iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging arch build-finished & tested!

Started by Ed, September 23, 2008, 08:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ED B

I agree with one of the other replys. A ball hitch gives better rotation permitting a safer transport. Northern supply has a nice small one with some nice safety features used with four wheelers. An additional feature they have is a sloped bar that lifts the log as you start pulling it. This also sets the log down as it starts pushing you. Great on hilly terrain.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200325611_200325611
Look for their video!
Do It With WOOD!

shinnlinger

Thatt Northern thing is OK I guess, but  Ed's and Ironwood's are WAY cooler.  HOw can I be a member of this site with one of those Banana colored things knowing what Ed and Ironwood made?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

RSteiner

On the arch I made 25 years ago I put a hand winch on the rear of the arch to pull and lift the log under the arch.  There are times when I would like to have a second winch in the front for the heavy ones.  I have found that if I place the log just pass the middle balance point under the rear of the arch I can lift the front by hand.

I always put a chain under the front and the rear to secure the log for travel rather than let it hang on the winch cable.

Randy
Randy

neslrite

We do use the Shelby 2 speed winch.

I sell the winch with a 25 ft 3/8" cable with slider.

The advantage our arch, Ironwood's arch and Ed's arch has is that the log is totally suspended, therefore backing up is now an option.  This is a tremendous advantage over the Northern skid mate.

Tam I Am

rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Ed

I made one more addition to the arch.  8) 8) 8) Turned out pretty well I think.  :D :D

The holder thingies are from Baileys. The Logrite fits in good & tight, it's not going to fall out.

I took a better pic of how the winch cable exits the back of the arch too.

Ed

Banjo picker

That is sharp Ed , I may make a few changes to mine before I put the new cable on, and incorprate a few of your ideas.  neat to have the cant hook on there.  We have two mill special logrites ourselves.  I am going to make a change similar to what you have on the Y that catches to front of the log.  As i have had a short one that dont want to come forward enough to sit in it.  Will make it adjustabe as you did with the pin and put another connecter a litte farther back , then the y could be moved to either position.  Also like the unclutered look of the cable running through the tubing.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

rdbrumfield

I built one of these back in the early 80's for my 33hp yanmar.  Of course it was built much heavier but the same configuration.  I used hyd for dumping the first one.  this one works well behind my quad and is very useful around the farm.

I used a boat winch and it works quite well for dumping the trailer and picking up logs.  It has 2000 lb rated spindles although I would never load it that heavy.  Just the thought of taking a heavy load downhill with a quad gives me shivers. I see some of the loads and I know they are just for the pics, but in reality I think I would want a quickrelease trip if the load started to take over where the pulling unit was going to go.

Jeff

Ed, do you have a part number for those "holder things" from Baileys?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Thanks Jeff. I wanted to ask get that info too.   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Jeff

Good news. They are going to be available from LogRite.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Banjo picker

Well tell Tam i am to send me a pair.  They done got my numbers.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ed

Quote from: Jeff on February 18, 2009, 10:44:47 PM
Good news. They are going to be available from LogRite.  :)

8) 8) 8)

Methinks you are all set now.

The maker of those clamps recommends a #10 bolt or screw to fasten it to whatever. That seemed a little small.....I used 1/4-20 flat head screws, no modifications required.

Ed

Ironwood

Has anyone tried to get an arch DOT approved? Just curious.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

shinnlinger

What if you just registered it as a homemade trailer for the biggest load you anticipate?  You could put magnetic lights on it, electric brakes and a triangle if you wanted.  flag the butt and call it good. 

Obviously this assumes you have a sturdy design, a secured load,  and good tires and all that but I doubt you would run into any trouble.  I doubt I would around here anyways.
Shinnlinger

Ironwood

Shin,

Thanks, just wandering. I did note on the Future Forestry site before Kev and Tam got it to Logrite, that the Hugo was cited "not yet DOT approved" and was curious what it would take to make one "official". The DOT issues continue to plague us folks and I am just waiting to get pulled over and then to go through the whole "what the !@#$% is this your pulling" the State cop says deal.

Ironwood

shinnlinger

I still feel that if you registered it you would go a long way toward avoiding hassles and how much is it register a trailer in PA???  Up here it is less than $20 (I think, none of my trailers are registered here come to think of it) If it has a tag I think you could point that out to the officer and that should do the trick.

My logic is if you have a log (Or anything else) that sticks past 3 ft hanging off your truck or trailer and if it is secured and flagged you are OK if you meet weight height requirements and I don't see why an arch changes any of that.  I would mount my lights on a 2x6 that I could screw on the butt end for turn signals. safer and keeps the lights out of the woods where they wont last very long.   You could even put electric brakes in the hub.
Shinnlinger

lancek

You should be able to make it legal but you would have to put electric brakes and a light bar as sudgested you would allso need to make sure that the tires were dot certified and capable of carrying the load that is where the cops will look frist in this situation the axles need to carry wieght of the load and trailer and should be plated for both allso the truck plates need to be heavy enough to handle the combined weight of the truck and trailer

Brian_Rhoad

To register it as a trailer it would a title and proof of axle capacities. Brakes if over 3000 lbs gvw and lights. If the log hangs out the back more than 6 feet you would neet an oversized load permit. Triangle or slow moving vehicle sign is illegal if traveling over 20 mph.

Ironwood

Is that more than 6'  ::)

There is a light bar, I just needed longer wires than 18'  ::)

Ironwood

Papa1stuff

Maybe you should put another axle under there too! ;D ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Ironwood

Went right past town hall w/ that load as well, no sirens, no lights , so no problem  ::) :-X.

Ironwood

sjfarkas

In California you can register a home made trailer for $12.  DMV doesn't even inspect it.  They just want to know where you got the parts to build it and how much you paid for the parts.  They put a VIN sticker near the hitch.  They say it is up to Highway Patrol to deal with the legal. 
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Piston

Just out of curiousity, what do you guys do for an axle arrangement?  Do you just get a hub and weld it to the steel, and bolt the tire right on? 
That is a well built looking log arch if I've ever seen one!  Nice job.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Ironwood

The one in my pics is "homemade" and the axle is welded on. I am contemplating use of a set of 17.5" rim/tires with a torsion stub set up. $2400 just in parts from Redneck. They use this set up on 12 ton trailers to avoid dual tandems. I think a set of tires/ axles good for 12,000 should do it :o.

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!