Started by metalspinner, August 24, 2008, 03:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

We just got in from a weekend with the Cub Scouts.  Boy, am I wiped out!  I could tell ya'll all about the hiking, animal watching, biking wipe outs, creek explorations, the raucous I caused from blowing Reveille at 6AM  smiley_devilish, or any of the other fun things we did.  But I'm cutting right to the chase with what is the closest to every one's heart... dessert!

The serving presentation... 8)

Can ya'll almost smell um?  The labels show the cake mix used then the fruit filling.  One label was turned around.  But I know what was in it. Any guesses?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Texas Ranger

Upside down and backards?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Mooseherder

That is awesome! 8)
Got any pics of the finished goodies. ???

Sprucegum

Fantastic !!

I just got my first-ever Dutch Oven and am really looking forward to trying it out.

Did you preheat tham at all?
How long was the bake time?
How often did you peek in?
What else do I need to know?  ::)  ::)

metalspinner

Sprucegum,
We did not preheat.  Although, that may have moved things along a little bit.  We needed to prep these desserts early, so it all went into a cool pot.  Plus, the fire pits all had our Hobo meals in them.  My guess on bake time was about 45 minutes.  We had many different sized pots, so some were finished earlier than others.  It was not until after the fact that we realized we payed no attention to what pots cooked faster than others.

The charcoal counts were 8 coals under each pot and 17 coals on the top row. I'm not sure how that works out to the temp, but one of the Dads thought he had it figured out.  Any one care to explain?

When we started to smell it, we peeked in. ;)  Some were just perfect, others needed more time.  All turned out delicious and were gone within 15 minutes.  Ten of these cobblers sent 70+ people away pretty satisfied. :)

The recipe is embarrassingly simple...two cans of your favorite fruit, a box of your favorite cake mix, and about a 1/2 stick of butter.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Sprucegum

8)   8)  8)
Thanks for the recipe as well. I'm gonna surprise the whole crew next time we camp out.  :)

WDH

If I had some apple cobbler, I would go eat it right now ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pappy19

Huckleberry-fresh peach cobbler is the absolute best, especially with a glob of real whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

WDH

OK.  Now I have to try huckleberry-fresh peach cobbler :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

I just finished a bowl of home made blueberry cobbler over real ice cream. Sigh, I am
stuffed. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

All that looks good.Good for you helping with the scouts.
Seems like each piece of charcoal is 75° F.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!