iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To Peel Or Not Peel,That Is The Question ?

Started by wannabeonetoo, September 25, 2008, 08:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannabeonetoo

Hi guys , I couldn't resist  ;D
Should I peel eastern white cedar to plant as posts into the ground ? or does it matter ?
They will be for pasture with electric wire, also I will be making a small shelter to close in home-made evaporator (maple syrup, not "shine"  :'( :-X).
What's the verdict  ???
  Steve

WDH

I have no idea.

I would not go throught the effort to peel them if I was doing it, but that could be all wrong.  I guess you will have to determine if the work required is worth it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nas

Do you have any kids? ;D
  That was a favorite job that my Dad would give to us as kids.  Peeling posts and brushing creasote on the bottom 4'.  We usually got more creasote on us than on the posts and then out came the gas to clean it off.  I can tell you the posts are still standing after more than 20 years.  I think the creasote has kept me from rotting too ;)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

thecfarm

We always peeled our ceder.But this was done in the first part of summer.When the bark would peel off real easy.I cannot ever remember cutting ceder and not peeling it.My father said the post lasted longer that way.Sounds good to me.When you're 14 years old,you do what you Father tells you to do.In fact we cut some when I was in my 20's for my other house.Yes,we peeled them than too.Seems like he said there is alot of grit in the bark.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dale Hatfield

peel any post  or atleast part under ground. It will stay tighter in the hole, as their is no bark to rot away and make for lose post.
thats what old timers told me anyway
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

SwampDonkey

It's probably best peeled as suggested, but we never peeled it here for pasture fence. It's darn thin bark and with probably come off in long strips.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

I don't know if the Eastern White you have is like the Atlantic White we have here, but the sapwood of AWC will rot just like pine or oak.  The heartwood is quite rot resistant, though.  You may have to repack the posts after a year or two, whether you peel them or not.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

park ranger

We peel all the posts and the round wood we use in building anything.  I'm not sure but I think powder post beattle eggs are all over the bark and are just waiting to dig in as soon as the tree is cut.  Also sealing the ends is real important as water will wick up and cause rot.  I use black roof patching tar.

SeaBass

I know that cedar is very rot resistent, but to kill 2 bird with 1 stone....another good way to do it is to burn the bottom of your post, just enough so that the exterior become black. That way you dont need to peel off the bark and you just made your post 99% rot resistent. That a very good to do it.

wannabeonetoo

I'm not sure if we can still get cresote here?But is it not pretty hazardous?If coating with roof patch tar ,can it be done after the post is peeled and still somewhat green ?
How does scorching the end only make it so rot resistant ??
    Steve

wannabeonetoo

Forgot to ask : How about driveway sealer/tar , would it work like foundation coating or roof patch as well ???
  Steve

Thank You Sponsors!